Bull question!

Help Support CattleToday:

Bill Elliott

Reaction score
From my other posts you know I'm fairly new to this business. I just got a call and now have "inherited" a 2 1/2 year old registered angus bull. The bull is healthy and first calves from him are also healthy. My question is this...I only have 5 cows and that's all I can carry given my pasture land. My calving season starts first week in March. Intuition tells me that these 5 cows can't keep the bull "busy". Will this hurt the bull? I would like to keep the bull but don't know if this is in my best interest. Any thoughts? Thanks....cheers, Bill

I agree it won't hurt the bull but if there are any cowherds within sniffin' distance it'll most likely be hard on your fences and that might hurt the bull. Do you have a hotwire around the perimeter?

While I agree to the posts so far, if you really want to keep the bull, instead of selling, you may want to look into leasing him out to someone with a larger herd. :cboy:

Have semen collected so you can use him to A.I. your cows. Much cheaper than purchased semen. Then sell him. Best of both worlds.

I would look at all the options post here. You want the bull to be "working" for you and "earning his keep".

Keep the bull ! The lease deal sounds pretty good - even a loaner deal - maybe trade his services for some hay/grain or fencing. In most farming communities there will be a few people that just don't have the number of cows to justify keeping a bull (or may not have the necessary cash to purchase) - check with your local feed dealers / agr. agent to see if they know of anyone looking for a bull.

I would use him then sell him. Collecting semen would be far more expensive than buying semen. If he is free, use him. you might want to sell him or trade for another bull with different genetics but if you got him, use him

You might lease a bull. A big seedstock producer around me leases bulls if you are willing to follow his vac. program. You could also do the same with your bull. Lease him out. The key thing is to vacinate the animal IMO. Some guys and gals buy one they like and them sell it back later after breeding. Sort of like leasing.

Scotty

i would keep him and use him. just make sure you have good fences. leave him in there all year long too. that way he'll be less likely to get bored if he has someone to smell occasionally, even if he doesnt get "any".

plbcattle":3659banv said:
I would use him then sell him. Collecting semen would be far more expensive than buying semen. If he is free, use him. you might want to sell him or trade for another bull with different genetics but if you got him, use him

True. I forgot about the low number of cattle to service.

I think I would sell him. Use the money to buy another female. Ask a local seedstock producer if you could buy semen out of one of their herd bulls.

plbcattle":2nhxmh5t said:
This guy already has a bull to use and only 5 cows. IMO one of the bulls has to go or else be fighting. Also IMO collecting semen is out of the question. You can buy semen from some of the best bulls in the country from $15.00 to $30.00. Why collect from and store semen from a mediocre bull which this probaly is spending money on a nitrogen tank and nitrogen.

Sell one of the bulls and buy another good young cow or hfr or better yet sell both bulls and buy 2 cows or hfrs and go 100% AI.

la4angus":235hoihs said:
plbcattle":235hoihs said:
This guy already has a bull to use and only 5 cows. IMO one of the bulls has to go or else be fighting. Also IMO collecting semen is out of the question. You can buy semen from some of the best bulls in the country from $15.00 to $30.00. Why collect from and store semen from a mediocre bull which this probaly is spending money on a nitrogen tank and nitrogen.

Sell one of the bulls and buy another good young cow or hfr or better yet sell both bulls and buy 2 cows or hfrs and go 100% AI.
I agree with this. You will get more for your money.

Bill Elliott: Do you drive the 94 car? I will be glad to keep your cows bred for a ride in the 94 car.
If you want to AI your cows you will still need a bull to clean them up (make sure they are bred.) So you may as well keep the big guy around to keep the cows bred. However, you only need one bull and using a loaner may be your best bet. I raise Angus bulls in Alabama and I am sure we can work something out take care of your cows.
The bull should be fine if you keep him in with your cows. The only bulls I have trouble with are ones that are kept alone or in a fence with cows on the other side of the fence or bulls shearing a common fence. They tend to try to fight or bred through the fence thus knocking it down.
If you keep your cows vaccinated and in good body condition we can work something out for you to use a bull three months out of the year.

I gave up the 94 car for an ol ford 8N, gets better gas mileage but doesn't hold the corners of the pasture as well!!!!!

Thanks for all the advice. It's a beautiful bull so I think I'm going to keep it. Will only service my 6 cows but thats OK. I don't think I'll have any problems finding someone who needs to "borrow" a bull. Hopefully I won't need any replacement cows anytime soon...mine are all fairly young...do have one about 8 years old.

Thanks again...cheers...Bill

Latest posts