buying a bull.....

Help Support CattleToday:

la4angus

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2004
Messages
5,063
Reaction score
0
Location
South La
Anonymous":2clcxjbt said:
Thanks L4, but honestly since I dont know anything about AI'ing whatsoever, and noone I know does either, where would I find a AI tech? We only have one vet near me who sees large animals, and I know he doesnt do AI'ing. Any idea what the average cost of the procedure would be? Are we talking several hundred dollars here, and also does the tech supply the semen, or would I have to buy my own nitrogen tank to have the straws shipped to me? I dont have any problem at all paying a tech to take care of everything for me, I just dont know where to find a tech.
Where you located. Some one may know an AI guy just down the road from you. I am from the south so "Just down the road" may be 30 or 40 miles. Just Up the road could 40 to 50 miles.
 

Arancher

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Location
Louisiana
Well it's close but i have cows that cycle 30 to 45 days after calving, so ? But if i were you i would invest in a bull. I you AI and some time during a pregnacy they miss carry you will only find out when there is no calf.
 

cherokeeruby

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 25, 2004
Messages
1,161
Reaction score
0
Location
TEXAS of course
For anyone here to help you you need to provide your location. COBA has a large inventory of semen, locations in Ohio and Texas and maybe some other places. They can point you in the right direction regarding finding a technician.


http://www.selectsires.com


Anonymous":21uv8ts8 said:
Thanks L4, but honestly since I dont know anything about AI'ing whatsoever, and noone I know does either, where would I find a AI tech? We only have one vet near me who sees large animals, and I know he doesnt do AI'ing. Any idea what the average cost of the procedure would be? Are we talking several hundred dollars here, and also does the tech supply the semen, or would I have to buy my own nitrogen tank to have the straws shipped to me? I dont have any problem at all paying a tech to take care of everything for me, I just dont know where to find a tech.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

I live right by DFW airport, in Keller TX. The only large animal vet I have found is on the other side of Denton, TX, about 60 miles from me one way.
 

Campground Cattle

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 24, 2004
Messages
2,533
Reaction score
0
Location
East Texas
Anonymous":2f7p002n said:
I live right by DFW airport, in Keller TX. The only large animal vet I have found is on the other side of Denton, TX, about 60 miles from me one way.

Man thats cattle country its hard to believe you wouldn't be able to find someone close to A/I.
 

cherokeeruby

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 25, 2004
Messages
1,161
Reaction score
0
Location
TEXAS of course
How far is Terrell from you have quite a few good large animal vets here also one in Kaufman

Anonymous":1bkdmr3t said:
I live right by DFW airport, in Keller TX. The only large animal vet I have found is on the other side of Denton, TX, about 60 miles from me one way.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Terrell is up I-20 , so it's about 60-80 miles away. Where would I look in the yellow pages to find AI techs? I just looked under vets, no luck. Looked under breeding, no luck. Any other ideas? If I have to pay a vet or a tech to travel 100 miles or so to AI my cows, wouldnt that get real expensive really quick? I'm sorry to ask so many questions, but this is all new to us and since this is the beginners board, I felt you guys could help us out!
 

la4angus

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2004
Messages
5,063
Reaction score
0
Location
South La
Anonymous":6mzf2ohv said:
I live right by DFW airport, in Keller TX. The only large animal vet I have found is on the other side of Denton, TX, about 60 miles from me one way.
Just one more reason that if a person was registered and we know where they were at, we could help them.
Send me a PM and I will give you a contact 40 miles from you that is as good as you will find for AI, Palpation, or.embryo transfer. If I would have known where you are located you could have contacted him by now.
AI is your best bet in your situation.
Send me a PM.
 

cherokeeruby

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 25, 2004
Messages
1,161
Reaction score
0
Location
TEXAS of course
They won't be listed, just have to ask a vet or someone who sells semen who does it in your area. One of our members lives in Flower Mound he can probably help you find a tech or knows someone who can, probably knows a good vet in your area also. Cannot remember which poster it is but he will read this and respond I am sure.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Anonymous":1dgxqmpk said:
AI'ing seems to be alot more work for someone like me. I have a full time 50 hr a week job, and I wouldnt be around to know exactly when they come in heat, know when to call the tech in 12 hrs later, and stay and be there for the tech when he gets here. One cow seems difficult enough, 5 cows seems like a full time evaluation of the breeding cycles. It seems easier to let the bull run with them for a few months, and then either put him in a smaller pasture or maybe just let him run with the cows full time. Am I missing something on the AI'ing? For you full time guys who are around your cows most of the day, I can see AI'ing, but I dont feel near comfortable enough to know the precise cycling time for these cows. The money isnt that big of a deal so that is why I was considering buying a bull, and letting mother nature run its course!

My advice (if its worth anything) is to buy yourself a commerical bull...don't be scare to buy one at a salebarn. Commerical bulls are no difference if you bought one at a ranch or at a salebarn..a bull is a bull, always a bull. Stay away from those pricey bulls....those pricey bulls are for ranchers with a lot of cows. If you bought one of those pricey 2-3000 dollars bull....you will just be breaking even or at a loss on the first year or two. If you sold your five calves at 500-600 and they were sold around 500 650 dollars...you will net at 2500 to 3250 dollars...thats your net..this isn't include your feed, shots, etc etc.... A 900 dollar bull do just as good as an 1800 dollars bull... Just use your wits when it comes to buy a good bull at a decent price. Don't jump on the first thing you see....it might not even be Angus..could be Hereford or Charolais or a Brangus bull.. Goodluck to you!
 

la4angus

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2004
Messages
5,063
Reaction score
0
Location
South La
cherokeeruby":35kxp2zw said:
They won't be listed, just have to ask a vet or someone who sells semen who does it in your area. One of our members lives in Flower Mound he can probably help you find a tech or knows someone who can, probably knows a good vet in your area also. Cannot remember which poster it is but he will read this and respond I am sure.

Maybe LazyHill Ranch.
Between you, LazyHill and my friend at Weatherford he should do some good. The thing to do IMO is to have them synched. and do a timed breeding.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

The person that posts as "Eric" is from Flower Mound -- he's also a relative newcomer to the cattle business. Perhaps you can get a conversation going with him, see where he bought his bull, etc. Also, I think there are quite a few dairy farms in north Texas and maybe you could hire one of their techs for AI.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest from near DFW --- don't be upset about one of A. delaGarza's earlier comments to you. These boards are great, but you can't see the person that is "talking" to you or hear the tone of his voice. If delaGarza's comment had come from someone in northwestern Nebraska it most likely would have been sarcastic and condescending ; but I feel sure that same comment, posted by delaGarza, was not meant the way you took it, for he has always been a helpful poster and does not look down his nose at the newbie or guy with a small herd.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

For 5 or 6 cows I would borrow or lease a bull from a friend and move my calving season to utilize bulls in your area that are not being used such as june to july calving .
 

txag

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
1,712
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
here's my 2 cents. a.i. is a very good option for someone w/just a few cows, BUT something that hasn't been mentioned, you will need some pens w/at least a head gate to catch them & hold them in to be a.i.'d. also, with your schedule the best option probably is to sync them. even w/synchronizing, you still get best results from watching for a standing heat after sync. your conception rates will be slightly lower w/synchronizing than with natural heats so it's very likely you won't get 100% bred.

so, i would suggest for a part-time owner (i mean one that works off-farm) is to buy a bull. it doesn't have to be the highest $$ animal that you find. follow bill's advice & look for good conformation, temperament, and have him semen tested. many sellers will pay for this themselves. if they don't and you have it done, make sure when you buy him that you have him tested before you put him out w/the cows and have an agreement with the seller that if he doesn't test, they will replace him or refund him. that's the problem w/oregonian's suggestion......bulls that go through the salebarn are usually not tested or guaranteed & for a newbie there could be other problems that are hard to detect w/o experience. you should be able to find a young bull in the price range you are looking at and for just 4-5 cows, a bull about 15 months should be able to service them if he's big enough (usually the younger bulls are a little cheaper)
 

Hawk

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 28, 2004
Messages
167
Reaction score
0
Location
North East Texas
Here is another two cents worth. You might try this site:

http://www.selectsires.com/beefline.html

They have an office in Tyler, but they might have one closer to your place. They sell semen from a wide variety of bulls and will furnish the tech to do the AI work. They also offer classes from time to time to teach folks how to do it themselves. They have been good to talk to and they understand that there are a lot more small cattle raisers that big operations. The sale barn that I use most, Emory, Tx, sales quite a few bulls that have been fertility tested on the day of the sale. They guarantee the bulls to be sound. They also sell untested bulls that the buyer can have tested at the barn before you take him home. Keep using this site. You can get a lot of good info even if you might have to occasionally endure a few cheap shots.
 

Running Arrow Bill

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
3,439
Reaction score
2
Location
Texas Panhandle On US 83
As a native of SW Denton County, TX., with ranch property still couple miles from Alliance Airport that is leased out...I can sympasize with the people in the DFW Metroplex that need to locate good large animal vets and AI facilities.

In the last 40 years the DFW Metroplex has turned into a huge "corporate" work environment with terminally ill congested freeways and interstates. Most of the former "country towns" such as Roanoke, Justin, Denton, Keller, Flower Mound, Plano, Grapevine, Watauga, Rhome, etc., etc., have turned into bedroom commuter communities with probably most of the Vet services being focused on small animal and "designer" animal pets.

To find a good large animal vet, one will probably need to "GO OUT" from these areas into such more still rural towns as Weatherford, Bridgeport, Jacksboro, Gainesville, Cleburne, and so on...even though some of these many towns within a 75 mile radius of DFW are being attacked by the "Growth Virus" of the big city.

And, consider the cost of paying the Vet for a "house Call" to your place versus the cost of getting a trailer (if you don't have one) and/or paying someone to pickup and haul your livestock to a Vet and bring them back.
Can also contact the Texas Animal Health Commission in Austin for a list of Vets that work with livestock in Texas.

Hope this information helps anyone that is new to the cattle business in the N. Central Texas area!
 

Campground Cattle

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 24, 2004
Messages
2,533
Reaction score
0
Location
East Texas
txag":3iwnw7ro said:
here's my 2 cents. a.i. is a very good option for someone w/just a few cows, BUT something that hasn't been mentioned, you will need some pens w/at least a head gate to catch them & hold them in to be a.i.'d. also, with your schedule the best option probably is to sync them. even w/synchronizing, you still get best results from watching for a standing heat after sync. your conception rates will be slightly lower w/synchronizing than with natural heats so it's very likely you won't get 100% bred.

so, i would suggest for a part-time owner (i mean one that works off-farm) is to buy a bull. it doesn't have to be the highest $$ animal that you find. follow bill's advice & look for good conformation, temperament, and have him semen tested. many sellers will pay for this themselves. if they don't and you have it done, make sure when you buy him that you have him tested before you put him out w/the cows and have an agreement with the seller that if he doesn't test, they will replace him or refund him. that's the problem w/oregonian's suggestion......bulls that go through the salebarn are usually not tested or guaranteed & for a newbie there could be other problems that are hard to detect w/o experience. you should be able to find a young bull in the price range you are looking at and for just 4-5 cows, a bull about 15 months should be able to service them if he's big enough (usually the younger bulls are a little cheaper)

txag is giving you some good advice. Be careful on anything Oregonian post take it with a grain of salt. I don't have any right now I can put you in contact with a guy that has good herefords pm if your interested 800 to 1500 dollar range. Circle C Ranch has been raising polled herefords since the 30's good cattle and people
 

jcarkie

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 26, 2003
Messages
1,048
Reaction score
0
Location
arkansas
if the calves are 4 months the cows should have been bred already to have calves every twelve months. if you put a bull with them by the 10th of may they will calve about the middle of february. to me that is the best time to clave anyway. you can find a good bull for about $1000.00 dollars. for 5 cows you can use a bull 1 year old. look for a masculine head and build, good feet and legs, large testicles, calm diposition. if you know someone in your area that might help you look, like the guy that sold you the cows. i would like to a.i, but i don't have time heat detection or facilities
 

A. delaGarza

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 25, 2003
Messages
504
Reaction score
1
Location
N.E. Mexico & Deep South Texas
Have you decided what to do, you should buy a bull to began with and later when you have more time and learn more about cattle you should began to experience the feeling of real "Cattle World" even if you have 5 or 10 cows it doesn't matter but you need to have the feeling.
 
Top