Bull Temperment Change?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I leased young bulls for a while and never had a temperament issue. I bought a calm BA long yearling last spring and named him Bull. We got along fine and he bred everything with no fuss.
I ran him with the steers this winter and spring. He was at the front for a pasture move, and again no fuss.
I put him back with the cows in July. He was sounding off when we turned into the drive way and went right to work.
Now when I walk the pasture or the pasture fence - - he sounds off, walks up, paws dirt, and puts his head down. It seems to be all show, and if I wade in with a tool he backs off, but the sudden change makes me a bit uncomfortable. He ignores everyone else in the family.

Is this just a case of spring fever or should I be planning on a new bull next spring?

As soon as he comes off the cows I would ship him. He's probably feeling his testosterone now

I had a similar thread in here this spring. My bull started to realize his size as well. Ended up pushing down fences, challenging my skidloader, and eventually going after my wife as she drove across the pasture in the pickup. He went to the sale barn as a kill bull and I don't regret it a bit.

I agree, sell him. He will get worse, but you can't predict when. It might be tomorrow or it might be a year or two. Not worth the risk

Latest posts