I'm new to the sale barn business. Is this the right job for me?

Help Support CattleToday:

Broncs25

Reaction score
Hello my name is matthew, I'm new to the sale barn business and I was wondering if anyone could help me be safe and possibly give me tips on how to work cattle from the trailer to the pin? This is my first official job, a few of my friends talked me into working with them out there. All I'm asking for is just some tips and how to do stuff around a business like this? So if yall could give me some tips and pointers that would be fantastic.

Just be aware of your surroundings. Always have an exit plan. Don't get in a position where you don't have an exit option (against a solid wall). Get a flag, paddle, or sorting stick so you are working cattle from several steps back giving you more time to exit and also out of range of a kick. When they are moving the right way, keep them moving. Learn to read cattle. Some bluff and some don't. That is not something that can not be taught over the internet.

what Dave said plus.... don't ever turn your back on one. Cattle at the sale barn are nervous and don't know what's going on. Most come from a nice laid back life on the farm to this chaotic place. They're gonna be a little stressed.

And PLEASE don't be one of those barn workers I've seen that thinks he has to take his sorting stick and beat the cow/calf every step it takes. If ones moving in the right direction you shouldn't have to do anything but close the gate behind them. I stopped an auction one time because the kid working the alley was taking baseball type swings at every cow that came thru. I made the barn manager bring him in the ring and I told him if I saw him hit another cow like that I would do the same to him. Almost everybody there came by and thanked me.

Remember the front shoulder is the pivot point. Too far forward and they will back up. As said some just don't obey the rules so be careful.

Never, ever, let your guard down. Focus, focus, focus. They are powerful animals, and they are scared to death.

One inattentive moment and your world could change.

A cow kicks back and to the side. Not straight back. Unfortunately that's the best spot to be in to move a cow. Just stay back and use your stick - sparingly.

Biggest thing is positioning yourself in the right spot to get a cow to go where you want. You'll figure it out by trial and error.

You've been given good advice by those above. Treat the cattle how you would like them treated if they were yours being run through there.

You can learn just about anything on YouTube. That and a good vet. I am the first in my family to ever own cattle. I've tried raising cows for all sorts of purposes and have made all sorts of mistakes. Best knowledge I have got is online blogs, YouTube and our vets. Even when it comes to running them through the squeeze the first time. I had a young vet come help me, they are easier to come by in our area and usually more patient. Paid extra than doing it myself but got good training. That and I watch a ton of YouTube.

Instead of trying to learn cattle on the internet do this.
Get to work at Least 20 minutes early. Meet the boss ,shake his hand and be honest with him. Ask him where he wants you, what he expects.
Ask him who you should go to when he's not handy. Pay attention to the more experienced. You'll have to follow for a while. When there is idle time pick up trash.

i agree with fence, but if you go to utube and search for cattle handling tips you will get some ideas.

at a sale barn one day and a worker had a calf hemmed up in a corner and was hitting it with a hotshot and the calf had no where to go. the calf was terrified and shaking-please don't do that.

don't get in a hurry with cattle. good luck

If they are moving , don't pressure, don't turn your back, and don't try to anticipate their movement. Read up, it will save you headaches, stay calm.

Like Kenny said, there is a sweet spot to walk behind them and keep them moving forward. I would say it is about 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock depending on which side. Also watch out for an aggressive animal. They will not try to get away from you but will stand their ground and stare you in the eye. These are the ones you need to be extra careful around.

I don't mind the aggressive ones, they are easy enough to figure out. The ones that get in full flight mode are the ones I don't like. You can't predict them and nothing good is going to happen when you get them by themselves.

Get a big hat, that is all our agents at the saleyards use . They just hold it out in their hand to block an animal. They use it very effectively with minimal stress to the animal and little to come back at them with animal welfare complaints.

Ken

Lots of good advice has been given. Be very careful around gates, when a cow hits or kicks a gate it may come flying your way and knock you down. Also be careful around cattle when chaining gates, easy to loose a finger. If you happen to fall or get knocked down get up quick. Shoot on sale day you really want to be the man on a horse, they want cattle ran through as fast as possible.

Look up Temple Grandin cattle handling videos. Like others have said, dont get aggressive with already scared animals or you will regret it. I've seen great handlers at the salebarn that make it look so easy. They are never in a hurry and act like a leader so the cattle aren't scared further but feeding off the emotions of the handler. I've seen fools that should never be around any animals beating and being just plain cruel to cows. We should all be offended by those people. They make cattle more dangerous to the people who get them after. The handlers job is to move the cattle, not torture them.

callmefence said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
And if he asks you to "steer" any bull calves tell him flat out, NO, that's way too dangerous to the knife handler.

They don't cut calves at the cow sale wingnut

Actually, our sale barn would work the cattle for a price. Do it in the late afternoon, if it was a small sale, or do it the next day for a buyer. Don't know if the new management will do it but the old ones would. In fact so did the other little sale barn that was bought out by this group years ago.

callmefence said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
And if he asks you to "steer" any bull calves tell him flat out, NO, that's way too dangerous to the knife handler.

They don't cut calves at the cow sale wingnut

The vet will do it at the sale barn here in town.