Calf buy back by Bull breeders?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
There are several bull breeders in the state who also feed cattle. They promise to bid on your calves if you buy a high dollar bull from them. Do you have any experiences on how well this worked for everyone?

Stocker Steve":265ryvlg said:
There are several bull breeders in the state who also feed cattle. They promise to bid on your calves if you buy a high dollar bull from them. Do you have any experiences on how well this worked for everyone?

It is something I am going to institute this fall when buying calves. The only problem, is most of my bull buyers retain their calves to yearling, so I won't have much to choose from. Hoping it will encourage more producers to buy bulls from me though.

It can be difficult for some operations to pick out cattle that will grow out to make a good set of marketable animals. Buying back your own genetics can be win/win. :cowboy:

Aaron":202vo7gk said:
Stocker Steve":202vo7gk said:

It is something I am going to institute this fall when buying calves. The only problem, is most of my bull buyers retain their calves to yearling, so I won't have much to choose from. Hoping it will encourage more producers to buy bulls from me though.

It can be difficult for some operations to pick out cattle that will grow out to make a good set of marketable animals. Buying back your own genetics can be win/win. :cowboy:

I agree that if your operation can handle it its very good practice to support your customers. I don't even feed out my own calves, but I always try and help my bull customers sell their calves to the same people that buy mine for a little premium over what they would have gotten at the salebarn. Unfortunately you have to handpick the people you can do this with not to hurt your own name out of you kindness

There were some weaned black 530# buy back calves run through the local sales barn (first) last week. They topped the market at $112.50. My red/black sucking calves went through at the end of the same sale and brought $103. Even if the buy back is worth $25 per calf that would pay a bull premium pretty fast.

Your thoughts?

we don't buy back but we do have a local feeder who buys feeder steers sired by bulls we sell, pays top end of the market for them and has done for the last 11 years. we recommend him to any new customers and consider this part of our service to those who use our genetics.

We have been looking at doing this to fill our bred heifer market by buying heifer calves out of our bulls and the managing them and breeding them with our own. We haven't come across too many that want to sell those good hereford cross heifers. We would pay steer price to buy them.

Latest posts