buying a set of corriente or longhorn cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

bball":35hi3920 said:
True Grit Farms":35hi3920 said:
There's no debate about it dairy cows grade and taste better than beef cows on a percentage basis.

I did not know this. Thank you. I learned something.
This dairy subject was beat to death a few years back on another post and to this day I don't know why people that say that are not runny dairy bulls on their cows or dairy cows for that matter but they are not.
just another debate that is a waste of time.
But Holstein cows got to be good most of them are at least 1/2 black in color.

No one is saying dairy cattle make the best feedlot cattle.
It is a FACT that they MARBLE better than beef cattle. Jersey being number one.
This does not mean everyone should be breeding to them. Let's get real.
MEAT and conversion of feed to muscle plays a big role in what does well on the feedlot.
Heavy milking is highly correlated to marbling. that is why Simmental is a high marbling breed.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":zn7udjul said:
No one is saying dairy cattle make the best feedlot cattle.
It is a FACT that they MARBLE better than beef cattle. Jersey being number one.
This does not mean everyone should be breeding to them. Let's get real.
MEAT and conversion of feed to muscle plays a big role in what does well on the feedlot.
Heavy milking is highly correlated to marbling. that is why Simmental is a high marbling breed.
I am just saying I have kill a BUNCH of cattle I did not see it. Prime is the goal sounds as if you all at least should be running a Jersey bull. Heavy milking you don't get much better milking than some of your Brahman cows and if a feeder has enough Brahman in it to have much of a hump they wont grade either. There again that's just what I saw from the bad second tier plant I worked at. Maybe them good dairy cattle cost so much to feed that our plant could not afford them ?? If it takes longer to feed them that could be a problem also, I have seen beef that marbled good but the Inspector would not grade them ''prime'' said they were to old. He could tell that by sticking his knife in certain back bone down from the tail bone. somehow I don't remember the details that's been several years ago. There is more than marbling to get a prime out side fat covers also plays a part.
All joking aside if what you all are saying is true wonder how a Jersey X Char. cross would be, might be worth looking in to ???

Jersey crossed with Angus properly fed can grade prime over 80% of the time. There's a guy in Virginia that does this, he's the largest exporter of US beef to Canada. He says it's all in the feed, but you can't reach those numbers without the Jersey in the mix.

True Grit Farms":q7yb92rf said:
Jersey crossed with Angus properly fed can grade prime over 80% of the time. There's a guy in Virginia that does this, he's the largest exporter of US beef to Canada. He says it's all in the feed, but you can't reach those numbers without the Jersey in the mix.
I just said Char. cause that's what we had been talking about but any good beef type cattle would probably work. I know back in the day Grandpa used to do a lot of trading on milk cows to be used as family milk cows. It was a good deal people would milk the cow and breed her to a beef type bull, most of the time a Hereford or Angus, and raise it for a beef. I don't know how well they graded but it made a family happy, milk and beef. I miss them days sometimes fresh milk and look out the window and see a farmed raised beef hanging from a tree chilling. :D :D

jedstivers":2h170cd9 said:
I didn't read all three pages so this might be a repeat.
Unless you want them to rope don't do it. Junk is junk is junk.
The really nice "yard ornament" long horns usually don't go through the barn or cheap.
I've been setting at three sales a week buying calves and I'm astounded at the amount of sorry, no good genetic trash coming through. It's tough getting good calves.
I set and think these people could grow a good calf for just a little more. As it is they are taking a lot less for what the send to town.

I wish I had known this when I started. We started with LH b/c it was cheap and they're pretty. I slaughtered two at close to 24 months that had hanging weights of 288 and 328. I slaughtered a third at 32 months that had a hanging weight of 579. Last week I slaughtered a half angus x LH that weighed in at 570 hanging at 16 months. There's a reason they're so cheap....

Bestoutwest":i12ubnjc said:
jedstivers":i12ubnjc said:
I didn't read all three pages so this might be a repeat.
Unless you want them to rope don't do it. Junk is junk is junk.
The really nice "yard ornament" long horns usually don't go through the barn or cheap.
I've been setting at three sales a week buying calves and I'm astounded at the amount of sorry, no good genetic trash coming through. It's tough getting good calves.
I set and think these people could grow a good calf for just a little more. As it is they are taking a lot less for what the send to town.

I wish I had known this when I started. We started with LH b/c it was cheap and they're pretty. I slaughtered two at close to 24 months that had hanging weights of 288 and 328. I slaughtered a third at 32 months that had a hanging weight of 579. Last week I slaughtered a half angus x LH that weighed in at 570 hanging at 16 months. There's a reason they're so cheap....
Well you did have poor quality longhorns. They're not best example of good quality longhorns. A member on here, named Ryan has really nice stock of beef type Longhorns and I've seen few nice beef longhorns that raises big calves.

Ryan posted want a LH is supposed to be for sure. Not the genetic trash some have turned them to.
His with a char bull would have made some nice calves.
Alas though, he's another good member no longer posting here.

Newcutter":1phd5bwb said:
If bought cheap enough would buy a set of corriente or longhorn be worth buying? if so what would you breed to them.

This guy crossed a Charolais bull and Texas Longhorn cows and got some good looking calves.

viewtopic.php?t=49051

Most of the cost of raising cattle is in feed costs, and I know Texas Longhorns can maintain better than almost any other breeds on pretty rough forage.

Farm Fence Solutions":qfsu45ii said:
I prefer cows that are the most profitable. Right now, our most profitable cows are LH X Angus bred back to an Angus bull. They will wean calves just as big as our Angus cows bred to the same bull. They are all on the same diet, and the Angus cows look like ragged azz while the LH and LH X cows are fat and slick. It works for us, and our buyer prefers our cross calves over the handful of purebreds we still raise.

Thank you. This is what I asked about in another thread on this board. I had a feeling that all-black Texas Longhorn x Angus mommas that were then bred to Angus or Brangus bulls would work.

Bullitt":1frro7sj said:
Farm Fence Solutions":1frro7sj said:
I prefer cows that are the most profitable. Right now, our most profitable cows are LH X Angus bred back to an Angus bull. They will wean calves just as big as our Angus cows bred to the same bull. They are all on the same diet, and the Angus cows look like ragged azz while the LH and LH X cows are fat and slick. It works for us, and our buyer prefers our cross calves over the handful of purebreds we still raise.

Thank you. This is what I asked about in another thread on this board. I had a feeling that all-black Texas Longhorn x Angus mommas that were then bred to Angus or Brangus bulls would work.

One of the important ingredients to this program, is a buyer. Sold black crosses are not the norm, nor are they always worth keeping. Our best cross cows are the skunk stripes, and a fair number of their 3/4 angus calves are striped, as well. That doesn't mean that yours will be, but that's how they land around here. :tiphat:

I am not opposed to the LH cows. But I am wondering what this ground to tough for Angus cows looks like? Here there is lots of ground that is as steep as you can stack dirt with lots of rock and cliffs tossed in. It is a low rainfall area so it takes 20-40 acres per cow. Lots of fat black cows. The few corriente cows are raised by people wanting to raise their own roping steers. Last week I went to Northern Nevada for Thanksgiving. This time of year the cows have been coming down out of the hills. The vast majority are Angus cows. You would be hard pressed to find more rugged country to run cows on.

That said, high quality beef longhorns are not cheap and they're not easy to find. Few good example of beef longhorns.

Muddy":245aya8a said:
That said, high quality beef longhorns are not cheap and they're not easy to find. Few good example of beef longhorns.

their not cheap buying them in their circles,,,but step outside of it,,and your right back...those are nice though

ALACOWMAN":3hn09x90 said:
Muddy":3hn09x90 said:

their not cheap buying them in their circles,,,but step outside of it,,and your right back...those are nice though
Only junk longhorns are cheap.

True story-------I slipped down to the Cullman Al. sale, lost April and bought a few tie down calves. One calf was a little LH heifer that was almost too big to tie down.. Gave 1.27 for her, she was as nice as any beef calf that came through the sale. Actually had the second highest ADG of any calf we roped all summer. Sold her in July for .52. I knew she wasn't going to top the sale, but I was surprised she only brought that. The barn owners son was minding the sale that day. He went on for a little while, warning everybody there make sure you know what your getting here. I believe even if he'd kept his mouth shut, she would have brought the same thing. That's just the way of it here.

Latest posts