Should this be CAB standards?

Help Support CattleToday:

Just cause it maybe straight bred angus doesn;t gaurantee the marbling nad succulence he's prattling on about. In reality the CAB standard is more of a sure thing for eating pleasure then a DNA test. This guy sounds to me like he's trying to cut himself a share of something

They still have to meet the requiered grade for the market, only it cannot be sold as Aberdeen Angus unless sired by an Angus bull, benefitting bull and semen sales. (The same applies for all breeds under EU marketing laws.)

andybob":2pr1h2gw said:
They still have to meet the requiered grade for the market, only it cannot be sold as Aberdeen Angus unless sired by an Angus bull, benefitting bull and semen sales. (The same applies for all breeds under EU marketing laws.)
To me, it sounds like a marketing 'tool' above all else.

andybob":2qlnk6nc said:

required grade for market in the UK pays no heed to marbling, succulence or anything else, only fat cover and retail yield (conformation, muscling) and in my view the modern UK angus is a discount fullblood Limousin (exhibit A http://www.sligoai.com/shop/26073 ) look at the second bull down!

robert":1rp60rxx said:
andybob":1rp60rxx said:

required grade for market in the UK pays no heed to marbling, succulence or anything else, only fat cover and retail yield (conformation, muscling) and in my view the modern UK angus is a discount fullblood Limousin (exhibit A http://www.sligoai.com/shop/26073 ) look at the second bull down!

OH my...... :shock:

The main point was that shouldn't a product endorsed by a breed society benefit the members/breeders of that society in marketing their product, ensuring good sales in bulls and semen for commercial breeders?
The demand in supermarkets in the UK is for "healthy/lean" beef, but the better quality markets selling branded British breeds sell well marbled beef, the "Scotch Beef" is 100% Aberdeen Angus, early weaned and finished on barley producing a highly marbled white fat beef popular in the export trade to Europe, the "Barley Beef" is similar, usually 18 mths barley finished, mostly Shorthorn and Angus. All my beef and Buffalo comes off the farm so is top of the line, well marbled (beef) which is also hung for 21 days in the on site abattoir.

Sure why not?
But, Can the end market consumers in the UK not tell a good quality joint of beef from one of a lesser quality without some "Certified xxxxx Beef" label on it?
I do know tho, that when wife and I go eat Mexican food, I always ask if they use Certified Texas Pinto Beans in their frioles--I ain't takin no chance I might get a refried New Mexican pinto bean. (They always look at me like I'm nuts--but I don't care--I gotta know!)
And I want someone to come up with a little handheld air sampler too, so every morning when I walk out the house, I can be assured I'm breathing Certified East Texas Air too, not some of that ol nasty Oklahoma or Mexico air that gets blown in here ever once in a while. Ain't no sense taking any chances..
:D

There has been a tendency for dishonest supermarkets to package imported beef as 'British', certified brands cannot be mis-labled without prosecution, so there is a preference toward buying branded products amongst people supporting local producers, a growing trend here!
Back home in Rhodesia, we didn,t have imported products due to us being net exporters, and U.N. sanctions restricting what we were able to (illegally) import. Rhodesian beef was branded entirely by grade and sold under the "REX" trademark, colour and breed were of no importance, but British and Sanga breeds and crosses gave the marbeling sought by many importing countries, setting a high standard for which the brand was famous. The contrast with countries which have specfic branded products makes an interesting subject for discussion for me.

andybob":2o6fbsmw said:
There has been a tendency for dishonest supermarkets to package imported beef as 'British', certified brands cannot be mis-labled without prosecution, so there is a preference toward buying branded products amongst people supporting local producers, a growing trend here!

Yep, no matter what the true content is, that brand and label makes it a better product automatically.
That's why I insist on those Certified Texas Frioles. The foreign (Non-Texas) brands taste like I just ate the glue side of a CAB label.

Yes, it is an interesting and somewhat entertaining subject for sure. I go to another restarunt in Porter Texas that advertises "Only Nolan Ryan Beef!"--(Beefmasters). Never have I had a bad steak there--so it absolutely, positively must be true. right?
:roll:

the main point of a branded product is to establish or capitalize upon name recognition, after that you want to insure nothing screws that up, do non-angus cattle qualify for CAB? Sure they do, but if they meet all the standards live and on the rail they can do no harm to the brand. No harm, no foul simple as that.