wound

Help Support CattleToday:

Do you know how it happened? ...that's a nice deep fillet cut....I would absolutely need to know where she cut herself and remove that item....it would bother me at night.
we put a new head gate in and she slipped her leg between the bar and metal cover plate. It was a rare thing to happen, it is fixed. she seems to be doing better.

Seems like you have her somewhere inclosed since you can attend the wound on a daily basis?
To wrap or not to wrap. Honestly as long as it isn't infected.....I wouldn't wrap it, let it dry up and the flap will more or less take care of itself. I doubt it would grow back together if you were to wrap it. Let it scab over and keep an eye on it just incase it get's infected.
Put some good wound spray on it and leave it, blue kote or something of that nature. As in giving shots, the only thing I would give is something to get the swelling down, like an anti-inflammatory i.e. Dexamethasone from your vet, but only for a couple of days.
Agree with TexasRancher, be nice to know what caused the cut and remove whatever it is, if that's even possible.
she cut it on a new head gate we put in the fall. her foot slid between the metal shield and pipe. I guess it sliced when we took it out. I didnt notice it until a day or two after turning her out. she is in the catch pen with her mother and another orphan calf. seems to be doing well but not putting weight on it. it seems to be healing. she licks it....so it is taking longer. We did a shot of draxxin and then five days after that a shot of penicillin and pain med for three days I will turn her out with her mother in a one acre lot I call the "step down unit" in a day or two. The catch pen is "critical care".

Latest posts