Buying heavy bred cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Calhoun Farm

Reaction score
With the price of calves getting higher by the week I'm thinking of buying a load of bred cows this next go round. I normally buy stockers and raise them to about 650-700, but I don't see the risk vs reward being there as its possible prices could drop from what I would be paying to what they would bring 7months later. Not worth the chance to me. I'm pretty anal about getting what I own up to date on vaccinations and was curious what shots should I give preg cows? For steers I normally do worming (injectable), 7way blackleg and LA300 for any pinkeye issues. I had a reg bull sometime back and I give him 2 rounds of resp vaccine (mod live).

When I have bought breds, I only gave dewormer. Too scared of aborting calves when giving vaccines, not knowing about previous vaccination history. And that was when good breds were $900, not $1500-2000. Doctor them up after they calve. :2cents:

A problem with bred cows is that they may come out of a closed herd with limited vaccination history, and the stress of moving them gets you into trouble. Bred heifers are the worst. So

Recommended:
7 way w/ pinkeye x 2
killed respiratory x 2
wormer
ear tag
pneumonia

Optional:
multi min
scour guard
antibiotic

Where are you planning on buying a load of heavy breed cows? At the market here it would take months to buy a lot of breed cows just not that many being sold.

pricefarm":4g7pl065 said:
Where are you planning on buying a load of heavy breed cows? At the market here it would take months to buy a lot of breed cows just not that many being sold.

I wondered the same
Do you use n order buyer ?

My local barns normally has 10-20 every time I've been, I've just never bid on them because I was there for calves.

I did this for years. I always gave them an 8 way (mostly for Red Water), a pasturella shot, two rounds of killed virus respiratory, worm, and a blast of LA 200 for any bugs they picked up at the sale barn. If there was enough time until they calved I would give them a scour shot, but you need a couple months before they calf for that to work.

Latest posts