buying a set of corriente or longhorn cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Newcutter":1wwkvxww said:
The longhorn/corriente type cattle "in my opinion"are low maintenance. They are cheap, live forever, and will utilize those places that most cattle will find difficult to hold upon with out some help ( tubs, hay, cubes etc...). I have notice around here a few ranchers are closet longhorn and corriente owners. They don't want there friends to know that have them so they keep them in the backwoods hidden. I ask one guy why he did this and his answer to me was that. They were all profit. He has very little in them and when the bank comes calling for there money on his brangus or Bradford cattle and it's a down year. He is ok because of his security blanket in the "back forty ", picks up there slack. He told me he bought 6 corriente cows to 1 brangus cow, yes she raised a 700 lb calve that bought $1.35., his little corriente cows had 425 .lb calve bought .95 lb. but he had 6 to sell compared to the 1, and had less in the 6 calves then what he had in 1 brangus bred calf.
You're not going to run 6 corriente for one beef cow. Maybe 1.5 cor per beef cow. I doubt they'll wean calves at 400#; prob more like 3-350#. If the buyers suspect that they are corriente (and they will eventually) you'll be lucky to get .70/lb.
If you want to get corriente go for it, but take off the rose tinted glasses.

I've had several over the years, and have a few now. You've got some misconceptions. First 1200 pounds of momma cow is going to eat X amount of roughage. Doesn't matter if that's one beef cow, or two corriente. Some charlois cross calves, do pass for beef calves. They won't be super performers, with exceptional weaning weights.

Yes, your LH/corriente cow will cost less on the front end. She will also produce less for her entire career, and bring less when she pounded out at retirement.

I speak from experience when I make this statement------If somebody walked up and said, "I'm feeling generous, I'll give you one nice beef cow, or two average LH cows." I'd take the beef cow.

I prefer cows that are the most profitable. Right now, our most profitable cows are LH X Angus bred back to an Angus bull. They will wean calves just as big as our Angus cows bred to the same bull. They are all on the same diet, and the Angus cows look like ragged azz while the LH and LH X cows are fat and slick. It works for us, and our buyer prefers our cross calves over the handful of purebreds we still raise.

Proof again that it's hard to beat a crossbred cow in a commercial operation. One main thing to remember is a longhorn and corriente is not the same animal.

Newcutter":13hain4x said:
So you are saying if you had some rough country that was in unsuitable to run regular beef cattle on, and had the opportunity to buy some cheap longhorn or corriente you wouldn't buy some and run them on it.

yes and I'd put a char or angus bulls with them. sell the calves early.

one other think people may not realize is that longhorn/corriente cows have very little calving problems no matter how big a bull you put on them, thats why putting 1 ton charolais bulls on corriente cows that weigh less that 1/3 of the bulls weight will make money. very good weaning weight ratios

Bigfoot":2fttkufh said:
I've had several over the years, and have a few now. You've got some misconceptions. First 1200 pounds of momma cow is going to eat X amount of roughage. Doesn't matter if that's one beef cow, or two corriente. Some charlois cross calves, do pass for beef calves. They won't be super performers, with exceptional weaning weights.

Yes, your LH/corriente cow will cost less on the front end. She will also produce less for her entire career, and bring less when she pounded out at retirement.

I speak from experience when I make this statement------If somebody walked up and said, "I'm feeling generous, I'll give you one nice beef cow, or two average LH cows." I'd take the beef cow.
This is what I am trying to figure out. Bigfoot, believe me when I say I am not calling you out.
Is it the intention of many calf/cow men to fool the buyers, that you depend on to buy your calves, into thinking that you have cattle that they would want to pay for to feed?
Do they do this knowing that they are trying to hide something they know the buyer would not want?
Maybe it's different in different parts of the country, upper and central Midwest, we want the feedlots to know exactly what they are buying. gs

plumber_greg":2wblzbxs said:
Bigfoot":2wblzbxs said:

This is what I am trying to figure out. Bigfoot, believe me when I say I am not calling you out.
Is it the intention of many calf/cow men to fool the buyers, that you depend on to buy your calves, into thinking that you have cattle that they would want to pay for to feed?
Do they do this knowing that they are trying to hide something they know the buyer would not want?
Maybe it's different in different parts of the country, upper and central Midwest, we want the feedlots to know exactly what they are buying. gs
So which breed do you think we should use to selling the feeders to the feedlots?

plumber_greg":2vaie393 said:
Bigfoot":2vaie393 said:

That is my thing with this Char X Longhorn deal. I think eventually the buyers will catch on.

plumber_greg":2igfucke said:
Bigfoot":2igfucke said:

I totally get what your saying. No, I don't think a knowledge order buyer can be deceived. If the calf does deceive them, then it's probably going to be alright anyway----if that even made sense.

Lots of money to be made on corrientes.... Just not at the sale barn. Number 1 ropers are bringing more than a good 600# steer around here. Roping cattle are in high demand in the right areas.

What is there to catch on ???????????? your taking a cow that not real fleshy, Longhorn, breeding her to a bull that is real fleshy, Char. or what ever you choose, and making calves that will go to a feed lot and feed out good. I don't know about Corrientes most of them that I see is little pot licker cows but there Is some big Longhorn cows that will raise a big nice calf breed to the right bull. What are you hiding SPOTS and why do they dock you for them ? because they can and they will on other breeds as well and it all because they can, cause you don't eat the hide. Will a Simm. with white bring as much as one that's not, most places it will not, same cow and same bull raise an all black calf this year and one with chrome next year the same buyers will dock you cause they can. Its a racket they have between their selves. Same with eared cattle 1/4 eared steers will do great in a feed lot these sales that dock you its a racket and I wont sell there cause there is sales that eared cattle will do fine in.
I was at a sale a couple years back when they brought about 50 longhorn pairs in, Char. calves, unloaded the pairs split the calves off put the cows right back on the trailer and took them home. was not trying to hide anything they knew they had some good calves and did not need to hide anything. and was at a sale that has some buyers that will not dock you just because they can.

A few years back I seen a 106 head at another sale same deal good big cows and good calves nothing to hide.

I went by that pasture I said I would a few post back but all he had was the cows and bulls but no calves so I did not take any pictures. His cows are all what we would refer to as ''not real fleshy'' cattle like lots of longhorns, dairy cows, some Brahman cross, just cheap big frame cows with Char. bulls on them and I saw the calves they were nice and they were going to grow out to be big cattle.
there aint nothing to catch on to, they done did it and if they would not feed out they would not buy them all they are trying to do now is find another way to dock the producer for something that does not really matter any ways.

BRYANT":1n5z5sjb said:
What is there to catch on ???????????? your taking a cow that not real fleshy, Longhorn, breeding her to a bull that is real fleshy, Char. or what ever you choose, and making calves that will go to a feed lot and feed out good. I don't know about Corrientes most of them that I see is little pot licker cows but there Is some big Longhorn cows that will raise a big nice calf breed to the right bull. What are you hiding SPOTS and why do they dock you for them ? because they can and they will on other breeds as well and it all because they can, cause you don't eat the hide. Will a Simm. with white bring as much as one that's not, most places it will not, same cow and same bull raise an all black calf this year and one with chrome next year the same buyers will dock you cause they can. Its a racket they have between their selves. Same with eared cattle 1/4 eared steers will do great in a feed lot these sales that dock you its a racket and I wont sell there cause there is sales that eared cattle will do fine in.
I was at a sale a couple years back when they brought about 50 longhorn pairs in, Char. calves, unloaded the pairs split the calves off put the cows right back on the trailer and took them home. was not trying to hide anything they knew they had some good calves and did not need to hide anything. and was at a sale that has some buyers that will not dock you just because they can.

A few years back I seen a 106 head at another sale same deal good big cows and good calves nothing to hide.

I went by that pasture I said I would a few post back but all he had was the cows and bulls but no calves so I did not take any pictures. His cows are all what we would refer to as ''not real fleshy'' cattle like lots of longhorns, dairy cows, some Brahman cross, just cheap big frame cows with Char. bulls on them and I saw the calves they were nice and they were going to grow out to be big cattle.
there aint nothing to catch on to, they done did it and if they would not feed out they would not buy them all they are trying to do now is find another way to dock the producer for something that does not really matter any ways.
What area in Southeast Oklahoma?

I didn't read all three pages so this might be a repeat.
Unless you want them to rope don't do it. Junk is junk is junk.
The really nice "yard ornament" long horns usually don't go through the barn or cheap.
I've been setting at three sales a week buying calves and I'm astounded at the amount of sorry, no good genetic trash coming through. It's tough getting good calves.
I set and think these people could grow a good calf for just a little more. As it is they are taking a lot less for what the send to town.

Latest posts