I'm new to the sale barn business. Is this the right job for me?

Help Support CattleToday:

darcelina4 said:
Look up Temple Grandin cattle handling videos. Like others have said, dont get aggressive with already scared animals or you will regret it. I've seen great handlers at the salebarn that make it look so easy. They are never in a hurry and act like a leader so the cattle aren't scared further but feeding off the emotions of the handler. I've seen fools that should never be around any animals beating and being just plain cruel to cows. We should all be offended by those people. They make cattle more dangerous to the people who get them after. The handlers job is to move the cattle, not torture them.
Well said.
Be cautious and vigilant. Be calm but ready to move fast if you need to.
Don't let yourself get afraid of them. They will pick it up.
If you get a little scared of them, take a breath and exhale and re-group yourself.
After you have worked with cattle awhile you will learn to sense the flow the (Force) and work with it.

I cant say much, but I have one I call kung fu panda, she is very cute, but a deadly and accurate and has an un predicable round house kick.

Any like this that clip you will hurt, if any land that kick, you will be down and out most likely.

Ryder said:
darcelina4 said:
Look up Temple Grandin cattle handling videos. Like others have said, dont get aggressive with already scared animals or you will regret it. I've seen great handlers at the salebarn that make it look so easy. They are never in a hurry and act like a leader so the cattle aren't scared further but feeding off the emotions of the handler. I've seen fools that should never be around any animals beating and being just plain cruel to cows. We should all be offended by those people. They make cattle more dangerous to the people who get them after. The handlers job is to move the cattle, not torture them.
Well said.
Be cautious and vigilant. Be calm but ready to move fast if you need to.
Don't let yourself get afraid of them. They will pick it up.
If you get a little scared of them, take a breath and exhale and re-group yourself.
After you have worked with cattle awhile you will learn to sense the flow the (Force) and work with it.

Like with dogs or anything, you need to be boss.

But do not try and establish that with a new animal in unfamiliar surrounds when your 180lbs and they are 1800lbs....you will prob lose 😀

Know some experienced workers that got crippled up,pretty good ..one friend will never be the same..still able to haul cattle independently., from where he got mauled by a bull.. bull pitched him into the rafters knocking him out and broke him up on the way down....hope That helps :D

ALACOWMAN said:
Know some experienced workers that got crippled up,pretty good ..one friend will never be the same..still able to haul cattle independently., from where he got mauled by a bull.. bull pitched him into the rafters knocking him out and broke him up on the way down....hope That helps :D
Not to worry.
Dosen't that always happen to somebody else?

Latest posts