bulls an feed

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
well i just got back from feeding/but before i put feed in the troughs for the cows i put feed in the bulls pan.an before i could get the cows feed in the trough here comes the bull.i move stiff an slow feeding so i dont like the cows close when i feed.dont need getting knocked around.i sware that bull can smell feed.

Of course they can smell feed. :lol:

They can also hear the sack crumple from an amazing distance upwind. I've penned more than once with an empty sack but don't try it too often. You can only cry wolf so much before they catch on. ;-)

well i think he heard the dog barking an the 4 wheeler start up.the goodthing is he is used to eating feed an real easy going.

Sir, you say you move "stiff and slow."
You shouldn't be in amongst them feeding. In my county alone I know of two men killed while feeding bulls. It is extraordinarily dangerous to do this. They don't have to be mean. Just impatient.
There must be some inexpensive way to separate yourself from the beasts.
I don't mean to lecture. I'm just a nut about safety when handling cattle.

im always very careful when i feed cattle.if they are up an to close for comfort i usually let some1 else feed them.the bull is gentle but i dont trust him or any bull for that matter.

Best way to stay out of the way is to feed in troughs along a fenceline and pour feed in from the other side of the fence.

yes your right that will work.im in the process of trying to splitt a pasture into 3 pastures.buts its so dry an gound is rock hard.that i dread digging the postholes for the fences.when i get that done ill have a feeding pasture that i can shut the gate on.

john250":17ib7w95 said:
I'm just a nut about safety when handling cattle.

You are gonna have lots to say in here then John!

Welcome :lol:

Now bigbull338, don't go blowing my image of you, I was waiting for the part where you smacked him behind the ear with an axe handle and made him dance around tippy-toed and look for a rat hole to dive into!!

:lol: :lol:

AngusLimoX":9krzmc3x said:
john250":9krzmc3x said:
I'm just a nut about safety when handling cattle.

Now bigbull338, don't go blowing my image of you, I was waiting for the part where you smacked him behind the ear with an axe handle and made him dance around tippy-toed and look for a rat hole to dive into!!

:lol: :lol:

You are soooooo bad! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

im still as tough as i once was.just not as crazy anymore.ive been knocked around quiet a few times.

bigbull338":2a2jlbwu said:
im still as tough as i once was.

Never doubted that for a second! :D

The great part about your post is that even with your many years of experience safety is important and always on your mind.

John250, you do a search on bull attack, handling safety, all that stuff you will get enough horror stories to keep you reading for hours.

its always best tobe safe round cattle.b/c you dont know when something will go wrong.