Bull Nutrition

Help Support CattleToday:

mmaxwell

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2 year old registered Black Angus bull and turned him in with 20 cows. He has access to free feed of 12% protein Bermudagrass hay but I feel that I should provide some supplement also. I traditionally creep feed my calves 14 % pellet type supplement that I get locally from my COOP. I would like to feed the bull some of this also. How much supplement should I feed him on a daily basis? MGM in Tennessee

I agree you could use your creep feed to supplement the bull, but this depends on his condition score. If he is already a 7+, he may not need any right now. As a producer, you need to adjust feed according to the "eye of the master". Most people love their animals so much, they have a hard time really "seeing" that they are thin - or FAT. If you have a livestock extension agent available, have him/her come out & condition score your cattle, and explain what they are looking for.

mmaxwell":mgeufwmj said:
I just purchased a 2 year old registered Black Angus bull and turned him in with 20 cows. He has access to free feed of 12% protein Bermudagrass hay but I feel that I should provide some supplement also. I traditionally creep feed my calves 14 % pellet type supplement that I get locally from my COOP. I would like to feed the bull some of this also. How much supplement should I feed him on a daily basis? MGM in Tennessee

If you just turned him in with the cows, now is when you get to see what his real working cloths will be like. He will eat what the cows eat.

Alot of breeders will get then plumped up to make them look as if they are easy keepers and will throw meaty calves, but come mid breeding season their show cloths goes to falling apart cloths. Fat bulls can't work as well as in shape (muscle but not so much fat) bulls.

Keeping your bull in his every day situation work cloths will tell you what kind of a bull he is and what he will throw, when the calves go to the feedlot.

cattle_gal":36icmgtz said:
If you just turned him in with the cows, now is when you get to see what his real working cloths will be like. He will eat what the cows eat.

Alot of breeders will get then plumped up to make them look as if they are easy keepers and will throw meaty calves, but come mid breeding season their show cloths goes to falling apart cloths. Fat bulls can't work as well as in shape (muscle but not so much fat) bulls.

Keeping your bull in his every day situation work cloths will tell you what kind of a bull he is and what he will throw, when the calves go to the feedlot.

Good advice. ;-)

Latest posts