CALF WITH SCOURS AND WHITE DISCHARGE FROM NOSE

Help Support CattleToday:

Well the one is still with us we uped his feeding ammount to 3pts 3x day but he didnt want the middle one so after dragging my but out of bed @ 3am (the other day i just got home from work so no sence going to bed id just wait up a while and go feed.) only to freeze my butt off and have him look stupid at me so now hes up to 4pts 2x day and hes ready to eat each time.
he still seems week no more naisal discharge still a little cough but we have watery stool again although this time its all yellow mustard color about the consistancy of FRENCHES mustard. (sorry hope you werent eating a sandwitch!!!ha ha ha) seems realy depressed or lathargic gave him a few shots of banimine seems to help. although when i let him out of his stall he walks a little and jumps and bucks some so its kind of confusing!!! i just hope we can beat the scours and he makes it!!!!

REPOMAN":3fdciy8s said:
although when i let him out of his stall he walks a little and jumps and bucks some so its kind of confusing!!! i just hope we can beat the scours and he makes it!!!!

Repoman, how many hours a day is your calf confined to a stall? I would urge you to try to come up with a way that he can be out in the sunshine and fresh air and still have the stall to go into at night or in the event of bad weather. Calves need sunshine, fresh air, and exercise. Sunshine is pretty darned good medicine (and has the added advantage of killing germs) when it comes to sick calves as is fresh air.

I agree sunshine is the best medicine and fresh air. Glad to hear the last one is still alive. Sometimes with these bugs, they run in cycles, they get better for a week or 2, then wham, they get it again.

Good luck!

GMN

he is inside the barn and i let him out for 30 min or so to romp inside the barn outside is icy and wet

i just noticed a trace of blood in his stool also seemed a milky color around blood and yellow water the rest. hes up and alert but not hungry enough to eat just licks the bottle and keeps trying to suckle my leg but not the bottle i even tried molassis on the nipple not interested!!! ill try taking him for a walk im concerned about the blood now!!!

I'm very new to cattle, but I like to learn and love to read. I came across this not to long ago at a vet site and maybe it could be helpful for you. I'd be interested to know what the more seasoned folks think. I wish you good luck in getting your calf healthy again.

Amy

Clinical Signs:

Organism
When diarrhea first appears
What the diarrhea looks like

E. coli
Birth to 4 days
Watery, yellow, foul odor

Salmonella
14 days or older
Bloody, septic tank odor

Clostridium perfringens
Greater than 10 days
Watery

Rotavirus
4-30 days
Yellow pudding

Coronavirus
1-14 days
Watery and brown

Cryptosporidia
7-35 days
Blood, mucous, undigested milk

Coccidia
21 days or greater
Very loose with blood

if that info is correct and i DO NOT DOUBT IT my calf whould have or has e.coli , colostridium , rotavirus and now cryptosporidia!

if this is right no wonder im fighting to keep him alive and lost the others!!!!

i just walked him a little and he tries to suckle my leg will suck my fingers (decent suction) but not the bottle he'll even chew on dead branches for a second or two and no, he wont drink from the pail yet and doesnt like any grail either.

oh yea his temp is 102.5 a little high hopefully banomine will help that. ....................another day, another prayer.

your calf is exactly doing as mine where doing before death. This can last for a couple days. Go to a drug store... I hope in your country you do'nt need a prescription, get the zithromax and give 2 pills to the calf and cross your finger if it's not too late. After it's gonna be one a day.
On these days, there is no reasons to lose calfs because of scour.

Zithromax is an antibiotic and requires a prescription in the US. While you may be able to find a Dr. who will give you a prescription for your bucket calf, I'm thinking it isn't going to happen. There is no cure for cryptosporidium, all one can do is provide supportive therapy and pray. Get your bucket calves out of the barn into sunshine and fresh air - regardless of whether it's icy or not the sunshine still helps. The quickest way I know of to turn a healthy calf into a sick calf is to lock them up in a barn. I don't mean to be nasty or mean or anything else, just stating facts. Sunshine probably isn't going to have any effect on crypto, but it will on the other sources of scours.

REPOMAN":35ahnlty said:
did the zithromax work because you said yours died ???
did you try any other meds or just the zithromax?
any idea what it is?

I used everything I could find and the vet solded me with no result.

Mine died before I founded zithromax. But since they don't. It work so good that if they get sick that does'nt bother me.
They recover fast and there is absolutely no slow down in the growing. You got to give them the pill at the first sign of the scour.

There is zithromax for sale on the net without prescription.
Probably your vet can get you some as reseach experiment but he will have to fill hundreds of papers...

It's not correct to say that there is no medecine for crypto. There is but not avalable to cattleman yet.

I just share the information with you

Everything seems to be going ok. switched his milk to another brand and tried something off the wall (ill explain later if it works) and he seems to be better he's eating 3 bottles a day i know its alot but hes hungry and too skinny!!!!!! stool is a thick mustard and fever is gone ill post more when there is more to tell
thanks 2 all!!!!!!!!!!!

still going good he still gets 3 bottles a day and is still hungry but as someone else said hungry is good. he is starting to eat calf flakes app. 1-2 cups a day, stool is floppy and grayish brown in color. he seems down today but we went from 50 deg one day to 10 the next and that lasted for 2 days now its raining actually pooring with flood watches thanks for the help mother nature I appreciate it!!! ha ha.
Ill post more as he progresses, (I hope)

I know this is a little late....I just saw this today but I was always taught to give a scouring calf plain yogurt....it puts the good bacteria and 'bugs' back into the calf's stomach that are lost when they start scouring. Mix it in with the milk that you are feeding either when tubing or when they are being bottle fed. This is an age old secret pasted down from one of the best vets we ever had in this area, after my parents had an exeptionally bad outbreak of scours many years ago. We learnt our lesson about buying calves from a feedlot..scoured real bad after they got home and spread it to the entire herd...
And regarding the goats....I would say that you have a good chance of spreading it if you aren't careful, make sure that you wash out those pens that the other calves were in that died...bacteria can live for along time on any surface..javex, javex, javex..everything!!!

EVERYTHING IS STILL ON THE UPSWING!!! sorry theres that yelling again,
hes eating 3x day always hungry and eating good amount of grain (calf flakes) still early yet ill let everyone know when hes on the pail completly thanks to all!!!!!!!

well my little brown swiss is alive and still doing well!!!!!!! hes off milk and on grain (calf flakes)and water and eating like a "cow" we put him out in pasture with the mini horses yesterday and he had a ball running around no more meds no more milk 2x feedings a day of grain and some bread slices as a treat (he'll almost sit and beg for bread)

earlier I said I tried something off the wall well here is what it was it worked for me but I wouldnt tell you to do it.

2 amodium AD tabs 2x day for 3 days then 1 2x a day then 1 1x a day.
2 slices of burnt toast crushed to a powder 2x day for 3 days
2 ibuprofen tabs 2x day for 3-5 days

Another thing to try for future use is mix the milk with 2-3 eggs a day, good source of protein.

GMN