Buying bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Ya know... I hear a lot of people say you can't use a young bull on a lot of cows, but I have. The last bull I bought was a black Angus out of a red Angus cow, from a high powered breeder that only had the red cow because he had a kid that liked it and he gave it to the kid. One of the best looking Angus I've ever seen and I got him cheap because, of course, he was heterozygous. He was 18 months old and I put him on forty cows, and he settled them all. I don't know your situation but I'd look at the (long) yearlings with the idea that they will be older when I would be using them.
I have two other bulls, would that be a problem putting a yearling in with them. I was thinking it would be better to at least have a two year old bull.

I have observed the same people that are cheap on bulls also bi+ch about their calves not bringing enough in the fall. 😉
There is something to be said about that. My bulls I have now came from the same breeder, and I can't complain about them. Sometimes one has to buy what you can afford.

Ya know... I hear a lot of people say you can't use a young bull on a lot of cows, but I have. The last bull I bought was a black Angus out of a red Angus cow, from a high powered breeder that only had the red cow because he had a kid that liked it and he gave it to the kid. One of the best looking Angus I've ever seen and I got him cheap because, of course, he was heterozygous. He was 18 months old and I put him on forty cows, and he settled them all. I don't know your situation but I'd look at the (long) yearlings with the idea that they will be older when I would be using them.
They grow into the job.

Ken

Y
I have two other bulls, would that be a problem putting a yearling in with them. I was thinking it would be better to at least have a two year old bull.
Yes, a yearling should be used as a single sire or put out with another yearling, buy two yearlings. Even a virgin 2 yr old I would prefer to see him run as a single sire to give him a chance to learn the ropes and he probably would not be up to battling with mature bulls either.

Ken

Y

Yes, a yearling should be used as a single sire or put out with another yearling, buy two yearlings. Even a virgin 2 yr old I would prefer to see him run as a single sire to give him a chance to learn the ropes and he probably would not be up to battling with mature bulls either.

Ken
I like to put a yearling or three with each breeding group. They keep he old boys on their toes as the yearlings do a lot more hunting and the old bulls aren't going to pass up an opportunity. Other times when the older ones are fighting a young bull will sneak in and do the job.

Even a virgin 2 yr old I would prefer to see him run as a single sire to give him a chance to learn the ropes and he probably would not be up to battling with mature bulls either.
He'll get his mettle tested for sure and probably the very 1st day..
Better really enjoy rebuilding fences...

He'll get his mettle tested for sure and probably the very 1st day..
Better really enjoy rebuilding fences...
I turned that bull I posted in the pic on the bull thread a little early with some cows to get acquainted and situated. There was a couple open so I thought he could get some practice before the older bull got dropped in.

When I took the 2nd older bull it took 3 min. 😄

20230301_114118.jpg

I am kind of worried that the young bull will get ganged up on by my older bulls. Dad talks about that they used to put kerosine on the rumps of all the bulls so they all smelled the same when they interduce a new bull into the mix.

These are good folks. Sight unseen guarantee. Their sale is April 13.
This is a 2023 sale information. They sell older bulls. I think the bulls sell reasonably.
Veteran WY--bulls sell at Torrington.

I have observed the same people that are cheap on bulls also bi+ch about their calves not bringing enough in the fall. 😉
To some extent you are correct... but there are cheap bulls and there are cheap bulls. Look at the threads on this forum where people post pics of their bulls. A lot of the animals should have been cut. Some, I'm sure, were low priced. Others were more expensive than they should have been. A lot of people buy papers or EPDs without looking at the bull. Without even knowing what makes a bull look like a breeding prospect. With no understanding of how conformation sells the product they are producing.

There is a basic failure in buying bulls, cheap or otherwise. The people bidding on your feeder calves aren't researching your EPDs or concerned with a pedigree. They are looking at calves based on what use they hope to get from them. They are looking at breed, conformation, health, and consistency.

Cheap bulls can be money makers and expensive bulls can be expensive mistakes... but generally speaking more money buys better bulls (unless you are shopping on Craigslist?).

I am kind of worried that the young bull will get ganged up on by my older bulls. Dad talks about that they used to put kerosine on the rumps of all the bulls so they all smelled the same when they interduce a new bull into the mix.
If you have a big enough lot the new young bull can get away and not get smashed into a corner, he should be fine. Bulls aren't like horses where they will mercilessly chase something and run it down. The young bull should have more speed and endurance to not get mashed. The main thing is there has to be room for the newcomer to evade. Or put him in a pen next to the older bulls for a couple days and let them get the beller out before turning them all together.

In smaller pastures, I like to have an odd number of bulls up to at least 3 (so 1 bull or 3 bulls). That way if 2 are busy squaring off, the third one can get the cow. With just two bulls, especially the same age, seems they are both at the hot cow and neither one can get a jump in without risking getting his stifle blown out or his hooter broke from a dirty side shot by the other bull. I have used an older bull in with a younger bull before and they seemed to get along fine and the younger bull made the older bull hustle a lot more.

On big multi-sire pastures, I know of several strategies, including turning the yearlings out first for the initial 21-day cycle and gathering them and putting in the older bulls or putting in the older bulls for the first cycle then kicking out the yearlings so they can go find whatever they find to clean up.

A few years back I was looking for a Hereford bull and potentially some heifers so I drove a pretty good ways to a fairly well known ranch for their sale. Drug the trailer up there, got a hotel, the whole deal. I got to the ranch real early and got signed up. When I started walking then pens, some of their cowboys were talking as they saddled up about what bulls they did not catch. They were going out to rope them one by one.

That was a definite red flag for me but I figured I would have no issue spotting them as they ran by.

Got my wish list togther and put some numbers beside them.

As I sat down and got situated some guys came out and set up several big tv screens in front of the normal half circle ring.

No animals actually went by. It was videos of them on tv. I was pissed. I didnt by any thing. As I was leaving out the manager asked me if I found any thing I liked. He got an ear full. He told me they decided to do it like that last minute because it was easier on the animals. 🤬
Out here in California, all the production sales have put tv's in the sale ring. I talked to an outfit who made the change and he said that they get an extra thousand dollars a bull and don't have to hire a crew to bring the bulls through the ring. Going to bull sales is no longer fun for me, they remind me too much of Vegas. Free booze, free food, if you want a coke you have to go into the kid's line. By the end of the sale, the buyers were so drunk the don't know what they are doing.
Most people who buy bulls from the $10,000 a bull outfits are buying status symbols not genetics. With AI and Embryo transplant, the same genetics can be had for half the money at a Ma and Pa breeder's sale or a third the money private treaty.

Most people who buy bulls from the $10,000 a bull outfits are buying status symbols not genetics. With AI and Embryo transplant, the same genetics can be had for half the money at a Ma and Pa breeder's sale or a third the money private treaty.
There certainly are a lot of people nowadays that seem to thrive on spending money and letting everyone know they did. My family always bragged too... about how they found something in the weeds, bought it cheap, and it ended up being of great value.

It doesn't seem to matter which kind of bragging people do. There are spenders that get even wealthier, just as there are those that get ahead finding value in tarnished goods.

But I gotta admit that it irks me no end when I hear someone bragging about how much they spent on something, especially when their cattle are no better than mine.

Out here in California, all the production sales have put tv's in the sale ring. I talked to an outfit who made the change and he said that they get an extra thousand dollars a bull and don't have to hire a crew to bring the bulls through the ring. Going to bull sales is no longer fun for me, they remind me too much of Vegas. Free booze, free food, if you want a coke you have to go into the kid's line. By the end of the sale, the buyers were so drunk the don't know what they are doing.
It blows my mind. I won't even buy bulls crowded up in pens. I want to walk and push them around to see how they move. Genetics don't mean squat if they can't chase a cow down and do the deal.

I use to buy some Brangus bulls froma guy a little north of us when I was a lot younger. He was real laid back and patient with me. Always giving pointers but never pressured me or any thing. After buying a few we got to know each other pretty good. I went to buy a Brangus and we looked through the bulls and got to talking just general cattle.

He said, come with me to this another place we got. We got about 20 Angus plus type bulls over there. I moaned a little but he said... just come look.

We drove over there and they were sure enough nice. He's pitching their growth, and easy to handle, and they will make you more money... the whole 9.

... I gave him the... I understand, but will they hold up? He guaranteed me if they didn't he would replace it with a Brangus no questions asked.

We walked around the little pasture and I was kind of sifting through them. I zeroed in on one that was a meat wagon and moved like a cat. He was just chillin along the fence letting us admire him about 200yds from an alley to their pens.

I looked at him and said... if you and I can walk him to the pens and load him I will take him. He laughed and we shook on it.

We walked him nice and easy right up to the lane with all the other bulls out grazing. I was impressed he would single out like that. Right at the gate to the pens he did a little turn back and tried to dip out. We both did a side jump and cut him off and spun him back to the pens.

We both laughed. He said... you were almost off the hook. 🤣

We bought one more Angus + from him then went full BA. He gets all the credit for getting me away from composites.

When we were buying Limousin bulls, one of the breeders went to a sale with me. I found a really good looking 1/2 Limousin bull. I'll never forget what she told me, "that's what you want to raise, not what you want to buy."

Friend snuck in and bought this 2 year old bull through an internet sale for $3750.

I guess tastes have changed. A lot of the bulls I see today lack masculinity and have no rumps, and they are often pot bellied. To me that means they will dress out in lower percentages. Leaves me wondering if this is a result of the fascination with calving ease.

I'd still bet that the bulls I used would outperform present day bulls in every way concerning carcass traits, except maybe average rib eye area.

Latest posts