Bull breeding heifers...injury

Help Support CattleToday:

LB2727

Reaction score
We got a new 3 yr old bull and he has been with our herd for a few weeks now. I've noticed vaginal bleeding from 3 heifers after he has bred them. I haven't seen blood from any of the cows. Is this bull just being too rough with the heifers? Every year we have a few 1st time heifers and I've never noticed blood any other time with our previous bulls. So I'm worried if he is injuring them and also if they will get bred...I believe blood will kill semen.

We got a new 3 yr old bull and he has been with our herd for a few weeks now. I've noticed vaginal bleeding from 3 heifers after he has bred them. I haven't seen blood from any of the cows. Is this bull just being too rough with the heifers? Every year we have a few 1st time heifers and I've never noticed blood any other time with our previous bulls. So I'm worried if he is injuring them and also if they will get bred...I believe blood will kill semen.
What breed is the bull? How much does he weigh? What breed and how big are those heifers?

We've had that happen with Heifers when we had a 6 year old bull in with our herd. He was a calving ease bull. But he was really big, so we ended up selling him,. Because he was smashing the Heifers into the ground when he was breeding them, he just weighed to much. They all ended up bred, but we were concerned he would do permanent damage to them.

how soon after breeding are you seeing the blood? normal blood discharge that wbvs58 is referring to is generally 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 days after breeding. I would not think blood discharge would be from the natural breeding causing damage.

Latest posts