Building a Longhorn Herd

Help Support CattleToday:

Welcome to the forum! Ignore the crabby burno. Longhorns do have their place in the beef industry. I manages a Facebook group involving Corrientes and Longhorns in crossbreeding programs. You could be surprised about how the crossbreds do well as long as you use a right bull on these horned cows.
What is the name of the FB group?

The market on real good horses here has got ridiculous. A good been there done that ranch horse will bring $10,000. Solid rope horses..... you need to take out a mortgage on the house. Loose horses at the cow sale are $300-$800.
Mules is what crazy priced here!!
People paying more for a yearling than an automobile.
If it's saddle broke then the price goes to the stratosphere.
I know two breeders they have long waiting list from all over the country.

I like you, you're a jackazz at times but I like how you always talk it straight.
Thank you. You do know that street is two way.
I have owned some fine quarter horse bloodlines in the country.
My job in HS was taking care of about forty mares for a large breeder. I have no clue what Mr Wiggins was worth, I know people traveled across the country to buy from him.
Mr Wiggins gave me some foals I couldn't have afforded in this lifetime.

Some things are about the principle in life. I want to know if they would sell somebody one of those $2,500 calves specifically so they could eat it.
The answer is NO. We have never in over 20 years of breeding registered Texas Longhorns ever sold them for meat and never will. Our steers are either trained in performance to ride as Saddle Steers or are valued as Trophy Steers. Either way, they live a long and happy life as most Texas Longhorns live well into her 20s.

Some neighbors to the west have several hundred(s) of longhorn cows. They breed them to Charolais. Makes a nice looking 500-600 pound calf. The trouble is when you sell that big of numbers the feedlots figure out your program. Those calves look great at weaning but just don't preform in the feedlot or on the rail. Thus the feedlots cut back on what they are willing to pay. They had to come up with a different plan for these calves to stay in the black. They stopped selling as weaned calves. I notice there are more beef breed cows showing up on their place.

Some neighbors to the west have several hundred(s) of longhorn cows. They breed them to Charolais. Makes a nice looking 500-600 pound calf. The trouble is when you sell that big of numbers the feedlots figure out your program. Those calves look great at weaning but just don't preform in the feedlot or on the rail. Thus the feedlots cut back on what they are willing to pay. They had to come up with a different plan for these calves to stay in the black. They stopped selling as weaned calves. I notice there are more beef breed cows showing up on their place.
Now they have a reputation, also, so even if they do change their ways it will probably still haunt them.

I CONSIDER LH BEEF CATTLE. LETS DO THIS!🫵 😄

By definition it is beef no matter what any on one breed or association propaganda says. It may not be what you choose to eat but I can assure there are plenty of people who would be greatful to have LH beef.

Last edited:
If Longhorns have a place in the beef industry then why are there not any Longhorn based composites?
everything has a place in the market if there are buyers that want the product whether it's cattle horses, cars or anything. The product may not fit your demands but that's ok because they fit someone elses. Value is perceived. Never forget there's a multi-millionaire that change the color of pipe insulation and called it a pool noodle that did very well finding a market no one thought existed

I have always thought it would be cool to have a Longhorn on the farm, because of the horns. I look at those horns, and nope I don't want to deal with those.

I have always thought it would be cool to have a Longhorn on the farm, because of the horns. I look at those horns, and nope I don't want to deal with those.
Most of them aren't like that. The ones that have those huge spreads, are the 4 and 5 figure priced ones, bred for those horns. Like the poster on here that sells the $2500 calves. And those huge horns are usually on old steers. LHs with 3 foot spreads, are the ones you can buy for about what you can Corriente. And their horns aren't a whole lot bigger or wider tha Corrientes.

Latest posts