bucking bull breeds

Help Support CattleToday:

Weren't they Gelbvieh bulls? Named something like Pete and Repeat. They weren't terrible terrible rank but would buck a guy off who wasn't sitting in the middle.

Dave":26yzylf2 said:
Weren't they Gelbvieh bulls? Named something like Pete and Repeat. They weren't terrible terrible rank but would buck a guy off who wasn't sitting in the middle.
That's my recollection of their names. And yes sorry guppy=gelbvieh around here.

There's all sorts of breeds in there, probably every breed. There's a ton of money out there, too. But you have to have the right last name, and the right brand on your cattle to get looked at. Then there's the one guy that decides which bulls get to go to the top level, and he's, well....I can't say what I really think b/c the 'be nice' will appear. The guys that win the ABBI every year do have a ton of great cattle, but they are also on the board of directors. Years ago, there was a competition where steroids were found in the top 5 bulls. Rumor was that the president and some board members were involved but the names never came out. After that they 'changed the rules' to increase testing and release names, but things never changed. I also took one to an event once and saw the board member's bulls penned together when there was a specific rule stating each bull competing had to be in his separate pen, no buddy bulls allowed. I didn't have my phone on me so I couldn't take a picture to document it. Biggest mistake I've ever made. :bang: It was after that event that I sold everything I had and got out.

TexasBred":2zdpwe1j said:
Google Jackie Ratjen. He's my friend that raises some pretty darn good bucking stock down this way.

Jackie's a very standup guy that doesn't get the attention he deserves. He's got a heck of a program, but he doesn't haul like some of the other guys do. But he sure has raised some superstars, and Bushwhacker's dam is out of Diamond's Ghost that Jackie raised. Bushwhacker is probably the best bull that ever was.

My son's, not mine. Born yesterday. His Papaw came and checked him out of school when it was born. Son took the pic, and sent it to me. I haven't seen the calf. Cow was partial to it, and sent em back to the truck. We've looked for the calf off, and on all day, and haven't found it. I believe the cow has been sucked, so I'm not super concerned. I'm hoping she's just hid it good. Anyway, it's a bull calf, definatly with horns. He don't look like a man eater to me. The lineage is a little questionable, so we're just going back one generation with ABBI to register it. Be a long long time, before we can do anything with it.

I guess all dreams start somewhere, but helping him get a bull calf on the ground has been a drudgery. He even bought a bucking bred cow, that I ended up trading him out of, because of a run of bad luck.

A couple of people on the board, contributed with info. I appreciate their help.

I wonder if the bulls are getting too good. I watch the 15 best riders go at it and often only one or two get to 8 seconds. Maybe we need to have a breeding program for riders. Or change scoring so get some points even if don't get to 8 seconds.

Stone Sober:
stonesober.png

Bestoutwest":bqr7crfu said:
TexasBred":bqr7crfu said:
Google Jackie Ratjen. He's my friend that raises some pretty darn good bucking stock down this way.

Jackie's a very standup guy that doesn't get the attention he deserves. He's got a heck of a program, but he doesn't haul like some of the other guys do. But he sure has raised some superstars, and Bushwhacker's dam is out of Diamond's Ghost that Jackie raised. Bushwhacker is probably the best bull that ever was.
100% gentleman !!!

Bigfoot":34x8p4rf said:
Just throwing this out there. I have researched it all quit a bit. IMHO, the ability to buck is not a highly inheritable trait.

I don't know much about bucking bulls, but I grew up near where Bodacious was raised. I may be wrong, but I don't recall another big time bull coming from that herd so I'd be inclined to believe that.

Commercialfarmer":3e440rsz said:
Bigfoot":3e440rsz said:
Just throwing this out there. I have researched it all quit a bit. IMHO, the ability to buck is not a highly inheritable trait.

I don't know much about bucking bulls, but I grew up near where Bodacious was raised. I may be wrong, but I don't recall another big time bull coming from that herd so I'd be inclined to believe that.
They'll all buck a little and work for small time local rodeos but probably less than .1% of the bulls raised for bucking ever make it to the PBR level and stay there any length of time.

TexasBred":2vzdmzvd said:
Bestoutwest":2vzdmzvd said:
TexasBred":2vzdmzvd said:

100% gentleman !!!

Is Jackie Dick's brother? I know he had a brother Jack. I knew DIck the best. As a kid who followed his Dad to rodeos in the Panhandle during the early 60's I remember Tom Harlan raising bulls and having some very good stock. Then Charlie Plummer got his start with Harlan cows and several of the PBR bulls today go back to Plummer cows. D&H started with some cows that went back to the original Plummer bloodlines. I've heard whether bucking is inherited or not debated a bunch. All I know is that Plummer always had spotted bulls that bucked and would hook you. He would put on the LBR rodeos in KS and the OK Panhandle and buck his young bulls. It was uncommon to not see one rode. If you rode one you knew you were likely going to place. I knew the Ratjen's raised bulls and continues to do so. I was never sure where they got there start but I have seen some good ones they raised also. Those are the three men who I remember raising bulls in the past that had good success doing it.

elkwc":vf2wbldk said:
Is Jackie Dick's brother? I know he had a brother Jack. I knew DIck the best. As a kid who followed his Dad to rodeos in the Panhandle during the early 60's I remember Tom Harlan raising bulls and having some very good stock. Then Charlie Plummer got his start with Harlan cows and several of the PBR bulls today go back to Plummer cows. D&H started with some cows that went back to the original Plummer bloodlines. I've heard whether bucking is inherited or not debated a bunch. All I know is that Plummer always had spotted bulls that bucked and would hook you. He would put on the LBR rodeos in KS and the OK Panhandle and buck his young bulls. It was uncommon to not see one rode. If you rode one you knew you were likely going to place. I knew the Ratjen's raised bulls and continues to do so. I was never sure where they got there start but I have seen some good ones they raised also. Those are the three men who I remember raising bulls in the past that had good success doing it.

Elk I never knew him but Jackie got his start with his dad who raised bucking bulls all his life as well.

Commercialfarmer":28z3irev said:

The story that I heard on him is that he was a commercial beef bull that was headed for slaughter and was bought by someone to use in high school rodeos. He sucked and was about to get canned and then a kid hung up on him. After that night he was a different animal, and as they say, the rest is history.

TexasBred":28z3irev said:
Commercialfarmer":28z3irev said:
Bigfoot":28z3irev said:

They'll all buck a little and work for small time local rodeos but probably less than .1% of the bulls raised for bucking ever make it to the PBR level and stay there any length of time.

That's not necessarily true. I have seen papered up bulls that should buck their tails off actually run across the pen and then I've seen bulls that are out of a commercial cow with a PBR bull as a sire just go out and buck like a monster. The trait is inheritable in as much as you have a better chance to get a bucking bull out of pedigreed parents than if you were to buy a beef bull and expect something special. However, there's always anecdotal evidence that says otherwise, but that's like buying coal hoping to find a diamond. I'm not sure what the percentage is on born bulls and those making it to the PBR. It's a very political game that keeps a decent amount of good bulls on the local circuit. There's one guy that decides who gets to bring bulls to the top division, so you upset him forget ever getting a call, no matter how good your bull is.

elkwc said:
TexasBred said:
D&H started with some cows that went back to the original Plummer bloodlines.
From Lynn Rice? For awhile they were buying bulls (early 2000's) and then they were raising a lot of their own stuff. That's all they do now, and pretty much supply everyone else, for that matter. They've pretty much cornered the market on the bucking bull world, and quite the tight grip on it.

Congrats on getting a bull BF hope he bucks.

I wonder when you figure in all the cost of the cows and raising bulls and the percentage that don't work out would it just be cheaper to go to a bucking sale and buy them.

Latest posts