bucking bull breeds

Help Support CattleToday:

Hick

Reaction score
what cattle breeds they use for rodeo and bucking bulls......are they just longhorns and brahams?

You see a little of everything. My understanding is that a high percentage of longhorn is not a good thing. I have some calves coming the end of this month that are supposed to be bred to buck.

Longhorn, Spanish fighting and Brahman are three main breeds in the mix but there are more breeds in the mix so basically they're just mongrels. Occasionally you may find a bison cross or a yak cross being used from time to time. Here, the rookie/junior/female rider bulls are usually a highland or a highland cross.

what are some other breeds that have bin cross with longhorns ,brahams ,and Spanish fighting.....is there any beef breeds or any breeds that have bin cross

Many of them appear to be BrafordX. Some Charbray and the black ones could be any number of beef breeds now a days.

Mine will be-------Charlois, Santa Gertudis, longhorn, brahma, Hereford. It'd be a good guess everybodies is mixed up like that. If you seen one of mine at a year old, it'd be anybody's guess what's in em.

White Parks, Watusi and British White are often used to add more colors. Sometimes they will throw a belted one in the mix for just giggles and sh!t. I've seen few BrahmousinX and few polled black ones.

From what I hear on TV it's big business and money involved
Proven bucking bulls bred to cows with bucking bull lineage.
Lots of retired bull riders raising buls like JW Hart, LJ Jennings Jerome Davis come to mind, then guys like Cody Ohl and pro football players like Jared Allen
Hall of fame bull fighter Rob smets has got a real good one

Lots of cows ai'd to proven bulls and I've heard of prospects bringing 50k
They said on the PBR thar Asteroid was just sold but didn't mention the price but I bet it's shocking

Just throwing this out there. I have researched it all quit a bit. IMHO, the ability to buck is not a highly inheritable trait. Some Bulls like white sports coat seem to pass it along, but not all do. There also seems to be a lot of homecooking in the area of breaking in to bucking. And, one would expect that with anything. Also, any cow can be registered with the ABBI. It just want have a lineage. So in theory, anybody with a cow, and a straw of semen could get started (and are).

Bigfoot":2dzgxrl8 said:
Just throwing this out there. I have researched it all quit a bit. IMHO, the ability to buck is not a highly inheritable trait. Some Bulls like white sports coat seem to pass it along, but not all do. There also seems to be a lot of homecooking in the area of breaking in to bucking. And, one would expect that with anything. Also, any cow can be registered with the ABBI. It just want have a lineage. So in theory, anybody with a cow, and a straw of semen could get started (and are).
Have a friend in the business as was his father. Both very successful. He raises about a hundred a year and hopes for one good one that one of the really big guys will pay big money for. Most all have brahman influence and then you can thow in the charolais, herefords etc. for crosses.

TexasBred":3ftutr56 said:
Bigfoot":3ftutr56 said:
Have a friend in the business as was his father. Both very successful. He raises about a hundred a year and hopes for one good one that one of the really big guys will pay big money for. Most all have brahman influence and then you can thow in the charolais, herefords etc. for crosses.

Ty Murray was telling a story the other night during the pbr on TV
I don't remember the number but his uncle bought a bunch seems like maybe 500 bulls out of feedyards one year and never got one that was good enough to use as a bucking bull

I don't think anyone knows what is in the wood pile. I know they use Char, Brangus red and black, Brafords, Brahma, Sim, Watusi, LH, fighting bulls. It is an art and very expensive they put those bulls on a special diet and work them out. Some bulls are good about passing down their bucking ability and some ain't. Bo has some good sons but none as good as him. Reindeer has sons that are a lot greater than him like Bushwacker. Playboy has some good sons. Mudslinger has a few sons but no where on his level. Yellow Jacket and his sons have produced some good offspring. If I was to buy semen I think it would be Reindeer or Yellow Jacket. Watching the PBR I see bulls who have part of their sires name so I can kinda tell who comes from who.

Cross-7":2c536wgz said:
TexasBred":2c536wgz said:
Bigfoot":2c536wgz said:

Ty Murray was telling a story the other night during the pbr on TV
I don't remember the number but his uncle bought a bunch seems like maybe 500 bulls out of feedyards one year and never got one that was good enough to use as a bucking bull

Yessir...takes an exceptional animal to get to that level and stay there.

Bigfoot":3utmfmja said:
If I'm not mistaken, you can buy Bodacious semen for $300.

I thought with him being dead it would be higher. He also has over 20 son with professional outs. To me the value in Bo has always been his daughters who have produced some pretty good buckers.

Been told that pure Brahman get to mad to buck, they just sull...but the cross's...old friend worked at a local stockyard would buy bulls there, bring em home and buck em out, the buckers stayed and the others he rerun back through the stockyard...those bulls were about every beef breed..,

I've seen good bucking bulls come from everywhere. As I kid I remember a stock contractor who while his dad was away bucked out his registered angus bulls he had for sale. One smaller bull really bucked. He was one of the top bulls in this area for several years. I remember when a several of the rodeos would round up the bulls from area ranchers and buck them at the local rodeos. Several top bulls came from doing this. You never know where you will find a bucker. The first contractor I knew who bred for bucking bulls and had success was Charlie Plummer from Sayre, OK. He got his start from a contractor in the TX Panhandle. You still see some of his bloodlines even in the PBR bulls. His son still raises bulls. Most of those I've known who either raised or developed bucking bulls wanted no more than a 1/4 Brahma. I've seen many breeds and crosses through the years. Some liked a little Charloais. They claimed it added some athletism. It is like raising beef cattle each breeder or developer has a little different idea of what works best.

One of my dad's customer has a son that did A.I few dairy cows with Yellow Jacket semen few years ago. Great females, but the sons do OK. Then there's mini bucking bulls.....

We have few strong rodeo communities here, they bred their bucking bulls to local cows of any breeds as its cheaper that way than buying females from bucking stock.

As long as it bucks good, they didn't care about what breed he is.

Stock contractor I worked for years ago would buy odd ball two year old bulls and try them out. He had a string of bulls that bucked like wolves. It was common to have only 2 or 3 bulls rode over a weekend at one of his rodeos. There wasn't a lot of brahma influence in his bulls but there was a lot o char cross bulls. He sold out everything to an outfit in Oklahoma. I remember hearing back that the bulls didn't hold up very well. Maybe the heat in the summer? But I know there were horses from that string going to the NFR several years later.
Speaking of bucking horses. Calgary Stampede has been breeding bucking horses for years. Any discussion about horses that buck has to include the ones from Calgary.

Latest posts