Buying bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

I am kind of worried that the young bull will get ganged up on by my older bulls. Dad talks about that they used to put kerosine on the rumps of all the bulls so they all smelled the same when they interduce a new bull into the mix.
I put Talleywacker with Woody & Willy right off the bat when I got him as a yearling last year. Of course, it was "off season" in the bull pasture, so no ladies to fight over. And they're together again. No problems whatsoever. He's young (just turned 2) but he's not stupid - he's not interested in in getting his azz whipped. Woody & Willy will occasionally head butt him but only when there's cubes. Took this pic yesterday: 1678540559056.jpeg

I put Talleywacker with Woody & Willy right off the bat when I got him as a yearling last year. Of course, it was "off season" in the bull pasture, so no ladies to fight over. And they're together again. No problems whatsoever. He's young (just turned 2) but he's not stupid - he's not interested in in getting his azz whipped. Woody & Willy will occasionally head butt him but only when there's cubes. Took this pic yesterday: View attachment 27360
U seem to be missing that pesky 4th bull!
😝

I like private treaty over a sale because you're not under the pressure to buy within minutes. We missed on buying the bull we wanted , got out of my price range , #2 went for even more and wound up buying another that looked sound and was the breeding I wanted . Got him home and he started limping. Figured he was sore from a 3 hr trailer ride but didn't get better . Had a corn between his hoofs that you had to look close to see . Breeder made him up but made me leery of big sales .

I guess tastes have changed. A lot of the bulls I see today lack masculinity and have no rumps, and they are often pot bellied. To me that means they will dress out in lower percentages. Leaves me wondering if this is a result of the fascination with calving ease.

I'd still bet that the bulls I used would outperform present day bulls in every way concerning carcass traits, except maybe average rib eye area.
I agree. I've noticed that some Black Angus breeders are using Rito 707 sons, like Rito 707 of Ideal again. Those are OLD bulls. The industry had great cattle in the 70's and 80's then went to extremes (IMO). When that happened, Black Angus bulls in the stud books were bigger than the Simmentals. The factory was on the back burner, so I think now breeders are looking at making better females and that is why old bulls are being used. We used pretty much Rito line of cattle (Rito 054, Rito 0203, etc) and were always happy with them, but we were selling purebred Black Angus heifers for a premium over the steers so carcass wasn't as important.

Last edited:
Did your fences improve? What's keeping him out?
They did fix the fence. But had to move the herd because the pond dried up from the drought & didn't want to have to haul water. I was never so happy when I saw them bring in the portable pens & trailers. Good riddance!!!

I like private treaty over a sale because you're not under the pressure to buy within minutes. We missed on buying the bull we wanted , got out of my price range , #2 went for even more and wound up buying another that looked sound and was the breeding I wanted . Got him home and he started limping. Figured he was sore from a 3 hr trailer ride but didn't get better . Had a corn between his hoofs that you had to look close to see . Breeder made him up but made me leery of big sales .
Last bull sale we went to was one, giant cluster. The bulls were all pretty chill in the pens prior to the sale but they didn't run 'em through a ring, the sale was via video inside their huge barn. Either the videos weren't in sync, or it was going too fast because one bull we bought wasn't the one we thought we bid on. Turned out even better because he ended up being my all-time fave bull (Dick). The other bull was great in the pens, but he loaded hot, never EVER trusted his nasty 'tude and we ended up selling him the next year because he tried to take out Mr. TC. After that, private treaty all the way. I may end up paying more - and I may not. Regardless, it's worth it in my world. Plus, we've established a solid relationship with our current breeder and I now just call him, tell him what I want, and he delivers.

Agreed!
I don't care for either one of the Baldy bulls, but who asked me? 🤣
I think Cowboy Ram can do better...much better.
When somebody offers two pics of two different bulls I'll offer an opinion between the two choices. But just like any guy that thinks he's tough, there is always someone tougher. If someone wants to offer fifty pics I'll still offer an opinion... and likely think there are better choices I haven't seen.

I appreciate the opinions. I think I am going to go look at the first bull Saturday, well unless I buy one at Tuesdays bull sale. I am not really all that excited about the second bull. That second bull looks a bit drawn up in the flank.

I appreciate the opinions. I think I am going to go look at the first bull Saturday, well unless I buy one at Tuesdays bull sale. I am not really all that excited about the second bull. That second bull looks a bit drawn up in the flank.
I hope you will find something that produces high priced calves... best of luck.

He looks tall and narrow to me.
Good luck!! May the best bull win!

Talked to the neighbor this morning. He bought 3 bulls at River Bend Ranch in Idaho Falls this weekend. His first time buying there. He said it is quiet an operation. They have a buy back program. You use their bulls they bid on your calves. They have built a packing plant there. Said that there several hundred bulls averaged $10,000. The bulls he bought cost $8,000, $8,000, & $7,500.

Latest posts