Building a Longhorn Herd

Help Support CattleToday:

Some neighbors to the west have several hundred(s) of longhorn cows. They breed them to Charolais. Makes a nice looking 500-600 pound calf. The trouble is when you sell that big of numbers the feedlots figure out your program. Those calves look great at weaning but just don't preform in the feedlot or on the rail. Thus the feedlots cut back on what they are willing to pay. They had to come up with a different plan for these calves to stay in the black. They stopped selling as weaned calves. I notice there are more beef breed cows showing up on their place.
Is it really the case that Char x Longhorn cattle are inferior or might it be possible that the market for feeder calves has become so concentrated that there aren't the enough bidders to be fairly paid for the calves. When I was a baby, my grandfather gave me a Longhorn heifer. The half and quarter blood longhorns were darn good cows except that they had spots. A good 7/8 English spotted calf would routinely sell for 30% under what their pen mates would sell for.

I have a few longhorns and have learned that if the cow is solid color or big spots you can normally get a solid color calf from Charolsis, Simmental, or Angus. One i bought last year bred to a Limousin also has a solid red calf. But if the spots are small i cant seem to breed the spots off the calf.

Is it really the case that Char x Longhorn cattle are inferior or might it be possible that the market for feeder calves has become so concentrated that there aren't the enough bidders to be fairly paid for the calves. When I was a baby, my grandfather gave me a Longhorn heifer. The half and quarter blood longhorns were darn good cows except that they had spots. A good 7/8 English spotted calf would routinely sell for 30% under what their pen mates would sell for.
I'm not a feedlot person but my understanding is it's about dollar conversions. People like to say one tastes better, or developes better but it's about dollar conversion. How much dollar out are you getting per dollar in. My understanding is the money is in higher grade animals because of the money conversion. It's that way to the point that some slaughter do not not even buy the lower grade animals because you are competing with the boat loads of animals coming from Zimbobawia or where ever else in the world our overloads see fit to cut deals. We call it the tacorea steaks.

I'm not a feedlot person but my understanding is it's about dollar conversions. People like to say one tastes better, or developes better but it's about dollar conversion. How much dollar out are you getting per dollar in. My understanding is the money is in higher grade animals because of the money conversion. It's that way to the point that some slaughter do not not even buy the lower grade animals because you are competing with the boat loads of animals coming from Zimbobawia or where ever else in the world our overloads see fit to cut deals. We call it the tacorea steaks.
Also 10 of today's cattle produce the same pounds of beef as 15 from the sixties. That is one positive of the EPD.
Longhorns are wonderful wild cattle they can't compete in the feedlots.
The feedlots have gotten scientific in chasing the dollar.
The breeds and their crosses have been genome mapped.
The calves are chipped when they come in, they know the weight gain feed conversion in x days and difference on x or y breed.
Longhorns, Dexters and Water Buffalo don't keep up.

The largest beef exporter since 2020 is Brazil. The US has dropped to number two. We were also the world's largest importer until 2018, We are now number two behind China.
China/Hong Kong is the largest beef importing country in the world since 2018 and will be the largest by a factor of two in 2023. Prior to the rapid growth in China/HK imports in recent years, the U.S was the largest beef importing country for many years. Beef imports in China/KH may decrease in 2023 for the first time ever as the country struggles with a recession and continued zero-Covid controls.

The U.S. may see beef imports increase modestly as beef production falls and supplies of processing beef drop sharply. Rising U.S. beef prices and the strong dollar will further attract beef into the U.S. from other markets.

There are a number of big feedlots very close to here. There is certainly a lot of competition from the buyers. One time at the sale there was a couple of big buyers sitting right behind me. Someone bought a ring load of steers. They started joking that the buyer didn't know that he just bought a load of longhorn crosses. One of those men is the head buyer for an outfit that probably has close to 200,000 head on feed. Park out here by the freeway and you will see 50-60+ semis full of fat cattle headed to the kill plants. Those big boys know what makes them money and what doesn't. And breeding Charolais takes care of the spots. As calves they just look like a Char cross.

Your not going to bs the order buyers at his own game.
You might burn him once but not twice! I know several that won't buy certain crosses until there a certain poundage.
You might cover them spots but that head and that African horn gene will still show.
All back forty cattle are good for is driving prices down for everyone.

Most of them aren't like that. The ones that have those huge spreads, are the 4 and 5 figure priced ones, bred for those horns. Like the poster on here that sells the $2500 calves. And those huge horns are usually on old steers. LHs with 3 foot spreads, are the ones you can buy for about what you can Corriente. And their horns aren't a whole lot bigger or wider tha Corrientes.
it all depends on how you define "huge horns". To be competitive today, a 24 month old heifer should have a minimum of 60"TTT. Yes, many mature steers with modern genetics will go 100" or more. but quality registered Texas Longhorns are so much more than tip to tip. Total Package animals excel in disposition, color, size, structural correctness, straight legs and horn -plus aptitude to ride & drive! Mothering abilities, easy calving and longevity is just the icing on cake. Today's modern Texas Longhorn is a specialty breed. An American heritage breed -and not to be confused with Corrientes or even Angus. Otherwise, one would be comparing apples to oranges. if you like Angus, great! Raise them or Hereford or any breed that suits your preference. There is something for everyone :)

Attachments

• Lily 26 months old.jpg
    Lily 26 months old.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 7
Look what the industry did with holstein cross steers. For years they were given away. Now there is a decent industry where the big dairies AI their cows to to sexed semen beefy black bulls and the feedlots will readily buy them because they have learned it can be profitable if fed correctly. Some feedlots in dairy country specialize in this.
These crossbred calves sell well at OKC if you have a large enough quantity of them. You aren't fooling any buyers up there. They know if bought right and fed right, they can be as profitable as any. I would imagine the Char crossed LH could be done the same way. Maybe the buyer in Dave's story knew what he was doing.

Look what the industry did with holstein cross steers. For years they were given away. Now there is a decent industry where the big dairies AI their cows to to sexed semen beefy black bulls and the feedlots will readily buy them because they have learned it can be profitable if fed correctly. Some feedlots in dairy country specialize in this.
These crossbred calves sell well at OKC if you have a large enough quantity of them. You aren't fooling any buyers up there. They know if bought right and fed right, they can be as profitable as any. I would imagine the Char crossed LH could be done the same way. Maybe the buyer in Dave's story knew what he was doing.
The buyers quit paying the ranchers as much for them. So the rancher now ships them to early pasture in California and then to Wyoming. They come off the pasture much bigger than most feedlots want them (1,000 pounds+). They retain ownership, feed for a short time, not going for choice, just feeding for select. But with the cheap gains on grass it works for them.

I have a few longhorns and have learned that if the cow is solid color or big spots you can normally get a solid color calf from Charolsis, Simmental, or Angus. One i bought last year bred to a Limousin also has a solid red calf. But if the spots are small i cant seem to breed the spots off the calf.
IMG_3385.jpeg
This is what we usually get with our char cross on 2 solid red lh. Make good burger meat and cows never get worked and eat a lot less. We only keep 3 though finest, market will kill you

Latest posts