Bull and hot wire.?

Help Support CattleToday:

S.R.R.

Reaction score
Will a hot wire fence with wire fence behind it keep a bull from fighting with another and will it keep a bull from going through to reach in heat cows? And if not is out of sight O.K. or does it have to be out of hearing as well?

first you have to train the bull what a hotwire is.an teach him not to break though it.with it popping the devil out of him.so yes it can stop him from going though the fence.provided that you keep it working.b/c they will test it.scott

Hot wire works for us. Got some heifers seperated from bull right now by 2 strands of hot wire.

S.R.R.":1p4niyr5 said:
Will a hot wire fence with wire fence behind it keep a bull from fighting with another and will it keep a bull from going through to reach in heat cows? And if not is out of sight O.K. or does it have to be out of hearing as well?

How far are your wire and hotwire fences apart.

Bulls that can touch noses can accelerate their territorality and ultimately fight. A bull can smell a cow in heat a long ways off, especially if she is upwind to the bull.

Two bulls across a hot-wired fence may or may not challenge each other--physically.

IMO anything less than an alleyway separating two mature bulls is asking for trouble...sorry folks with the hot wires.

If a bull wants to fight another one and/or get to females in heat on other side of the fence, very few fences can keep them apart.

Hope the bulls are well-trained, have self-restraint and good manners... ;-)

I would have to disagree with you Bill, not all bulls are intent on fighting. I personally have 3 bulls on our place. Some places there is only a 5 strand barb wire fence, some 6 strand. No hot wires anywhere on the place. We have no less then 10 bulls on adjoining peoples places. I have had no problems with any bulls or cows in any place where they aren't supposed to be since I've gotten these new bulls (they've been here a little over a year now). There are all kind of bulls surrounding us too, from full blood brahman (huge bulls), angus, charlois, ????
I think it has a lot to do with the temperment of the bulls and how intent they are in fighting.

The hot wire is 4 in. off the same post as the woven wire fence. I had that plastic/wire hot fence but it does not seem to give the same shock as stright wire.

the type of fencing your using dulls the shock power.if you use hotwire wire you will get a good popping from it.if its hot itll knock you on your butt.scott

We raise bulls and replacement hiefers. They are next to each other 5 stran barbwire and 1 strand of hot wire. the hot wire is at about 6000 volts. The bulls walk the fence when a hiefer is coming in. We also have hot wire on a border fence with 5 strands bardwire. Niebors bulls are always raising h ll but our bulls pay them no mined. I have to agree that some bulls are going to fight and no fence is going to hold them if they want to go.

S.R.R.":3czpoxrs said:
The hot wire is 4 in. off the same post as the woven wire fence. I had that plastic/wire hot fence but it does not seem to give the same shock as stright wire.

IMO....It would be better if that hot-wire was a fence a few feet away.

Everytime I have used a hotwire on a regular fence here. It has always ended up tangled in the barb -wire and shorted out from wildlife moving back and forth .

An alley like R.A.B suggested is also a good idea.

Would out of sight but still within hearing work O.K.? The guy next door only rents a bull once a year and I do have a hot fence just out of sight that I could keep my bull in. It has only 3 wires but he knows were they are. He also would be with some cows of his own.

I personally run barbed wire and have never had a problem with my bull fighting with my neighbors bull and vice versa. I am running 6 strand barbed wire. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. Some bulls just fight and there is no way around it. I have seen electric with a good pop work on bulls. Yes they still walk the fence but they stay so far back from it that there is no way they could get to the other cows. One good jolt is usually all it takes and from that point on most cows and bulls for that matter come to respect an electric fence. I know an old farmer that has is cows so well trained on an electric fence that on the back of his head gate shoot he ties a piece of twine. The cows are so deathly afraid that the twine is a hot wire that they dont try and back up and turn out of the shoot. If anything they run right into the head catcher. In their eyes they would rather face the head catcher than the electric fence.

we have two bulls one dexter with horns and a hereford bull, the live in fields right next to eachother with 4 strands of hot wire down the middle and we dont have any problem. Except for the dexter bellowing cause he wants the hereford heifers. they have been this way for just over a year .

Latest posts