Bull needs his hooves trimmed

Help Support CattleToday:

jamncattleco

Reaction score
I have a 3 year old bull that has long hooves on his back feet. I was wondering if feed had anything to do with his feet not wearing down or if it was a structure issue. Also, what has worked the best for you as far as getting them trimmed?

Optimally, hoof trimming is best left to the packing plant, especially with bulls. I would question why you want these genetics in your herd, although maybe it is a ground and travel issue creating poorly worn hooves.

If your bull is Hereford, polled, and has a damn good temper, I have a solution that doesn't involve a chute or a trimming table, but does involve a tub of grain, two strong men, 30 feet of 3/4" rope and a tractor. That said, I am a little backwards and I don't want to get you killed. Then again, I have never done the feet of a three year old, 2 years is the oldest I have and would ever attempt. :cowboy:

I don't know where you are located but there is a good franchise called No-Tilt hoof trimming, look it up and make an appointment. Or call your vet and see what they suggest as they can anesthetize the bull a bit before working on them..

Also what Aaron said about beefers and trimming, but yes, feed and soil moisture can have a significant impact on hooves growing long without wearing.

jamncattleco":75s6ksfm said:
I have a 3 year old bull that has long hooves on his back feet. I was wondering if feed had anything to do with his feet not wearing down or if it was a structure issue. Also, what has worked the best for you as far as getting them trimmed?

This is often a sign that at some point in his life he had a bout with accidosis but many times it effects all four feet. If that's the case trimming the hooves will be a short term solution but will be something you'll have to do again from time to time. Hoof trimmers have the proper equipment (tilt tables) that basically immobilize the animal while they do whatever is necessary. Not a lot of stress on the animal and easy work for the trimmer.

sounds like your bull has been foundered at some point in time.but you can take him to the vet an get his feet trimmed.after they are trimmed id keep my eye on him.an make sure he doesnt start limping.an that they dont grow out to fast.

There are 4 basic reasons for long toes/poor feet. Feed, footing, injury and genetics(structure).
Contact a local dairy and see when they are going to have the hoof trimmer out then have the trimmer work on the feet.

Never had to trim a bull's feet, but the back feet on cows are pretty easy, if you have a chute. Once I have them confined in a chute, I use a large diameter rope tied to something overhead to pull the foot up while extending the leg out behind the animal, then use nippers or pruning shears to trim the toes. Better left to a professional, but when that's not an option......? Seems on this soft clay, the feet on the heifers always grow out. I try to trim them around 18 months and they usually don't grow back, at least not bad enough to be a problem. Never had a problem with a bull, though. I would suspect a feed issue.