Bull Poop

Help Support CattleToday:

chippie

Reaction score
A friend called me the other day. She and her husband own a home on 5 acres and her CPA had been working on her taxes and she decided that she needed to get a tax break on their property taxes.
Well, she saw the miniature Hereford cattle at the Houston Livestock Show and became enamored of them. She called me to see what I thought about them raising freezer beef out of mini Herefords (on less that 5 acres).

She spoke to a couple of breeders and was told that:
1.) Since they are miniature cattle, you can get an Agricultural exemption on less land because they don't require as many acres as normal cattle.

2.) A mini steer would feed a family of 4 (live weight 750 to 800 lbs).

In our county, you have to have a minimum of 25 acres to get an Ag exemption. She believed that the county would reduce the acreage because the cattle are tiny. I asked her where the breeder was from. She said, "Oh!"

Then she told me that one steer would feed a family of 4. I felt like asking her how many meals? She did not know about live weight, hanging weight and dressing percentages. She was lead to believe that the 750 lb steer would feed a family of 4 for a year.

I told her to call the County Appraisal District to find out if she could get an Ag Exemption on her 5 acres if she ran miniature cattle. It irritates me that a person would be so misleading about their stock.

Guess it depends on how much beef that family is going to eat in a year. If it doesnt last, well sorry, you eat too much.

Latest posts