Bulls for Brangus Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

C Bar C Ranch

Reaction score
Greetings!
I have recently come into control of the family ranch and its herd of approximately 70 mama cows. There have been no records kept, and heifers have historically been retained solely on their conformation with little selection on maternal characteristics beyond milk production. The herd has run with Brangus bulls for about 12 years, but an ill advised adventure with a herd bull out of a Charolais cross has resulted in several dilute cattle. They have historically been pampered through the winter with cubes when hay and supplement tubs would have sufficed. The bulls have traditionally run with the cows year round, which makes it difficult to discern the most fertile females from the slugabouts. The greatest underlying flaw I see with the herd is that their bags have a tendency to break down when they are about 7-8 years old and several have tits larger than I think they should be. Perhaps seconded by a slightly larger frame than I would like. There are definitely worse cattle in my area, (Western Arkansas, just south of Ft. Smith), and Conformation wise, they are decent cattle. But I want to turn them into much more efficient producers.

I'm running two Brangus bulls currently, a four year old and an eighteen month old. Both are solid bulls with good conformation, however, I have to turn this herd into a profitable venture instead of maintaining the simple tax write off that they were, and straightbred cows aren't the answer. The question is what to cross on them. I intend on retaining the heifers out of my best cows and slowly culling bad bags, slow breeders, dilutes, etc. My long term plan is to maintain two breeding programs. One herd of F1 Brangus x (X) mama cows bred to a terminal sire (Y), and another herd of about 30 straightbred Brangus females to produce F1 replacements.

I would like the F1 sire to produce thrifty mama cows of medium frame possessing tight bags, small tits, and the ability to produce consistent calves well into her life; I'm done retiring 7 year old cattle. I have contemplated several breeds, mainly: Gelbvieh (or Balancer), SimAngus, and Hereford. Gelbvieh offers a good blend of maternal and muscle, with the added kick of early onset puberty, high fertility, and the increased heterosis a Continental brings to a 5/8 English cowherd; the downside may be too much milk production. SimAngus holds many of the same virtues as does the Gelbvieh, but with an added bonus of carcass quality that I expect would really shine when you put a Charolais bull on the Brangus x SimAngus cows; however, the SimAngus may not be as thrifty as I would like with the larger frames coupled with the high milk production. Herefords are good hustlers, good mamas, easy fleshers, and a black baldy sells well in this area; the downside from my viewpoint is lack of Continental blood in the cowherd.

The terminal F2 sire is likely to be a Charolais or, perhaps, a Limousin.

Any feedback you can give will be most helpful! :cboy:

Welcome, first of all.

You seem to know a fair bit, I'll just tell you the best bull I've had yet for making good mommas was a Gelbveih (the one in my avatar), I had a lot of shorthorn in my herd, and the frames were getting really big, and the GV x SH have done very well for me so far, oldest I have is 5 and has been raising the best calves of the crop right from the get-go. As chance would have it, my current bull is a Limo, and I'll be able to tell you much more about how that works out next spring and fall, I think he'll really 'click' with the GV cross cows, but might have a bit much frame to make an impressive animal out of the SH crosses. After you see the results of a good GV bull in the form of meaty butts and backs, it's hard to go back to some other breeds, especially if you don't have exceptional bulls.

I'm a big fan of long-lived cows, I just put down one of my best cows (arthritis) last fall after 16 calves, and her calves just kept getting better.

Good luck :)

I'm going to guess that except for the Char influenced cattle, the herd is mostly black?

C Bar C Ranch":1ggyzwgp said:
Herefords are good hustlers, good mamas, easy fleshers, and a black baldy sells well in this area; the downside from my viewpoint is lack of Continental blood in the cowherd. :cboy:

Why do you feel a need for Continental blood in your cows? I have a similar operation to yours, though on a smaller scale. I run Hereford and Brangus bulls on mostly Brangus cows. I keep the Brangus heifers for my own replacements, sell all the steers at the auction, and sell the Hereford x Brangus heifers to other people for replacements. The black baldies sell well here also, both the steers and heifers.

Sounds like you have a handle on things. A Hereford bull will produce you some good replacements out of those cows. I also think there would be some merit to sticking with a brangus bull on those cows.

Nesikep":1819k236 said:
I'm going to guess that except for the Char influenced cattle, the herd is mostly black?

Yes, the rest are black, with a number of black - red carriers . The red comes from a Gert bull a number of years ago. I intended to go black Gelbvieh to keep a uniform herd.
@Rafter S: The continental blood would simply bring some add heterosis as well as make for meatier F1 steers. But the baldies do sell well.

First of all, Welcome to the Boards! Have you considered a two breed rotational cross using Brangus and Hereford. The F1 heifers would make good cows and their steer mates will sell well at the sale barn. Breed the Brangus X Hereford females back to Brangus for replacements or to a Hereford for terminal crosses. In your part of the world, that may not even have to be a terminal (in East Texas we want ¼ to ½ blood Brahman influence in our cows). You can also use the continental breeds you suggest for terminal crosses that will sell well. Try to keep your breeding plan as simple as possible.

A controlled breeding season matched to have the majority of the calves born about 2 months ahead of your highest quality grass will help get cows cycling and rebred on schedule. You can work on replacing cows that fall out of your breeding season and also work on culling bad uddered cows.

You mentioned that cows were "pampered" with cubes when hay and supplement tubs would suffice. Before you jump to conclusions, sit down and look at the cost of a pound of protein from cubes and a pound of protein from a supplement tub. You may be surprised. Get your hay tested and find out if you need to supplement. Remember that cows nursing calvs have higher nutritional needs than dry cows. The controlled breeding season will also be a controlled calving season that makes nutrition simpler..

Again, welcome.

All of the maternal traits you're referencing are found in Aubrac cattle (a moderate breed from south/central France) known for their longevity, hardiness and ability to perform on grass. They should do just fine on an "earn your keep" sort of a ranch and they should make some phenomenal F1 mama cows for the operation you've described. In fact, one of the most successful branded beef programs in all of Europe involves double muscled Charolais bulls on Aubrac cows (even while growing these sorts of large calves, Aubracs still lead all French breeds in calving ease and longevity).

If you want some information, feel free to let me know. I've posted some here in other threads, as well as some pictures.

WalnutCrest":312j1m9b said:
All of the maternal traits you're referencing are found in Aubrac cattle (a moderate breed from south/central France) known for their longevity, hardiness and ability to perform on grass. They should do just fine on an "earn your keep" sort of a ranch and they should make some phenomenal F1 mama cows for the operation you've described. In fact, one of the most successful branded beef programs in all of Europe involves double muscled Charolais bulls on Aubrac cows (even while growing these sorts of large calves, Aubracs still lead all French breeds in calving ease and longevity).

If you want some information, feel free to let me know. I've posted some here in other threads, as well as some pictures.
Oh for sakes......

Just don't use aubrac cattle if you are a commercial operator and your goal is selling calves at the sale barn.

@BC Let me elaborate on their "pamperedness." 200# of 16% range cubes per day with hay and protein tubs out free choice all winter long. But, because of the year 'round breeding season some cows were lactating through the winter.

I have considered rotating Brangus and Hereford bulls through the herd. Black still reigns in my part of the world, and though hide color matters little to me, I don't like taking a dock at the sale barn. Further, in the back and forth system I would steadily loose Zebu percentage in the herd, eventually leading to the need to introduce higher percentage Brahman bulls to maintain the Zebu influence. With Arkansas' hot, humid summers and the parasites that come with them, I find the need for a little bit of ear. I am leery of introducing such variability to the cowherd.

My thinking was to maintain approximately 30 cows (Out of approximately 100) that were straightbred Brangus, and to utilize AI sires of whichever bred I choose to create my commercial mama cows. This system essentially makes it possible for me to keep one breed of bull, the terminal sire; it lets me breed my own replacements; and it maximizes heterosis while maintaining a homogenous herd. Brangus replacement cows could be purchased as needed or bred on the farm using AI. I'm just conflicted as to which breed to use for the F1 sire!

Out of those choices, I would probably go with Gelbvieh. If your goal is to make an F1 mama, then I think using a breed with a lot of maternal upside is the answer. I think the heifers would make super nice cows, and the steers should bring a premium. To me, a Simangus is more of a terminal type of sire. Actually, that might be an excellent cross to go back with on a bunch of Gelbvieh x Brangus cows. Or even just a straight, black Simmental. Ultimately, I think a lot depends on the quality of bulls that you are wanting and how far you are willing to go to get them. If you have a reputation Hereford breeder right down the road, it might make more sense to go that route than driving 5+ hours for quality Gelbviehs.

One downside to using a Hereford for the F1 cross is that they'll all carry red. I don't know what kind of calves get discounted where you are, but you'd have to be careful about what bull you used on those so you don't get a lot of red or yellow calves from that terminal cross.

Personally, I would opt for a purebred Simmental, though Gelbvieh would suffice for the replacements, just not as well IMO (sorry 3way and V). Of course I'm somewhat pimping. If crossing for replacements, I would go for the purebred Simmy first, and then come back with terminal Herfs or Limousin on the terminal side, but in all actuality, a Sim would work for either replacement or terminal. The #1 factor will be choosing the right bull, not necessarily just the right breed.

While arguing about breeds makes for good fodder, grazing management will do more for your bottom line than anything else. Minimizing the cubes, hay, and lick tubs helps. Then working to ratchet up the breeding season so cattle can be managed appropriately together in my opinion.

There is a lot to be said about a straight-bred cow herd. You can control it better genetically and consistently. Breed for reliable maternal replacements then use terminal Bulls for market calves. May not be what you want, but it should not be dismissed so easily.

This would be easy to assimilate into my herd ifthis fell into my llap today....I'd continue with the best brangus bull and Hereford bull I could afford. It will take a few seasons for you to really get any production info out of your cows so picking replacements from the herd at this point will bea challenge. Black baddies sell well It's going to take some serious cash to cull hard and replace with top notch cows right away so even a "flawed cow" that is still producing isn't to bad for a terminal herd. Put the Hereford on your best brangus cows. Brangus bull on the rest. If you spot any keepers from the Hereford cross then you can put them in front of the brangus bull.

Understand. Raising calves for beef is easier and more forgiving than raising replacement stock.

What is the plan for the steers and the heifers that end up in the not good enough pen? Are you going to feed them, sell as calves, yearlings? Where are you going to sell them? With that what sells well at that barn? Do you have your heart set on making your own replacements in house?

I like what all 3 of your selected breeds and I think they all bring something to the table. Like several people have said the right bull of the "wrong" breed is going to do you way more good than the wrong bull of the "right" breed. Assuming all thing equal if I was handed your herd, with your goals I think I would go with a homo black, homo polled Gel bull, bring them down a little, keep them solid color, add some milk and hopefully fix the bags. I think that a Sim would be just a little bigger, but not an all bad option for a terminal sire. Additionally in this senerio all the calves (both replacements and terminals) should be solid black and there should be less sort at the barn=bigger groups=more per lb=bigger check. I love Herfs for what they are and what they can do, but when you bring in the chrome and the recessive red gene are you opening yourself up for more sort at the barn?

Another option if you don't have your heart set on making your own replacements is to buy in either straight bred Brangus or F1 females them come over the top with a terminal sire. With 70 head you're going to be replacing 10ish females every year. How many pounds are you leaving on the table (steer calves) by using a maternal or balanced trait bull? Could those 30 cows be making you more money by being bred to the high grow Sim, Char or Limi bull? Furthermore do you have the time, space and management to develop those heifers to their genetic potential. While my family's operation is smaller than what you have to work with we have gone to using a char bull over all the black cows and selling all the calves at weaning then buying back bred heifers/young cows. This works for us as we have a good outfit, close to home that breeds several hundred heifers a year that we can dip into for our replacements.

Is AI an option? If so you could Sync a group of cows, breed them to your maternal bull then kick out your terminal sire for clean up.

Before any of this will pay you need to figure out who's working for you, and it sounds like you know that. There are a bunch of people on here that have catchy tag lines about being grass managers and the like, and they're right. Do you have total control over the herd or is dad, grandpa, uncle Jim or sister Jane going to be sitting there knocking every decision you make with the "well, we've done this for the last 30 years and it's worked. Why do you need to go changing it?" Sounds like you have a good idea of where you're at and where you want to go, now you just need to get there. And don't get frusterated, it's a marathon not a sprint.

I would recommend a Murray Grey bull. They will moderate the frame of the slightly bigger cows. They are very easy keeping, and will produce calves well into their older years. They have plenty of milk, but not too much to draw them down. They will wean great calves and they cross well with a variety of breeds. We sold a few Murray Grey bulls to a commercial breeder who had black baldies, Brangus, and Angus cattle. His Murray Grey cross calves were out of first calf heifers, and were a month younger than his other calves. He bred over 100 heifers to the Murray Grey bulls and didn't need to pull a single calf. By weaning, the Murray Grey crosses outweighed the older calves, and they had a much better phenotype than the calves out of the other bulls. The Murray Greys also have great carcass traits, and will finish beautifully on grass alone.

Engler":1te9y3ty said:
What is the plan for the steers and the heifers that end up in the not good enough pen? Are you going to feed them, sell as calves, yearlings? Where are you going to sell them? With that what sells well at that barn? Do you have your heart set on making your own replacements in house?

Depending on the way the market swings, I will sell calves at weaning or feed out to about 800#. I am looking towards doing some steer feedout at the University of Arkansas to see if retaining ownership to the rail is an option for the future after some herd growth. In the meantime, I have contacts with the local buyers, and they will come out to buy straight of the farm at weaning. However, I want to give them as uniform a pen of calves as I can, which is why building and maintaining a homogenous herd is important to me. While I do not have my heart set on breeding my own replacements, the resources are available to me. Buying commercial replacement females is well and good, but they will be hard to find locally. That is, females with a known back ground will be hard to find locally. So I feel that with my resources, my back ground in genetics, and the ability to employ AI technology, retaining a core herd of straightbred cows is the best fit for the operation. You mentioned using the terminal sire for clean-up, and that is precisely what I had in mind.

My concerns with the Gelbvieh are two fold. My first concern is the quality of the beef. As the market stands now, the packers like cattle that are 50% British 50% Continental. Will taking Gelbvieh cross cows to a Limousine or Charolais bull result in diminished carcass quality? This wouldn't matter when selling at the salebarn right at weaning, but if I am going to deal with cattle brokers I need to give them what they want. My second concern is that it may bring too much extra milk into a well milking herd. Though using a terminal sire on all the GelbviehX cows would mean excessive milking to the point of rolling fat heifers offers no issue from the F2 reproductive standpoint since they are all going to the packer anyway, I still don't want to encounter diminishing returns. More milk still means more input, which in turn means fewer mama cows. Will the Gelbvieh influence of more pounds at weaning equal less total pounds from each calf crop?

Starting with the Shorthorns I had, I find the 1/2 and 3/4 GV animals produce as well, are smaller, and don't eat as much as their bigger counterparts. My weaning weights haven't changed significantly, but the look of the calves is much better... They make you want to take out the steak knives and cut a piece out of them right there ;) Still, it is hard to compare, because there will be hard and easy keepers regardless of the breed... One of my easiest keeping cows is 1/2SH, 1/4 Saler, and 1/4 Hereford, she raises a 700+ lb bull calf in 205 days, and stays fat all year.. Most surprising is she's usually the first to stop eating.
For my own herd, I'm looking at 'moderating' the frame size of the majority of the cows, then, depending on what my market needs, using a larger framed, growthier bull to get the larger calves (heterosis aside even).

WalnutCrest and BackboneRanch, You know I think you both have excellent stock, but if consistency in the look of a herd of calves is important, and you're starting out with a black herd, I just see the calves starting to all have different colors. I have been trying to knock the chrome off my SH influenced cows and it's a long process. If you're in a position where you're finishing your own animals, then the color doesn't matter anymore and you can use more 'exotic' breeds and I don't doubt have great success with it as well.

Oh, and I guess if the packers want 50/50 british/continental, I guess Brahman influence should go out the door... I have heard Limos have excellent carcass quality, and a GV steer I had butchered the guy said it was some of the nicest meat he's ever seen, so I don't see too much cause for concern in that area.

Nesikep":2ur7ugjs said:
WalnutCrest and BackboneRanch, You know I think you both have excellent stock, but if consistency in the look of a herd of calves is important, and you're starting out with a black herd, I just see the calves starting to all have different colors. I have been trying to knock the chrome off my SH influenced cows and it's a long process. If you're in a position where you're finishing your own animals, then the color doesn't matter anymore and you can use more 'exotic' breeds and I don't doubt have great success with it as well.

If he wants a consistent color, Aubrac-colored cows cross fine with Charolais (which was one of the terminal breeds he said he is considering). You'll have a higher chance of getting brindled cattle if you're breeding Aubrac-colored cows to red bulls. Based on his initial comments (maternal, hardy, low-input, moderately framed, long lived, Continental, etc.), Aubrac would be a fine fit for what he's doing. As would some of the other suggestions that others have made. Not pimping a breed; just stating a fact.

I tend to agree with most of what has been stated here by everyone. There are pros and cons to changing everything. If I were in your position, I would be very careful about adding any more milk until I knew the ranch/range could support it. It doesn't sound like there was a whole lot of "management" per say going on. Just dump out some cubes and hay as needed and collect and sell a few calves whenever the bank account got low. Or did I miss something? It sounds like the original herd isn't a complete loss, just need to start managing for the traits you deem important. Personally, I wouldn't be too excited about using any continental bull for replacements. It goes back to too much milk. Also, purchasing replacements is all well and good, but in the current market what's the point of selling commodity heifers as feeders and then paying a premium for your replacements. Your home raised heifers are already adapted and ready to go. Maybe in 5 or 10 years the premium for bred heifers won't be as high, but right now if it moos and is bred, it's gold. One last thing, the ability to use AI gives you the chance to experiment on a small scale with different breeds and types of bulls. Try breeding 5 or 10 head to a Murray Grey, Aubrac, Sim, Gelbvieh, Hereford, or even a fancy Brahman. Heck there are some cool looking Greyman pictures on another thread. If you don't like the result, chalk it up to getting an education. You still get to sell the calves, and who knows you might end up with a killer cross for you ranch.

Latest posts