buying a set of corriente or longhorn cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

same cow and same bull raise an all black calf this year and one with chrome next year the same buyers will dock you cause they can. Its a racket they have between their selves.
It's order buying. If there are five order buyers in the same sale and three only have orders for black calves and two have orders for reds or white face and only one has an order for chrome/off colors then anything not black has less bidders and the one with an order for chrome is only bidding against the locals. That's why you see so many black dinks sell for more than what quality calves of others sell for... Their order is to buy black calves and there are usually a few people bidding.

Any order buyer that's fooled by them... Needs to find a new career..if they ain't already...maybe something where they use their hands,not so much their eyes..

cow pollinater":18xh6b02 said:
same cow and same bull raise an all black calf this year and one with chrome next year the same buyers will dock you cause they can. Its a racket they have between their selves.
It's order buying. If there are five order buyers in the same sale and three only have orders for black calves and two have orders for reds or white face and only one has an order for chrome/off colors then anything not black has less bidders and the one with an order for chrome is only bidding against the locals. That's why you see so many black dinks sell for more than what quality calves of others sell for... Their order is to buy black calves and there are usually a few people bidding.
that is why you need to know the sale before you take them kind of cattle to it
KB

BRYANT":2lhln0w0 said:
cow pollinater":2lhln0w0 said:
KB
like to see you try and predict that scenario....

ALACOWMAN":ia6gcmas said:
BRYANT":ia6gcmas said:
cow pollinater":ia6gcmas said:
KB
like to see you try and predict that scenario....
I can do it. stay away from them little hole in the wall sales with just a few buyers, like I say there is sales I would not take a Brahman cross to and there is sales I would not take longhorn crosses to.

jedstivers":39notwwa said:
I didn't read all three pages so this might be a repeat.
Unless you want them to rope don't do it. Junk is junk is junk.
The really nice "yard ornament" long horns usually don't go through the barn or cheap.
I've been setting at three sales a week buying calves and I'm astounded at the amount of sorry, no good genetic trash coming through. It's tough getting good calves.
I set and think these people could grow a good calf for just a little more. As it is they are taking a lot less for what the send to town.
Good reply, Jed.
Bryant, why raise cattle that you have to research the sale beforehand to know if they will want them? Why not raise calves that will sell anywhere? gs

jedstivers":2urrfuf0 said:
I didn't read all three pages so this might be a repeat.
Unless you want them to rope don't do it. Junk is junk is junk.
The really nice "yard ornament" long horns usually don't go through the barn or cheap.
I've been setting at three sales a week buying calves and I'm astounded at the amount of sorry, no good genetic trash coming through. It's tough getting good calves.
I set and think these people could grow a good calf for just a little more. As it is they are taking a lot less for what the send to town.
Jed I don't sell the numbers that some of y'all sell. But they are my cattle and believe it or not every calf you sell has your name on it. In the spring I sold some bull calves and somehow the owner of the stockyard saw my sales ticket and called and asked me if I sold some bull calves. They only sold 1428 head through the ring that day and somehow he knew that all my calves are usually steers and wanted to know if everything was right.
I was embarrassed to say the least and will never sell another bull calf at the stockyard. That was a dumb rookie mistake that probably cost me some money down the line on my calves.

plumber_greg":3l2nfrpq said:
Good reply, Jed.
Bryant, why raise cattle that you have to research the sale beforehand to know if they will want them? Why not raise calves that will sell anywhere? gs
This debate started 4 pages back but as I remember the first part of it was he was looking for cheap cattle that could survive on pastures that were not the best and conditions not the best. If that is what he needs to fit his situation then he would be stupid not to shop around and know what sale to take them to. EVERYONE on here shops around to get the best price for their stock when selling and also when buying to get the best deal. Listen folks I don't care what kind of cow you raise or even if your on the ''black cow train'' but people do and can make money on other breeds other than Angus. I have said a lot of mine are ''sale barn culls'' and with the right bull and sold at the right place they do fine. Mater of fact better than a lot I see sale.
But who knows maybe all he order buyers in Okla. are just dumb Okie hicks.

Don't know how it works there,, but if you don't want to travel across the country to find a market for your cattle...the same buyers work the """"closer to home""stockyards.....

I think what people fail to consider is there is different cattle popularity in different parts of the country. A order buyer would not have and order for ''eared feeder'' in the northern part of the US. so a Brahman cross would be of very low value in that part of the country. I don't know how it is where all of you are from but here in Okla. I drive 45 miles to my farm and pass 8 arenas and team roping is one of their main events. so that makes for a lot of Longhorn type cattle. You see a lot of people breeding them X roping heifers to beef type bulls , a lot to Char., so maybe our Okla. order buyers have a market for them that other order buyers would not. I do know as many as you see people are not loosing money or they would stop doing it.

What many people are failing to realize
Is the ops situation. Sorry cattle on sorry country. The real bottom line is more complicated than the sale barn check.
Are you spending a dollar to get 1.50
Or .30 to get .90
Everyone has a different situation. Those who realize that they need to play the route that best utilizes what they have will do as good as they are capable of doing.

callmefence":29du8fkh said:
Is the ops situation. Sorry cattle on sorry country. The real bottom line is more complicated than the sale barn check.
Or .30 to get .90
Everyone has a different situation. Those who realize that they need to play the route that best utilizes what they have will do as good as they are capable of doing.

I hope you're right. Jed has me scared to death that I'll have to give back all the profit I've made off my sorry cows the last 20 years. :cowboy:

Farm Fence Solutions":3imea7oh said:
callmefence":3imea7oh said:
Or .30 to get .90

I hope you're right. Jed has me scared to death that I'll have to give back all the profit I've made off my sorry cows the last 20 years. :cowboy:
I don't care what cattle you run.
I'm just giving prespective from the buying seat.

I think most folks miss the fact that, most of the order buyers are basically buying for the feedlots? There's very few feedlots in the US of A, and that's the main reason that sorry cattle don't sell for as much as good cattle. There's a few out there like Jed, that buy stockers for themselves but not many. And the one's that are buying for themselves don't want the trash, and the one's that are willing to buy the trash buy it cheap. There's money to be made buying trash, it's just a different market and has fewer buyers.

jedstivers":2lb0gi8m said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2lb0gi8m said:
callmefence":2lb0gi8m said:
Or .30 to get .90

And I don't care what you buy from that seat. The only buyers I'm out to impress, are the ones that come to my yard with a checkbook, and it seems that they would prefer my cross calves and keeper heifers over purebreds. All (fill in the blank high dollar beef breed) cows are not profitable. All LH or Mexican cows are not inferior money losers. Painting with a brush that broad and generic can make for a less than accurate picture.

True Grit Farms":nsw28f25 said:
I think most folks miss the fact that, most of the order buyers are basically buying for the feedlots? There's very few feedlots in the US of A, and that's the main reason that sorry cattle don't sell for as much as good cattle. There's a few out there like Jed, that buy stockers for themselves but not many. And the one's that are buying for themselves don't want the trash, and the one's that are willing to buy the trash buy it cheap. There's money to be made buying trash, it's just a different market and has fewer buyers.

I agree. Except here we do have a very good fall stocker market. And when Jed talks calves I listen.

Value to the lh/corriente beyond what the order buyer will pay. I'm at a ropin today. 200 teams going in to round 1. Be several buy backs after the first. $60 a man, and 35 steers here. Everybody here'd like to leave with a fat wallet. Only one that knows he's leaving with something is the man that brought the cattle.

This still boils down to the "small cow" vs the "big cow". No matter what size the cow is, she must fit your environment. And, you have to remember that a cow - any cow - needs the same "management" - no matter what the size. If one is sick, she must be treated. If one has a difficult calving, she must be helped. When you vaccinate, each cow must be run thru the chute & given same vaccines (big or small) - unless of course, you have no management for health.
Bottom line, each and every cow requires your stewardship. Small or big takes just as much of YOUR time.
I am fortunate to have superb grazing. I am also fortunate to have a nice paycheck in the fall on my steers. But, I also do not play Russian roulette. I found a feedlot buyer that buys my steers sight unseen each year and pays the highest price gotten at the top "steer market" sale barn. And NY does NOT have an abundance of feedlots.

Farm Fence Solutions":2ht2ahfv said:
jedstivers":2ht2ahfv said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2ht2ahfv said:

And I don't care what you buy from that seat. The only buyers I'm out to impress, are the ones that come to my yard with a checkbook, and it seems that they would prefer my cross calves and keeper heifers over purebreds. All (fill in the blank high dollar beef breed) cows are not profitable. All LH or Mexican cows are not inferior money losers. Painting with a brush that broad and generic can make for a less than accurate picture.
No where did I run you cows down, I don't even know what kind you have. I even bet your calves are better than the trash I'm talking about cause these are some really shi++y calves.
I also didn't say anything about purebreds, I don't even like buying them. I want crossbred calves out of good cattle. I buy what turns feed to beef, there's no need in me feeding a calf that doesn't convert well.
Now on the flip side of that I have ran lots of the sorry calves. I know what they don't do.
At one time I was running 500 head of fine bone Alabama calves a year. You want to talk junk they are junk.
I made the statement I made as a buyer so the people on here as a seller might get a little insite as to what we like.
Sure all the junk calves sell and they sell with a built in discount for all the problems.
And someday when I have more time I'll be buying those again because the best money made in this business is correcting someone else's mistakes.
Now let's go to my side as a seller.
When my calves roll up in Oklohoma City I want nice uniform calves that make large lots into the ring at once. Even though the number I send isn't a pimple on a gants azz I still want my calves remembered as good preforming calves.
See I set in both seats at the auction.
Now as to the op I still say the same. Don't buy them unless they are for roping.
He ask, i answered with what I think. You answer him with what you think. Or not, doesn't matter to me.

Does anyone know anyone that has sent Corriente or Longhorn cattle to the feedlots on a retained ownership program? We have a program through UGA that we can retain ownership of our cattle all the way through the process, from feeding to slaughter. There's really very little extra money in it to the producer but everything is documented, from the weight per day gain to the grade of the carcass at slaughter.

Latest posts