bull weight questions

Help Support CattleToday:

rws

Reaction score
just watched a bull auction on sattelite found it real interesting can someone tell me what all the numbers mean example. bw:84 adj 205wt:838adj365wt:1313sc: qualgrd:cab yield grd:3 prem:58.59

that is the bulls performance data . The BW means Birth Weight , 85 lb , adjusted WW means his weight at 205 days , and the YW means his weight at 365 days ie.. 1335 lb. the other is scrotal circumference and carcass data.

thanks polledbull now i will know what im watching next time rws

rws":14og3gmz said:
bw:84 adj 205wt:838adj365wt:1313sc: qualgrd:cab yield grd:3 prem:58.59

Remember, "adjusted weight" means it has been calculated with a formula to the 205 weaning and 365 yearling. The animal could have been weighed before or after these dates, (and been lighter or heavier) but it is adjusted based on different criteria. (using age of dam, whether or not creep fed, bull test etc.) You'll have to get with the Angus people (ie" CAB yield) to get a good explanation of their carcass info. I would suspect the 58.59 to be $ profit per 100 weight, and Qualgrd (Quality Grade) to meet CAB requirements, and the 3 prem to define the grade they would suspect in the carcass. Angus people? Am I way off here?.. :)

Be sure you call around and ask some order buyersand feedyards what they pay for that adjusted weight.LOL

personally i don't think they should even post a weaning weight if they were creep fed. doesn't show any criteria for how the calf's mother did her job

jerry27150":25kgauhp said:
personally i don't think they should even post a weaning weight if they were creep fed. doesn't show any criteria for how the calf's mother did her job

It does if they take off for being creep fed it in the calculations. Most people will feed their calves in one way or another anyway (leftovers, cubing the cows, licks, etc.) It gives honest breeders a way of reporting (choices) how they manage their calves, and dosen't assume everybody will just wean on grass. There are several selections purebred breed assoc.'s offer during reporting for how young calves were managed up to weaning.

Drought conditions or extended winters in some regions can also make creep feeding necessary. All breeders do not have unlimited pasture resources to get their calves to their market size at the time they need to without supplementation. Some assoc. will let you turn in weights starting at 140 days which will give a more accurate account of what the moma has done to milk out the calf, before the calf's weight can be to far skewed by feeding.

Latest posts