Bull down....Board tongue

Help Support CattleToday:

saltbranch

Reaction score
Not really down yet. Ours has come done with 'board tongue" as my father calls it. Tongue is stiff as a board and sticking out of mouth, snot running profusely from his nose. I gave him 35 CC of Penicillin Sunday before I left...just cuz. That seemed to help the snot per conversation with my father today. A trusted vet friend suggested mixing dry iodine in with feed. Which my father started today.
Has anyone else dealt with this before?

saltbranch":3nd5e30t said:
Not really down yet. Ours has come done with 'board tongue" as my father calls it. Tongue is stiff as a board and sticking out of mouth, snot running profusely from his nose. I gave him 35 CC of Penicillin Sunday before I left...just cuz. That seemed to help the snot per conversation with my father today. A trusted vet friend suggested mixing dry iodine in with feed. Which my father started today.
Has anyone else dealt with this before?

We've had 2 cows with Woody Tongue and our vet treated them with sodium iodide (IV).

Only saw it twice in my practice career. So far as I'm aware, IV sodium iodide is still the recommended treatment.

When he is that bad already, you need to do sodium iodide through IV immediately. Also a really good whack of LA Oxytetracycline. And give him only the softest grass hay you can find/buy - no heavy coarse hay. Woody tongue is easy to beat if you catch it early. Time is usually on a person's side, because it takes about 2 weeks between when they get it and when they can't eat anymore.