buying a set of corriente or longhorn cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Probably be good beef for heart patients,,even bred to a continental like Charolais.....Lean beef.. under that hide is what the buyers are looking at,it just comes in a leather package...

True Grit Farms":2qy37bp4 said:
Does anyone know anyone that has sent Corriente or Longhorn cattle to the feedlots on a retained ownership program? We have a program through UGA that we can retain ownership of our cattle all the way through the process, from feeding to slaughter. There's really very little extra money in it to the producer but everything is documented, from the weight per day gain to the grade of the carcass at slaughter.

I know one gentleman. He even has a YouTube video on the subject. When time allows, (if I don't forget) I will look for it.

Bigfoot":v7s3udx4 said:
True Grit Farms":v7s3udx4 said:
Does anyone know anyone that has sent Corriente or Longhorn cattle to the feedlots on a retained ownership program? We have a program through UGA that we can retain ownership of our cattle all the way through the process, from feeding to slaughter. There's really very little extra money in it to the producer but everything is documented, from the weight per day gain to the grade of the carcass at slaughter.

I know one gentleman. He even has a YouTube video on the subject. When time allows, (if I don't forget) I will look for it.
Do you know if any ever grade prime? I'm wondering if it's possible for a Corriente to grade prime? I would think it's possible for a Longhorn to grade prime but I don't have any idea really.

True Grit Farms":3m2x1s8i said:
Bigfoot":3m2x1s8i said:
True Grit Farms":3m2x1s8i said:

Do you know if any ever grade prime? I'm wondering if it's possible for a Corriente to grade prime? I would think it's possible for a Longhorn to grade prime but I don't have any idea really.

I don't know for sure. I'd say it'd be a long shot that one would grade prime. I have only finished 2 calves in my life, that graded prime.

Bigfoot":vi7j5jka said:
True Grit Farms":vi7j5jka said:
Bigfoot":vi7j5jka said:

I don't know for sure. I'd say it'd be a long shot that one would grade prime. I have only finished 2 calves in my life, that graded prime.
That's two more than me.

True Grit Farms":1j80azla said:
Bigfoot":1j80azla said:
True Grit Farms":1j80azla said:

I have worked on a kill floor and also on the boning line I never saw one grade prime never even saw a full Brahman or any of the dairy steers that was fed out grade prime. that's why you cross them. The best cattle I saw for grading were what looked like 1/2 angus and 1/2 Char. or 1/2 Hereford and 1/2 Char. that's were most of our prime came from.

BRYANT":wcx50sjw said:
True Grit Farms":wcx50sjw said:
Bigfoot":wcx50sjw said:
I have worked on a kill floor and also on the boning line I never saw one grade prime never even saw a full Brahman or any of the dairy steers that was fed out grade prime. that's why you cross them. The best cattle I saw for grading were what looked like 1/2 angus and 1/2 Char. or 1/2 Hereford and 1/2 Char. that's were most of our prime came from.
You didn't work at a very good plant or maybe a second tier plant. A Dairy steer will grade prime a higher percentage of the time than a beef steer. They just take more feed to get them there.
I was under the impression that Hereford and Charolais were just ahead of Braman when it came to marbling?

True Grit Farms":34xy0m7l said:
You didn't work at a very good plant or maybe a second tier plant. A Dairy steer will grade prime a higher percentage of the time than a beef steer. They just take more feed to get them there.
I was under the impression that Hereford and Charolais were just ahead of Braman when it came to marbling?
What ever, sounds like you just wanting to debate, I am just saying what I saw in the thousands of head I killed.
Don't know where the plant I worked at fell on the tier you are referring to or how good it was, nor do I care. it was not IBP Packers for sure we were a lot smaller than that. If it cost more to feed them than maybe that was the reason we didn't kill a lot of them, but the ones WE killed didn't do well.
The plant I worked at also bought everything we killed from a feed lot, they did not raise it, so if a beef grades or not has nothing to do with it being good or second tier. We did kill cattle that would grade they were just not the breeds I said.

BRYANT":9jpy90mx said:
True Grit Farms":9jpy90mx said:
What ever, sounds like you just wanting to debate, I am just saying what I saw in the thousands of head I killed.
Don't know where the plant I worked at fell on the tier you are referring to or how good it was, nor do I care. it was not IBP Packers for sure we were a lot smaller than that. If it cost more to feed them than maybe that was the reason we didn't kill a lot of them, but the ones WE killed didn't do well.
The plant I worked at also bought everything we killed from a feed lot, they did not raise it, so if a beef grades or not has nothing to do with it being good or second tier. We did kill cattle that would grade they were just not the breeds I said.
There's no debate about it dairy cows grade and taste better than beef cows on a percentage basis.

jedstivers":2bemshyv said:
I didn't read all three pages so this might be a repeat.
Unless you want them to rope don't do it. Junk is junk is junk.
The really nice "yard ornament" long horns usually don't go through the barn or cheap.
I've been setting at three sales a week buying calves and I'm astounded at the amount of sorry, no good genetic trash coming through. It's tough getting good calves.
I set and think these people could grow a good calf for just a little more. As it is they are taking a lot less for what the send to town.

I guess this is where I got the impression that a set of corriente or longhorn cattle would be considered junk, in your opinion. My point is, there is money to be made with horn cows, and in the right situation, they will stuff more $ in the envelope from the sale barn for you than most "good" cows. My point of view is not anecdotal. I have Angus cows, LH cows(some with a little corriente influence), and LH X Angus cows.
We have the horn cows because we used to raise our own ropers. When cattle prices went nuts, I put an angus bull on the horn cows to see what we'd get. My buyer beat me up a little that first year, but has paid a premium ever since. We sell several fat calves for freezer beef, so I saved a few that first year. They out performed the "beef" calves, and their size was more popular(finished 250 or so lighter with a higher yield), as well. My buyers have quite a few cows, and usually have somewhere north of 1,000 head on feed, so I feel like they have a good bead on what they are doing. They bought every LH cross cow and bred heifer I'd sell them last spring, and there must be a reason.
I'm not discounting your knowledge or experience as a buyer/cattleman, but you can't expect to walk through the doors on page 3, admit that you didn't read the thread, call LH/corriente cows junk, and walk back out without some resistance.

ALACOWMAN":23igcooo said:
Any order buyer that's fooled by them... Needs to find a new career..if they ain't already...maybe something where they use their hands,not so much their eyes..
Then we will lost 99% of buyers and we will be out of business.

I just don't understand why some of you guys have problems with selling longhorns and Corrientes as feeders? I thought Char x Corriente or Char x Longhorn cross is a good cross, no? Plumber_greg was bytching about Belgian Blue X longhorn, I thought it was a very good cross and putting more beef on the longhorn calves than most Angus bulls. Surely the crossbreds won't qualify for Certified Angus Beef program, but then again a full black longhornX or a F1 brangus might qualify for it. Many buyers who brought the calves, they don't ask the sellers what kind of the momma cows the calves are out of. I seen more mixed herds than all black herds in many areas.

True Grit Farms":lmftffx6 said:
There's no debate about it dairy cows grade and taste better than beef cows on a percentage basis.

I did not know this. Thank you. I learned something.

Muddy":2ju3nuyc said:
ALACOWMAN":2ju3nuyc said:
Any order buyer that's fooled by them... Needs to find a new career..if they ain't already...maybe something where they use their hands,not so much their eyes..
so your saying that 99 percent of order buyers,, don't know what breeds are in The animal their looking at ?? Atleast most of the breeds that are in the makeup...

ALACOWMAN":1rycgbxz said:
Muddy":1rycgbxz said:
ALACOWMAN":1rycgbxz said:
so your saying that 99 percent of order buyers,, don't know what breeds are in The animal their looking at ?? Atleast most of the breeds that are in the makeup...
Yes, the buyers didn't know what they are buying. They just guessed what breeds the calves are and just assumed that they are "Angus" cross.

Farm Fence Solutions":23ghjg8w said:
jedstivers":23ghjg8w said:
I didn't read all three pages so this might be a repeat.
Unless you want them to rope don't do it. Junk is junk is junk.
The really nice "yard ornament" long horns usually don't go through the barn or cheap.
I've been setting at three sales a week buying calves and I'm astounded at the amount of sorry, no good genetic trash coming through. It's tough getting good calves.
I set and think these people could grow a good calf for just a little more. As it is they are taking a lot less for what the send to town.

I guess this is where I got the impression that a set of corriente or longhorn cattle would be considered junk, in your opinion. My point is, there is money to be made with horn cows, and in the right situation, they will stuff more $ in the envelope from the sale barn for you than most "good" cows. My point of view is not anecdotal. I have Angus cows, LH cows(some with a little corriente influence), and LH X Angus cows.
We have the horn cows because we used to raise our own ropers. When cattle prices went nuts, I put an angus bull on the horn cows to see what we'd get. My buyer beat me up a little that first year, but has paid a premium ever since. We sell several fat calves for freezer beef, so I saved a few that first year. They out performed the "beef" calves, and their size was more popular(finished 250 or so lighter with a higher yield), as well. My buyers have quite a few cows, and usually have somewhere north of 1,000 head on feed, so I feel like they have a good bead on what they are doing. They bought every LH cross cow and bred heifer I'd sell them last spring, and there must be a reason.
I'm not discounting your knowledge or experience as a buyer/cattleman, but you can't expect to walk through the doors on page 3, admit that you didn't read the thread, call LH/corriente cows junk, and walk back out without some resistance.
I can come in at page 3 and tell what I see.
Every single one that has come through is junk. I'm sure some like you are growing some good ones. However they aren't coming through the barns here in AR.
I was also talking about all the breeds of junk I see come through. It's unreal the amount of sorry cattle that are produced when for just a little more good cattle can be produced.
And for what it's worth I have in the past thought about buyin LH cows and putting char bulls on them.
However I wasn't under the impression they would make great calves.
But I have since decided instead of putting LH cattle on scrub it would be more profitable to put good cattle there and supplement with a little feed.
I still like raising calves better anyway and don't want any cows.

I still like raising calves better anyway and don't want any cows.
I don't know anyone around here (myself included) that hasn't thought along those same lines at least once in the last 10 years.

Latest posts