Calf can’t get up!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Rebekahboo

Reaction score
Okay so I have a 5 month on calf probably around 250 pounds. All of a sudden about 2 days ago he could not stand. So I asked a few cow farmers near me and they said get him a Vitamin b shot. Got that for him now today he has bad diarrhea. Can't stand on his own at all. If I pick him up he still can walk around. And he still wants to eat and drink but he is just not lookin good I dont know what to do any suggestions?

Rebekahboo said:
Okay so I have a 5 month on calf probably around 250 pounds. All of a sudden about 2 days ago he could not stand. So I asked a few cow farmers near me and they said get him a Vitamin b shot. Got that for him now today he has bad diarrhea. Can't stand on his own at all. If I pick him up he still can walk around. And he still wants to eat and drink but he is just not lookin good I dont know what to do any suggestions?
Call your vet and get them out to look at him ASAP. 250 pounds for a 5-month-old calf is small, not knowing what type of calf this is. Have you taken its temperature? Was his mother vaccinated and kept up-to-date on her vaccines? So many questions ...

Rebekahboo said:

Vitamin shot won't help his situation now..he's weak, and dehydrated ..needs a antibiotic and some fluids..

Keep hydrated......

Take temp now and if not high.. check in morning

On sheep I use mineral injection...but you need to look at all the signs first before medicating....

If your not familiar with BVD and other common probs...get vet asap....keep hydrated till then.

I am hoping you called a vet and you will provide us with an update.

What's the latest on the calf. As mentioned 250# is extremely light for a 5 month old calf, but we don't know the circumstances. My first thought is Selenium deficient. It affects large muscles - usually can't get up. But there are soooo many things that could be wrong. Did you take his temperature? that's number 1

250 is prob about what bottle calf....err, mutts, seem to be....on average, at a wag on mine...if a medium beef calf that was on mum, 250 is prob a 3 month sort of size I am thinking ?

Latest posts