CAB

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I under the impression CAB stands for Certified Angus Beef, that may be my first mistake. But if so, how can it be CAB if it is not even Angus?

Please correct my mistakes or explain it to me.

Thanks,
Alan

Alan":sb8o0uag said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I under the impression CAB stands for Certified Angus Beef, that may be my first mistake. But if so, how can it be CAB if it is not even Angus?

Thanks,
Alan

Certified Angus Beef is a USDA approved program. One of the live animal requirements is that the animal be more than half black. There is no requirement that the animal be Angus, but Angus is the only breed of black cattle in the US, so the black is considered proof of Angus influence.

Here's a link to the USDA site for branded beef programs. The CAB link is listed first of the branded beef programs. You can click on it and read the requirements.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/certprog/certbeef.htm

Frankie":xbbagnmy said:
Alan":xbbagnmy said:

Thanks,
Alan

Certified Angus Beef is a USDA approved program. One of the live animal requirements is that the animal be more than half black. There is no requirement that the animal be Angus, but Angus is the only breed of black cattle in the US, so the black is considered proof of Angus influence.

Here's a link to the USDA site for branded beef programs. The CAB link is listed first of the branded beef programs. You can click on it and read the requirements.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/certprog/certbeef.htm

What if I had a Holstien steer that was 70% black? Could it be consider for the CAB program if I met other criteria?
Alan

It isn't Purebred Angus Beef (PAB), it's CAB. ;-)

As for your dairy steer question, follow the guidelines. If he meets the criteria, he's eligible.

I wonder if those boys breaking into the balck herf market are interested in hitting the cab?

:oops: :oops: Did I just say that???

:lol:

Bez!

Those of you that bash it consider this. Most breeds that have multi colors, Simmies- red or blk, limos-red or blk, Maines, and on. Blk came from were. Angus. Tell me who is to blame. AAA created CAB for breeders to add value to their animals that were Angus sired. They did and every one else jumped on board. I watched 45 simie bulls sale on the 9th. Two were red. Jsut as good as the blks. Sold for 1400, the blks went 2000 plus. Both times Ken Jordan stated " if they were blk they would sell for double." Don't rip Angus cattle as a breed becasue other breeders turned their cattle blk.

Alan":2ihloycj said:
What if I had a Holstien steer that was 70% black? Could it be consider for the CAB program if I met other criteria?
Alan

According to the website that lakading gave at the top of this thread, animals that display obvious dairy characteristics would be excluded. Besides, most dairy beef is very lean, but would have a more difficult time grading choice, which is what CAB is after.

Scotty":2bfopzv6 said:
Those of you that bash it consider this. Most breeds that have multi colors, Simmies- red or blk, limos-red or blk, Maines, and on. Blk came from were. Angus. Tell me who is to blame. AAA created CAB for breeders to add value to their animals that were Angus sired. They did and every one else jumped on board. I watched 45 simie bulls sale on the 9th. Two were red. Jsut as good as the blks. Sold for 1400, the blks went 2000 plus. Both times Ken Jordan stated " if they were blk they would sell for double." Don't rip Angus cattle as a breed becasue other breeders turned their cattle blk.

Bash what - no cab where I come from. Leastways none that makes the market as anything other than beef.

I figure lots of black came from dairy - including some of those big angus - but then what do I know? I am just a dumb farmer.

I always get a laugh out of how sensitive folks are over this cab mystique.

Bez!

Sure BEZ why would we want to come to the
Breeds Board :Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed. One more time a debate over cattle can not be discussed without sarcasm and sinicism.

Scotty":1b04gzt6 said:
Sure BEZ why would we want to come to the
Breeds Board :Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed. One more time a debate over cattle can not be discussed without sarcasm and sinicism.

I wondered how long it would be before the fish started nibbling. I only raise those worthless red white faces so I have nothing to defend voraciously. Most all of them even have the dreaded "horn disease". Makes them taste just horrible. 8)

No one wants them anyways - so how else can I have a little fun. Sensitive folks. Tsk. Tsk.

I actually thought my Black Herf comment was funny - seems you did not.

I will leave you alone now - while it is real seldom I go fishing in the Angus community - you folks as a rule do not take ribbing lightly - there is always someone who rises to the bait. 8)

Bez!

black hereford? they dont exist, please dont tell me someone is trying to register black herefords as a breed.

topsquar":36cg2oek said:
black hereford? they dont exist, please dont tell me someone is trying to register black herefords as a breed.

You know something son - I am just having a little fun at the expense of the usually oversensitive Black Angus folks - they squeal loud and hard when you drop the right type of lure in front of them. I generally only pick on them about twice a year - lots of others do it on a regular basis.

You can see how my polite little jest was received - proving my point in spades.

I could ramp it up a bit - but then it would just get out of hand and one of them might be suffering from high blood pressure - do not want a heart attack on my concience.

Let's not get ME stirred up tho'.

Tell you what - go do a search under Black Herfords and start your own thread to pick on someone!

Bez!

Bez!":2zt9m868 said:
topsquar":2zt9m868 said:

You know something son - I am just having a little fun at the expense of the usually oversensitive Black Angus folks - they squeal loud and hard when you drop the right type of lure in front of them. I generally only pick on them about twice a year - lots of others do it on a regular basis.

You can see how my polite little jest was received - proving my point in spades.

I could ramp it up a bit - but then it would just get out of hand and one of them might be suffering from high blood pressure - do not want a heart attack on my concience.

Let's not get ME stirred up tho'.

Tell you what - go do a search under Black Herfords and start your own thread to pick on someone!

Bez!

It's unfortunate to have those reactions. The market demands Angus so there is no need to get defensive.

Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion. If it's any consolation, I thought your black hereford comment was a little funny. ;-)

once you peel the skin of a black hereford is it any diferent to a normal hereford? no i doubt it? taste different ? no i doubt it,
grow faster nah doubt it. hey lets breed black charolais another joke, i would be imbarrased to advertise myself as being a black charolais producer. or black hereford if you want black herefords =angus x hereford=blackbaldie. so simple why bother trying to produce purebred black herefords,maybe its for the club calf seen or the big 10ha ranches. :lol:

topsquar":3oqfkqjl said:
hey lets breed black charolais another joke, i would be imbarrased to advertise myself as being a black charolais producer.

Hate to be the one to break the news to you, but there are black charolais already, red ones too

dun

Latest posts