Business Plan

Help Support CattleToday:

Go big or don't bother is my philosophy, Not to say a 1000 cow operation is ideal for the startup but the smaller you get the more the economy of scales works against you. I would say anything less than 100 head by the end of 2 years is just a headache after work.

My introduction to cattle started when my dad purchased a Black Angus steer when I was 10. We've been running small numbers of cattle every since. Now, I would like to start a commerical cow/calf operation. My goal is to have between 250-300 cows, just need a little help figuring out how to get there.

Beef11":3lfg5l0s said:
Go big or don't bother is my philosophy, Not to say a 1000 cow operation is ideal for the startup but the smaller you get the more the economy of scales works against you. I would say anything less than 100 head by the end of 2 years is just a headache after work.

100 head is sort of my magic number as well. I know thats not what you were looking for.

After several "successful" businesses over the past 40 years, I'd say start small and expand as you gain experience in that business. Otherwise, without "experience" (regardless of how much "information" you research and acquire, starting out large is a wreck waiting to happen...

An animal business is probably as or more volatile and unpredictable than the restaurant, retail store, or similar business ventures with many variables to deal with as well as unknowns.

The business should pay its own way without excessive amounts of start-up and entry periods (up to 5 years in business).

According to historical national statistics, "most" new businesses fail within the first 3-5 years due to lack of proper capitlization, cash flow, management skills, and marketing skills.

sedrick_hall":1b755yp3 said:
Anyone have Business Plan for starting a ranch they would be willing to share?

Hey, I'm getting the idea you are going to have to write your own.
I do have an idea for you though.
Go to a local college or university, find someone that may be teaching this in their class.(Buss. Ag.) I have done this with engineering projects. They assign it to their class. Use them, your tax dollars pay for it, and you help students.

novatech":1y3qkp4i said:
sedrick_hall":1y3qkp4i said:

Go to a local college or university, find someone that may be teaching this in their class.(Buss. Ag.) I have done this with engineering projects. They assign it to their class. Use them, your tax dollars pay for it, and you help students.

If you have an extension office nearby they may can help. Even your local USDA service center may be able to help out

dun

dun":1j7bk9rv said:
novatech":1j7bk9rv said:
sedrick_hall":1j7bk9rv said:

If you have an extension office nearby they may can help. Even your local USDA service center may be able to help out

dun

Thanks All, I think I will start with the County Extension Office.

Sedrick - You seem business minded and I think that's great.

Here's a link with mostly free publications that you can browse and print.
http://tcebookstore.org/pubbrowse.cfm?catid=84

I think the first page has a business plan.

This has stragetic planning considerations:
http://tcebookstore.org/pubbrowse.cfm?catid=83

On the top of that page, you can link over to other business considerations for your ag business.

Good luck and after you get your plan together, follow it, but be flexible that some things may not work. Stick to your goals, though, just find other ways to reach them.

With cattle being as capital intense as they are it is easy to short change yourself as far as working capital goes. I believe that a good cattle operation has reserves that will cover all expenses for 2 years. This will give you far more options and allow you to get the most for your product.

Latest posts