Calf Hock Wound - - cause and treatment ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I have a pen of 14 calves who average 350#. Two of them (who are the poorest doers in the group) suddenly have a open spot (one golf ball sized and one baseball sized) on the top point of their hocks. It is red/gray and looks like the hide is just gone.

Any suggestions on cause and treatment for this part of the rear leg ???

Stocker Steve":2m59vtip said:
I have a pen of 14 calves who average 350#. Two of them (who are the poorest doers in the group) suddenly have a open spot (one golf ball sized and one baseball sized) on the top point of their hocks. It is red/gray and looks like the hide is just gone.

Any suggestions on cause and treatment for this part of the rear leg ???

Sounds like some sort of rub wound.

Get them on to dry ground - clean it off - spray it with some type of wound spray - we use "bleu" - but there are at least 20 - 30 good alternatives out there - hit them with a needle of tetracycline - short or long acting works in this case and then ignore them for a couple of weeks.

Bet they turn out just fine

The secret is dry ground and a wound coating of some type of antibiotic spray.

The needle is just an added protection that cannot hurt and is cheap insurance.

Best of luck

Bez

It could be a simple scrapes, or if the calves are in a muddy / urine area, it could be urine burn --scald.
This time of year when things start to get mucky with break-up ( spring thaw) it is harder to keep animals even somewhat clean and they can tend to get mud /muck related skin /hoof issues more easily.
Best bet is try to keep them clean and a dry place to lay down and like Stocker steve said there are lots of good products that one can use, and I am also partial to "blue stuff" and bag balm. If that doesn't work you may have to go to something stronger from the vets office.

Latest posts