Bull Down!

Help Support CattleToday:

MosesR

Reaction score
East central Missouri; Washington, County
Yesterday morning my wife and I found our 4 ½ year old bull down. He is black angus and weighs 1800 to 2000 pounds. He apparently bedded down next to the fence and couldn't get up. I figure he had poor traction in the wet conditions. When we found him he was laying with his back down the hill feet up the hill and against the fence. It was obvious he had been struggling to get up but was completely exhausted. We pulled him away from the fence and positioned him with his feet down the hill per the Vets advice. Later, we found him next to the fence again so apparently he had been trying to get up. We then pulled him about 40 feet away from the fence into a drier area, propped him up with the FEL, fed and watered him. This morning, he was still down and no longer propped up. I did it all again, right now he is propped up lying on his belly, gave him feed and water. Now what? Doc says when a big bull gets down like this, there isn't much one can do to get him up if he doesn't have the strength to do it himself.

:help:

MosesR":1tcsqrez said:
Yesterday morning my wife and I found our 4 ½ year old bull down. He is black angus and weighs 1800 to 2000 pounds. He apparently bedded down next to the fence and couldn't get up. I figure he had poor traction in the wet conditions. When we found him he was laying with his back down the hill feet up the hill and against the fence. It was obvious he had been struggling to get up but was completely exhausted. We pulled him away from the fence and positioned him with his feet down the hill per the Vets advice. Later, we found him next to the fence again so apparently he had been trying to get up. We then pulled him about 40 feet away from the fence into a drier area, propped him up with the FEL, fed and watered him. This morning, he was still down and no longer propped up. I did it all again, right now he is propped up lying on his belly, gave him feed and water. Now what? Doc says when a big bull gets down like this, there isn't much one can do to get him up if he doesn't have the strength to do it himself.

:help:

Did you ask the vet if there was any kind of stimulant you might give him to encourage another try at regaining his feet? Of course that would most likely mean he is buzzard bait as you couldn't even grind him for burger at that point!

Haha. I saw that after I submitted it. Either way. If you want the hot **** just feed him a couple handfuls of habineros

MosesR, I had a young cow cast herself down a muddy slope some years back. When I found her I milked her and feed her calf with a bottle. She, like your bull was completely exhausted. Hooked the tractor to her and turned her, propped her up with a round bale of hay, carried water and put a little feed and hay where she could reach it and left her there for the night. Didn't have much hope for the situation. Next morning dug under her, run some old baler belts under her and lifted her with front end loader. Maybe the night of rest helped. Once she got her footing she stayed up. I wish you luck with your bull.

fitz

UPDATE
I spoke with the Vet and he said to roll him off of the side he was on because his leg would be "asleep" and numb. He gave us some steroids and something else?? for pain. He also said to get a tool called hip pin clamp to lift him with but we couldn't find one locally so I plan to use a baler belt to lift his hind end with. When we got back home we rolled him on his other side and let him rest, a couple of hours later I rolled him onto him belly, pulled his right hind leg into the correct position and held him there with the FEL. After some water and sweet feed I backed up the tractor and he stayed in the same position. I think later tonight I will try to lift him if he don't get up on his own.

Use a second strap behind his front legs if you can... lifting the rear alone is only really useful for animals with a strong will to get themselves up.

regolith":gq7y0e5o said:
Use a second strap behind his front legs if you can... lifting the rear alone is only really useful for animals with a strong will to get themselves up.

Thanks for the advice. We propped him between two round bales last night. This brought all the ladies around him also, as we all know, healing is better with your loved ones around. Fixing to go check on him in a few.

MosesR":g97a4ndp said:
Had to put him down. I guess its time to sync up the girls.

:(

I'm sorry for the bad luck and loss. I'd entered my last post before seeing you had to dispose of him.

fitz

Sorry to here that . In my experience if they lay there for 2 days they aren't getting up . People on here ask about it all the time . 90 percent of the time we know the outcome when the question is ask .

Latest posts