checking cows - pick apart my plan :)

Help Support CattleToday:

pdubdo

Reaction score
I'm sure there are tons of factors here, but I talk to lots of people who check their cows daily. On the other extreme, I've talked with some (mostly open range or tons of acreage people) who turn their cows out for "seasons" at a time without a thought. I'm experimenting/gambling with my 4 cows--I live an hour away, check on them 1-2 times a week, have a guy who can help if there is trouble, no nearby livestock or dangerous roads, and all fences are new-ish. But I rely on a game camera that sends pictures to my phone. It's placed at the only water (300 ga concrete tank). As long as I see 4 cows coming to a full tank of water twice a day, I feel like that might be, "good enough". Let the opinions and critiquing begin!! :)

I check mine at least once a day, 3 or 4 times a day during Sept, Oct, and Nov (calving), but that 's just me. It's pretty easy for me, 1/2 mile from my shop, 1.5 miles from my home.

The camera is a good idea. When I'm home I enjoy checking on the cows. Cows don't need a babysitter, just water and grass. We go a week or two without checking them a few times a year.

I have a group of 30 that get rotated every 5 to 7 days. Thats when I see them. If they are mature cows, you won't have many more problems than those that check on a daily basis. Granted they are cheap, mostly older cows. Probably wouldn't feel the same if they were $2000 heifers

You should be fine with mature cows. Some of mine are 3 miles from my house and only get checked twice a week when it's not calving season.

I got a pasture with 27 head in it that is 45 miles away they get checked about once every 7 - 10 days. Unless it is deer season then I use them as a reason to go more, then cense I am there I just as well hunt till dark, good excuse to go hunting. Any cow that has not had calves cense I own them or any heifers I will calve them out at another place where I can check them daily or several times a day if need be.

I think the game camera is a great idea. I'm with mine every day but we live on the ranch so it's not like I have to travel long distances. The exception is during calving when I'm out there multiple times during the day - and night.

I think that is a great idea , syncing to your phone, use the tools you have! Do you have an idea when they will calve? Then you can make the trip more often and check in person . Mature cows are usually pretty trouble free , do you get good definition video or pictures ? I have mine off the home place also , and would like to dispense with unnecessary trips just to count heads , even though I like to see them in person , it would ease my mind if I missed a day .

Why have I never thought of that??? Other than calving season, you should be fine. I have the same deal, except I have cattle both at my house, and at the pasture at my home place 110 miles away. I NEVER let them calve there and check them once a week, and occasionally two. Mine water at one of two ponds and there are way too many head to count on a trail cam, but seeing them at the ponds occasionally would bring me a lot of peace! Thanks for the idea!!

I was going to move a few about 1/2 hour away and check them every 2-3 days, mainly to check/fill water tanks. However after checking the fences I'm not going to move them now.
Given good fence and water supply, I would stick with the 2-4 day check. Not sure I'd want them any further away, just because of time involved.

During calving season I live with them, feeding season I see them daily but during pasture months I see some sometimes, like when I take out salt or just to check and see where they've moved to and how pastures are holding out. Because of the bush there will doubtless be many cows I won't see until they come in in the fall. Right now it's a bit of a journey by quad to the far end, and haying season cuts in to "cow checking time" more than I'd like. It is nice to spend some time with them and watch how they progress.

A neighbor of ours who doesn't live nearby( yet) has a really nice setup for monitoring his cows. He has wifi cameras set up that he can log in and take a look around in real time or review footage that's recorded. One's by the pens where he has the mineral setup, another one shows the entrance gate, etc. If he notices anything out of the ordinary, he can call his sister who lives a couple of miles away. Over the years , he's contacted us a couple of times to run by and look things over. It's way beyond my meager abilities to set up or operate but it works great for him in between his weekly visits.

The camera idea should work fine and save some driving. I talked to the guy who leased my new place today. Tomorrow they are riding one of the BLM allotments (five people horseback with an untold number of dogs). Pushing the cows to a different part of the allotment. I know he has seen some of the cows since turn out in April but I would bet not all of them. He hopes he gets to see them all tomorrow. If not they get to ride it again in a couple of days.

Where you located? What kind of cows you got?
I have known people to check them only at sale time.
I have known others that check them several times a day. Unless there is a good reason I think that is overdoing it.
Just depends.
Checking fences might be more important than checking cows.

Ryder":3qs7m67p said:
Where you located? What kind of cows you got?
I have known people to check them only at sale time.
I have known others that check them several times a day. Unless there is a good reason I think that is overdoing it.
Just depends.
Checking fences might be more important than checking cows.
I can see the light from the road.
If the light is not blinking fences are good five strands and two hot make life easier.

Mature cows, I would say twice a week. We had a pasture about the same distance you mention and that worked out good since we had to ship in water about twice a week.

I'm editing my response. It's dangerously, rotten hot & humid here so I'm checking my herd at least twice a day for signs of heat stroke. Lots of shade & water but I just brought one down to the barn to hose her off, stick her in the cross breeze & turn the fan on her. Will try & move her to the lake just before dark.

So I guess it depends on the time of year, whether they're calving & Mother Nature.