buying a set of corriente or longhorn cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Newcutter

Reaction score
If bought cheap enough would buy a set of corriente or longhorn be worth buying? if so what would you breed to them.

Good bred cows are cheaper now....that said I don't see anything wrong with buying longhorns and Corrientes. Breed them to Charolais, Limousin, Beefmaster or Belgian Blue bull and you'll have nice set of calves.

I've been messing with longhorns for a few years now just because I like them and they are the lowest maintenance cows there are in my opinion. As far as beefiness the best calves I've had were from a charolais bull. As far as heifers to keep for brood cows I have had some really nice ones out of a Herford bull.

So you are saying if you had some rough country that was in unsuitable to run regular beef cattle on, and had the opportunity to buy some cheap longhorn or corriente you wouldn't buy some and run them on it.

id buy some if i could find them, low maintenance = low imputs. plus you can run alot more corrientes on the same pasture than regular beef cows. i bet a guy could make more money with corrientes running more head breeding them to a char bull feeding them cheap hay all winter! and forget how to get to the feed store cause those cows dont need welfare bags. o yea and you can expect them to stay in the herd longer

Newcutter":10xvy8yr said:
So you are saying if you had some rough country that was in unsuitable to run regular beef cattle on, and had the opportunity to buy some cheap longhorn or corriente you wouldn't buy some and run them on it.

No, the margins are thin enough on good cattle much less junk. You may feed less but you still have the same equipment, same fences, etc to raise longhorns as a higher grossing breed.

I've seen really nice cattle raised in some really tough areas. I don't buy that some thing is only longhorns country.

Newcutter":32xmria4 said:
In that case I'd run goats...be better turnover, and good demand for em...

Brute 23":2ok98kgt said:
Newcutter":2ok98kgt said:

No, the margins are thin enough on good cattle much less junk. You may feed less but you still have the same equipment, same fences, etc to raise longhorns as a higher grossing breed.

I've seen really nice cattle raised in some really tough areas. I don't buy that some thing is only longhorns country.

I never worried much about the gross. The net is what concerns me. My horn cows net more than my Angus cows, and they're no slouches. I agree with your last statement.....I've seen some really nice cows in places where it didn't look like there was anything to eat.

The longhorn/corriente type cattle "in my opinion"are low maintenance. They are cheap, live forever, and will utilize those places that most cattle will find difficult to hold upon with out some help ( tubs, hay, cubes etc...). I have notice around here a few ranchers are closet longhorn and corriente owners. They don't want there friends to know that have them so they keep them in the backwoods hidden. I ask one guy why he did this and his answer to me was that. They were all profit. He has very little in them and when the bank comes calling for there money on his brangus or Bradford cattle and it's a down year. He is ok because of his security blanket in the "back forty ", picks up there slack. He told me he bought 6 corriente cows to 1 brangus cow, yes she raised a 700 lb calve that bought $1.35., his little corriente cows had 425 .lb calve bought .95 lb. but he had 6 to sell compared to the 1, and had less in the 6 calves then what he had in 1 brangus bred calf.

This is a subject that has been beat to death on this site for the last few years. Longhorns, Corriente and Brahman are all breeds that some people like and some people hate. You can show how these breeds can make money, you can show the good points, and some on here will hate them so Newcutter if it is something you like raise them. You will find a lot on here that think if it ain't black then it can't make money, to which I disagree.

Newcutter I will be in the SE part of Okla. in the next few days and if I think about it and have time I will go by a place that has probably over a 100 head of Longhorn/Corriente with Char. bulls on them. I will try to take a picture and post it of them and their calves, last time I saw them they were some nice yellow calves that would bring a very good price with very little horn.

No, I don't have it all figured out. Still gathering information on the subject. Some responses seem to not have much info, to why they don't like them other than they just don't like them. I know black is better, "BUT GREEN IS KING". I am using a lot of different factors to decide what to do time, money, equipment, pasture etc....