buying a set of corriente or longhorn cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Use to buy calves at Cullman to...we had a club..each one had 2 calves a piece...fastest calves I ever ran were longhorn. They fired out of the chute like rockets.....but I really liked to buy angus heifers..they were tough, and kept running......

Muddy":2zsfgnv7 said:
Bestoutwest":2zsfgnv7 said:
I wish I had known this when I started. We started with LH b/c it was cheap and they're pretty. I slaughtered two at close to 24 months that had hanging weights of 288 and 328. I slaughtered a third at 32 months that had a hanging weight of 579. Last week I slaughtered a half angus x LH that weighed in at 570 hanging at 16 months. There's a reason they're so cheap....
Well you did have poor quality longhorns. They're not best example of good quality longhorns. A member on here, named Ryan has really nice stock of beef type Longhorns and I've seen few nice beef longhorns that raises big calves.

We didn't know much better getting started, and honestly I haven't seen any beefy type LH out here. I've even gone to a show, and wasn't impressed so I'm moving on to a different breed. The only thing to do after making a mistake is to learn from it.

Bestoutwest":306fqury said:
Muddy":306fqury said:
Bestoutwest":306fqury said:
I wish I had known this when I started. We started with LH b/c it was cheap and they're pretty. I slaughtered two at close to 24 months that had hanging weights of 288 and 328. I slaughtered a third at 32 months that had a hanging weight of 579. Last week I slaughtered a half angus x LH that weighed in at 570 hanging at 16 months. There's a reason they're so cheap....
Well you did have poor quality longhorns. They're not best example of good quality longhorns. A member on here, named Ryan has really nice stock of beef type Longhorns and I've seen few nice beef longhorns that raises big calves.

We didn't know much better getting started, and honestly I haven't seen any beefy type LH out here. I've even gone to a show, and wasn't impressed so I'm moving on to a different breed. The only thing to do after making a mistake is to learn from it.

For wild cattle there great.
Beef taste wonderful you will just starve to death waiting on them to grow. Just a little over a hundred years ago they were wild cattle natural selection went in the opposite direction of today's beef industry.
The order buyers know they will have to spend more time on feed to slaughter, that is why they are so heavily docked.

Caustic Burno":sn5ykf5p said:
Bestoutwest":sn5ykf5p said:
Muddy":sn5ykf5p said:

For wild cattle there great.
Beef taste wonderful you will just starve to death waiting on them to grow. Just a little over a hundred years ago they were wild cattle natural selection went in the opposite direction of today's beef industry.
The order buyers know they will have to spend more time on feed to slaughter, that is why they are so heavily docked.
Exactly the same reason I buy what I buy and why I posted what I did in my first post on this thread.
I want what will turn my feed to beef and the ones that buy my cattle want the same thing.
Hence the dock on the cattle that don't.
This whole cattle thing is really really simple. It's all the people that want to force a square peg in a round hole that complicate it.

Just noticed that a poster put up a response stated I hadn't put up a post since page 2. No need to keep posting you, guys told me, in so many words the plan wouldn't work so why keep posting. If you notice I told everyone thanks for the resplies. So Alacowman this is the reason for no response from me!

Excuse me I meant Jeanne-Simme Valley, not Alacoman, this is the reason for no replies since page 2....

Latest posts