Bull for Red Balancers

Help Support CattleToday:

shaz

Reaction score
Well, I just bought 15 more red balancer heifers giving me 21 total. I have a dedicated heifer bull for the first calf but after that I'm wondering what bull to use on them for a 3-way cross. I'm not really concerned about color. Just looking for the best 3-way maternal and if that means heferford then so be it but I'm open to anything within reason.

Any ideas?

If brahman influence is ok then you could go Gert or Braford. rarer breeds would be red poll or devon if you could find them, they're good maternal too. IMO, would be nice to keep all solid red for consistency.

shaz":37mcrd1i said:
Well, I just bought 15 more red balancer heifers giving me 21 total. I have a dedicated heifer bull for the first calf but after that I'm wondering what bull to use on them for a 3-way cross. I'm not really concerned about color. Just looking for the best 3-way maternal and if that means heferford then so be it but I'm open to anything within reason.

Any ideas?

I would use a Red Poll bull to produce a 3 way maternal cross.

It seems to me that you are playing 'tiddly-winks' or maybe 'leap frog' just to come up with something different. Are you focusing on an ultimate "terminal" breeding herd with multiple breed genetics, or are you experimenting with a "cow-calf" genetic formula? In other words - what is your primary "goal" in your breeding program?

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":2wc9f3hm said:
It seems to me that you are playing 'tiddly-winks' or maybe 'leap frog' just to come up with something different. Are you focusing on an ultimate "terminal" breeding herd with multiple breed genetics, or are you experimenting with a "cow-calf" genetic formula? In other words - what is your primary "goal" in your breeding program?

DOC HARRIS

Ditto. In order to know what path to take, we kind of need to know where you want your destination to be. :mrgreen:

I'm a cow calf producer. The goal is terminal but I have to work on my gene pool. I have a mostly angus herd with alot of saler influence. This herd was built by dumptser diving in drought years 2005-2008.

DOC HARRIS":3gyp4gmr said:

DOC HARRIS

Tell me about your cows.

shaz":okmbk5n1 said:
DOC HARRIS":okmbk5n1 said:

DOC HARRIS

Tell me about your cows.

He's trying to help you! Why bash him?

shaz":3tknj5qj said:
DOC HARRIS":3tknj5qj said:

DOC HARRIS

Tell me about your cows.

The man has obviously forgotten more about cattle than you or I will ever know. You ask a question, and then reply with that question? Wow...that was intelligent.

shaz":2ic1sqqs said:
I'm a cow calf producer. The goal is terminal but I have to work on my gene pool. I have a mostly angus herd with alot of saler influence. This herd was built by dumptser diving in drought years 2005-2008.

I think you have to make up your mind about the direction you are going in. You cant have it both ways. A great terminal bull would not be what you want if you are trying to improve your gene pool. I think the question to ask yourself would be, is this gene pool worth the effort or should you sell out and replace your gene pool with fewer animals but better quality.

shaz":3f9sv8ky said:

Any ideas?

A hereford on the red balancers would work just fine. Decent steers and great heifers. And save the terminal bulls for the salers/angus cows. :2cents:

ANAZAZI":3gtd73eh said:
shaz":3gtd73eh said:

Any ideas?

A hereford on the red balancers would work just fine. Decent steers and great heifers. And save the terminal bulls for the salers/angus cows. :2cents:

I agree!

Gators Rule":1wf0z6jq said:
shaz":1wf0z6jq said:
DOC HARRIS":1wf0z6jq said:

DOC HARRIS

Tell me about your cows.

The man has obviously forgotten more about cattle than you or I will ever know. You ask a question, and then reply with that question? Wow...that was intelligent.

Because I really didn't appreciate the "tidddly-winks" comment. I'm no breeder but I do what I can with what there is.

ANAZAZI":35a6gotj said:
shaz":35a6gotj said:

Any ideas?

Thanks Anazazi,
That is a workable solution for me.

Latest posts