bull failed breeding exam

Help Support CattleToday:

ccr

ranch hand
Reaction score
We worked cattle the other day and had the vet test the bull for breeding soundness. The vet said the bull was at 25%. During the test the bull was shaking and went down in the chute-hadn't seen that before. The 33 month old bull sired 11 calves for us last year with 9 calving in 22 days and the other 2 a month later.

The bull had a snotty nose for a couple of weeks and runny poop that a fecal exam did show some parasites.

We leased a bull for now. I'm wondering if I should have him retested later or ship him to be processed. morty.JPG

What do y'all think?

That happens every once in a while. I send them down the road when it does. It could be that he was sick if he has had a fever it could have affected him, Could be that he might get over it, but with a bull that isn't a chance i am willing to take.

Thanks. He didn't have a fever when the vet did the exam.

I'm thinking like you send him on down the road.

If you like the bull I would test again. Sounds like he was a bit stressed with the situation. See if you can get him done by massage next time.

Ken

An Ill bull wouldnt be expected to pass.
Wont hurt anything but the pocketbook to re-test if u like him.
My bwf bull that failed last year, one testicle was like jelly, bred 11 out of 14 cows.
Vet said he may only get a few but dang sure wouldnt put any faith in it.
I put him with em anyway. Sold him after a couple months. The yearling charolais got the other 3 after he left.

Seemed like the vet kept turning up the juice until the bull was shaking all over and then dropped down in the chute. Don't think the vet did massage, just the machine. We do like the calves from this hereford bull and our red angus and simmental cows, and disappointed if he's just shooting blanks.

Thanks for the replies.

I agree with the others to try again if you like the bull. You might also try a different vet if one is available. I had my bulls tested before putting them back with the cows after a three month lay off. One of the bulls passed but the sperm was "weak". The lady vet that did the procedure told me that is not unusual for a bull that has not been active. She also said some will fail only to test good a couple weeks later after being out with the cows. Made sense to me. Some just need to get the pump primed it seems.

Seemed like the vet kept turning up the juice until the bull was shaking all over and then dropped down in the chute. Don't think the vet did massage, just the machine. We do like the calves from this hereford bull and our red angus and simmental cows, and disappointed if he's just shooting blanks.

Thanks for the replies.
That is how things are done when a bull doesn't give a decent sample or protrude at a lower voltage. We do 50 a year and they are all different.

BTW, if you like the bull you should retest in a couple weeks. Putting him with an open cull cow will get him warmed up.

Had a bull that needed a good warm up to pass his bse. First shot was given a fail. Went back out and collected another and this one was outstanding.

Main concern would be if you're hoping to be keeping calves for breeding stock... especially bull calves. Never know if what ails him might be a genetic issue.

It takes around 60 days for a bull to produce a sperm cell from start to finish, so if you suspect something happened that made him temporarily sterile, you'll probably need to wait more than a couple weeks to know if it's coming back.

Last week your weather (and mine) was tough on animals for this time of the year. Cool 35 degree mornings and 73 degree afternoons. I only had one calf that had to be treated but a whole lot of the herd, calves and cows had snotty noses. Now after three days of rainy coldish windy weather where they had almost 5" dumped on them, they look great. If he doesn't have a high temperature, I would bet he is fine. If your ready to put him on the cows , do so and then have him tested again in a couple weeks. Then you will know for sure and won't be second guessing your self.

Like Buck R said, today's sperm started their journey to maturation 60 days ago. If some injury, fever, severe subfreezing temps, etc. were in the mix within the past 60 days (or further back), that could account for poor quality now.
If you're up for keeping him around... wait 60 days and re-test... though in most cases, for the average commercial-use bull, you'd be better off shipping him and using salvage $$ to buy a new one.

A thorough BSE is more than just looking at a drop of semen...
Performed properly, it will include examination and palpation of extended penis, testicles and internal accessory sex organs, in addition to examination of semen for gross and progressive motility and staining to examine for any primary or secondary sperm abnormalities. Doesn't always explain why the bull fails, but sometimes can give a diagnosis... testicular degeneration, seminal vesiculitis, etc.

Not at all uncommon for some bulls to go down in the chute - and it's got nothing to do with the vet 'not knowing what they're doing'. Some of them just do that.

If he was mine and I liked him, I would retest.
Are you trying for a certain calving window? Put him in and then put in a different bull (breed) 30 days later.... the calf crop will be the proof. We had an older bull that had tested fine, several years of 99% calving success and all of a sudden saw cows coming into heat. Pulled him out, put 2 other bulls in and got him tested. Blanks.... who knows why. Sent him down the road. But he was older.....maybe got injured? no apparant reason. It got the cows late calving that season, and all were bred within a 30 day window......calves showed 10 to the black bull and 3 to the red bull. It happens.

Latest posts