CAB

Help Support CattleToday:

Just for the record - dairy cattle may cut lean - but they generally marble very well. Jersey is the number one marbling breed. :shock:
I for one think the CAB has helped the beef industry tremendously. This program has done more for educating the public that ANGUS is a great eating experience. It doesn't make any difference what breed they are eating - they perceive ANGUS as great beef. So everyone can laugh or poo-poo the program. It works!!
And it gives everyone a better sale market for their cattle - black cattle. And yes, that's why all the breeds jumped on the black band wagon - MONEY.

ViaGen DNA test reveals poor beef labelling

04/08/2004 - Between eight and 50 per cent of US retail beef carrying a label with the name 'Angus' does not meet the USDA criteria for Angus branding, according to a recent DNA test.

Two tests were performed on multiple brands of steaks purchased from retail outlets across central Texas. To get a better handle on the scope of the problem, ViaGen, the US-based animal genomics firm that carried out the experiment, followed up with an analysis of meat from four geographic regions sold under a single brand name.

The results were the same in both cases, indicating this is an industry-wide issue and is not brand or region specific.

Labels containing the word 'Angus' are generally an indicator of top quality meat. Branded beef originated when the American Angus Association created the Certified Angus Beef (CAB) designation in 1978 to boost standards and help consumers reliably identify good beef.

Other independent Angus labels followed. Currently, the determination of the amount of Angus is made by a visual inspection of the whole animal. DNA analysis now shows that manual inspection is not always accurate.

The experiment was carried out using AnguSure and Inducator, two new testing kits developed by ViaGen. The tests separately assess the two most common criteria employed in branded beef programmes certified by the USDA: a minimum of 50 per cent Angus (AnguSure) and minimal Brahman influence (Inducator).

"The industry is doing the best they can with the technology available. But these new tests enable producers, consumers and retailers to benefit from increased brand integrity," said Sara Davis ViaGen president.

About three quarters of the samples that failed one or both tests had higher than desired Brahman influence. While a particularly well-suited breed for hot, southern climates, too much Brahman is associated with increased toughness and poor eating quality. Beef that passes both the AnguSure and Inducator tests should therefore ensure consumer satisfaction.

Testing can also be performed on live animals, which ViaGen argues benefits everyone involved in the production and sale of beef.

Offspring of a bull certified as 100 per cent Angus automatically meet the first criterion for Angus branding. Precertification of live cattle allows ranchers to obtain premium prices for their livestock and helps packers ship beef to wholesalers with absolute confidence in quality.

The tests require only a small blood, hair or meat sample to be shipped to the company's lab. Test results can be delivered in as little as two days. ViaGen expects all parts of the industry, from producers to end users, will take advantage of the offerings. The company claims that the tests will be affordably priced to help many industry segments ensure product quality.

The UK's Food Standards Agency has also been working on DNA-based food quality indicators, with the aim of helping food manufacturers to ensure that the meat-free food eaten by vegetarians and people from certain ethnic groups is not contaminated by meat.

The DNA-based technique called qualitative real-time PCR (QRT-PCR) can identify the presence of meat in supposedly vegetarian produce, even at levels as low as 0.05 per cent, although the exact level depends on the actual food.

Studies aimed at quantifying the adulteration of vegetarian foods by meat have shown reasonable success if the food analysed does not contain dairy produce.

Food contaminated with animal by-products is unacceptable to vegetarians as well as many ethnic groups. It is also recognised that unacceptable adulterating species varies with ethnic group. To date, no satisfactory methods have been developed to detect the adulteration of vegetable products with products of animal origin.

My problem with it, as a consumer who still buys beef in package off the shelf, is it is advertised to be Certified Angus I expect to get angus, not anything else. It's like buying a box of apples and finding half to be pears. The word Certified doesnt mean some.

JMO,
Alan

Alan":1jk7uka2 said:
My problem with it, as a consumer who still buys beef in package off the shelf, is it is advertised to be Certified Angus I expect to get angus, not anything else. It's like buying a box of apples and finding half to be pears. The word Certified doesnt mean some.

JMO,
Alan

Most consumers have no idea what "angus" means when it comes to what they look like. All they generally know is that angus beef is supposed to be better. If it passes the quality standards for certification to be labeled as angus, what's the difference?

dun

dun":rrwka3mf said:
Alan":rrwka3mf said:

JMO,
Alan

Most consumers have no idea what "angus" means when it comes to what they look like. All they generally know is that angus beef is supposed to be better. If it passes the quality standards for certification to be labeled as angus, what's the difference?

dun

I guess the biggest problem and difference I have with it is that not many businesses can get away with that kind of advertising deception (except the government). What would happen if someone advertises certified German Shephard guard dogs and they ship you a cocker spaniel. Just because most people don't know the difference is all the more reason to correct the problem. Just call it what it is, it is not Certified Angus Beef. I don't understand how CAB can get away with this course of advertising while others would be put out of business for doing the same thing.

JMO
Alan

Alan":j77oee53 said:
I guess the biggest problem and difference I have with it is that not many businesses can get away with that kind of advertising deception (except the government). What would happen if someone advertises certified German Shephard guard dogs and they ship you a cocker spaniel. Just because most people don't know the difference is all the more reason to correct the problem. Just call it what it is, it is not Certified Angus Beef. I don't understand how CAB can get away with this course of advertising while others would be put out of business for doing the same thing.

JMO
Alan

CAB is a standard, like the octane ratings on gasoline. Does it matter if it came from chicken------- or from a dead dinosaur? As long as it's gasoline and does it's job that should be enough

dun

I don't see what the big deal is. I think more effort needs to be made to VERIFY that if it says Angus on the package that the calf is INDEED 50% Angus; but do you really believe that a registered Angus tastes much different than a Hereford x Black Sim cross Black Baldie that a stockyard worker wrongly identified as "Angus influenced"? No harm no foul.

Brandonm2":xd3k6f5y said:
I don't see what the big deal is. I think more effort needs to be made to VERIFY that if it says Angus on the package that the calf is INDEED 50% Angus; but do you really believe that a registered Angus tastes much different than a Hereford x Black Sim cross Black Baldie that a stockyard worker wrongly identified as "Angus influenced"? No harm no foul.

Without getting on a soap box, I'm sure that it does not taste any different. My problem is the advertising, how does CAB get away with calling it certified angus beef when it may not be angus? That the things lawsuits are made of.

Alan

dun":2rq7fd62 said:
Alan":2rq7fd62 said:

JMO,
Alan

dun
a angus to most city folks will look like a holstein .thats the general publics idea of beef cattle :cboy:

dun":169wpfor said:
Alan":169wpfor said:

JMO
Alan

CAB is a standard, like the octane ratings on gasoline. Does it matter if it came from chicken------- or from a dead dinosaur? As long as it's gasoline and does it's job that should be enough

dun

Interesting comment Dun.

Certified Shepherd Guard Dogs - the Cocker Spaniel may meet ALL of the requirements, but it is NOT a Shepherd.

So if the cow meets the standard - must be a black hided and have certain whatevers to make the grade - it can be certified as CAB.

Somewhat like being "a little bit pregnant".

I for one will likely be called envious - in fact I am not - we sell all our red and white animals out the front gate at a premium now - but the fact remains - at least to me:

CAB could be realistically called a false advertiser.

If I chose to be harsh I could say that CAB program is a bold faced lie and should be forced to live up to the three words -

CERTIFIED ANGUS BEEF.

It either IS or it ISN't Angus.

While there are serious arguments that can be made to support CAB - no one in his / her right mind would willingly stand up and categorically state ONLY Anugus beef get to be CAB. It simply is not true.

Perhaps that is why there are those who scorn certain programs - due to their potential and indeed probable dishonesty.

It is my belief that CAB is actually hurting the industry as a whole due to this - black is better - the almighty dollar has created a monster that will change the look of various breeds of cattle forever and not necessarily for the better.

The public - most of the time does not really care - hence the ability to propogate this phenomenon called CAB.

The Angus org should be glad of this - lawsuits can become expensive.

Bez!

Alan":d9z5c4kb said:
Brandonm2":d9z5c4kb said:

Without getting on a soap box, I'm sure that it does not taste any different. My problem is the advertising, how does CAB get away with calling it certified angus beef when it may not be angus? That the things lawsuits are made of.

Alan

According to the government "Angus" is what a skilled packing plant employee says it is. With most "Angus" products that is good enough. (without sounding too arrogant) I bet I am more qualified than most of the people at the packer whose job it is to declare calves "Angus" or "NOT Angus" and I bet that a bunch of the Black Lims, Sims, Salers, Senepols, etc crosses would still be wrongly identified as Angus even if I were making the call.

Alan":14fu09xl said:
Brandonm2":14fu09xl said:

Alan

I could tell you that I'm certified in CPR. Would you automaticall assume that I'm an EMT?

Bez!":3dc2b39a said:
dun":3dc2b39a said:
Alan":3dc2b39a said:

JMO
Alan

dun

Interesting comment Dun.

Certified Shepherd Guard Dogs - the Cocker Spaniel may meet ALL of the requirements, but it is NOT a Shepherd.

So if the cow meets the standard - must be a black hided and have certain whatevers to make the grade - it can be certified as CAB.

I for one will likely be called envious - in fact I am not - we sell all our red and white animals out the front gate at a premium now - but the fact remains - at least to me:

If I chose to be harsh I could say that CAB program is a bold faced lie and should be forced to live up to the three words -

CERTIFIED ANGUS BEEF.

While there are serious arguments that can be made to support CAB - no one in his / her right mind would willingly stand up and categorically state ONLY Anugus beef get to be CAB. It simply is not true.

Perhaps that is why there are those who scorn certain programs - due to their potential and indeed probable dishonesty.

It is my belief that CAB is actually hurting the industry as a whole due to this - black is better - the almighty dollar has created a monster that will change the look of various breeds of cattle forever and not necessarily for the better.

The public - most of the time does not really care - hence the ability to propogate this phenomenon called CAB.

Bez!

That is way off base.

Nobody claims CAB is 100% Angus. Read the guidelines. Also, meritless lawsuits don't last long.

CAB is a brand. Like Wal-Mart, etc.

People like CAB. The proof is in the pudding. They also like choice and prime. CAB found a way to differentiate itself and is reaping the rewards with satisfied repeat customers.

lakading":2vv2l0tq said:
I could tell you that I'm certified in CPR. Would you automaticall assume that I'm an EMT?

That is not even close to being the same comparision. CAB is advertising that they are certifying that they are marketing Angus beef by the use of the name Certified Angus Beef. Angus is a breed of cattle, not just cow meat.

To me it's like going into a resturant and ordering a gourmet hamburger for 10 bucks and having them bring me a Big Mac, then telling me it's still a hamburger most people don't know the difference.

Alan

As it has been said on here at least 100 times, if they had only named it what it is: Certified Quality Beef, instead of what it may or may not be: Certified Angus Beef, this wouldn't even be an issue. I don't think anybody is questioning the quality of CAB, just the misleading nature of the name. JMO.

El_Putzo":205xaoa4 said:
As it has been said on here at least 100 times, if they had only named it what it is: Certified Quality Beef, instead of what it may or may not be: Certified Angus Beef, this wouldn't even be an issue. I don't think anybody is questioning the quality of CAB, just the misleading nature of the name. JMO.

Bingo!

lakading":1lt1g5j9 said:
Bez!":1lt1g5j9 said:
dun":1lt1g5j9 said:
Alan":1lt1g5j9 said:

JMO
Alan

dun

Interesting comment Dun.

CERTIFIED ANGUS BEEF.

Bez!

That is way off base.

Nobody claims CAB is 100% Angus. Read the guidelines. Also, meritless lawsuits don't last long.

CAB is a brand. Like Wal-Mart, etc.

People like CAB. The proof is in the pudding. They also like choice and prime. CAB found a way to differentiate itself and is reaping the rewards with satisfied repeat customers.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You are obviously a believer.

CAB = Certified Angus Beef :p :p :p

In fact - often it is not. As indicated by the post presented by MikeC.

Prove them wrong. In essence it is a put up or shut up scenario.

CAB is simply advertising - and it is often false advertising - and there is a serious effort to perpetuate the lie in this advertising.

The facts appear to be there.

Bez!

I'm not an Angus breeder but I will give the Angus Association a big thumbs up for the excellent job they've done in marketing their breed and making Angus a household word.

Frankie wrote:

There is no requirement that the animal be Angus, but Angus is the only breed of black cattle in the US, so the black is considered proof of Angus influence.

I'm not trying to start anything here but I do have a question-How is Angus the only black breed in the US? I though most all beef breeds had gone black now. Yep, I believe they got their color from Angus influence. Did Brangus start out black or red? I rarely ever see a Limousin or Simmental now that isn't black. So does this mean that they can have as little as maybe 1/16th Angus from the cross way back when that turned them black, maybe they're actually Beefmaster or Gelbvieh and still be considered Angus? Let's put it this way-if I'm 1/4 Cherokee am I considered Native American or Caucasian (which is how I'm listed)?

I wonder how the folks at the slaughter house determine if an animal is Angus or not? What if a bunch of my dad's black Gelbvieh cross calves run through there? They're out of Beefmaster cows but most have very little or no ear and leather so they basically look like a bunch of Angus or Angus influenced calves. They certainly sell well at the barn. For that matter, I always wonder about the black Longhorn cross calves that we sell, they're out of Beefmaster cross cows too. They bring top dollar at the barn, some have scurs and some don't. Did those calves wind up selling as CAB? I bet they did.

Then I would like to take a poll of the American people and ask them what an Angus cow looks like. I've had folks ask me if a Longhorn and an Angus were the same???? :shock: I also had someone say they thought the black and white spotted cows out in the fields were Angus. I think they were actually referring to Holsteins :)

I always find it interesting that it seems that if it's black it brings more at the salebarn. Now, why would it bring more when you sell it if it's not Angus and it's not going to be marketed as such? I think alot of folks buy certified Angus beef that is certified beef but probably not Angus. It just seems like false advertising if an animal that is not Angus can be marketed and sold at a premium price as Angus. Again, I'm not down on Angus or Angus breeders, just don't quite get it though.

Alan":2lt2jw79 said:
lakading":2lt2jw79 said:

That is not even close to being the same comparision. CAB is advertising that they are certifying that they are marketing Angus beef by the use of the name Certified Angus Beef. Angus is a breed of cattle, not just cow meat.

To me it's like going into a resturant and ordering a gourmet hamburger for 10 bucks and having them bring me a Big Mac, then telling me it's still a hamburger most people don't know the difference.

Alan

Again, you're trying to REDEFINE what Certified Angus is. It is not up to you to decide. There are guidelines. If you buy a product that you are uninformed about, then you haven't done your due dilligence. Ignorance not an excuse.

It's the same as car manufacturers saying that their cars are American made. If you research it, I'm sure you'll find that many of them have some foreign aspects to them. It is still up to the consumer to conduct due dilligence before they make the CONSCIOUS DECISION to purchase.

Bez!":3cyw70e1 said:
CAB is simply advertising - and it is often false advertising - and there is a serious effort to perpetuate the lie in this advertising.

Go back and read the CAB guidelines and then present your so-called "facts" behind your false advertising/lie accusations.

Definition of Certified: endorsed authoritatively as having met certain requirements.

Latest posts