Brown Swiss/Brangus

Help Support CattleToday:

Red Bull Breeder":40w9i9qz said:
Hey TB put you reading glasses on,I said them great black baldies. And them great black baldies is why i don't got no use for them now.
Sorry old feller. :lol2: :lol2:

TexasBred":txqa7w55 said:
ANAZAZI":txqa7w55 said:
Old saying about Brown Swiss: "milks like a Jersey - eats like a Holstein".
Pretty darn true except I think they can out eat a holstein.
That has always been my experience with them. There was one that I thought had some promise but you could stand there and watch her sort feed like no other cow I've ever seen and she was still only average for the herd(which wasn't much) but they were sure proud of her...

Lucky P, I know nothing about brown swiss cattle, but there is definitely no sucking problem with Braunvieh. Finishing out my second crop of braunvieh and bruanvieh cross calves now. The most impressive calves so far are the braunvieh X charolais. I several heifers of this cross that should calf in the fall. They are hereford bred and hoping for some yellow white face calves. Purchased my first Black angus bull and plan to run him on the braunvieh, and cross bred heifers.

We had no additude or calving issues with our Braunvieh bull. But, every bred can have a bad one now and then. I love the bruanvieh bred, but I kinda like the cross bred better.

brimmer X":1bwrr20c said:
Lucky P, I know nothing about brown swiss cattle, but there is definitely no sucking problem with Braunvieh. Finishing out my second crop of braunvieh and bruanvieh cross calves now. The most impressive calves so far are the braunvieh X charolais. I several heifers of this cross that should calf in the fall. They are hereford bred and hoping for some yellow white face calves. Purchased my first Black angus bull and plan to run him on the braunvieh, and cross bred heifers.

We had no additude or calving issues with our Braunvieh bull. But, every bred can have a bad one now and then. I love the bruanvieh bred, but I kinda like the cross bred better.

You may get some goofy colored calves out of that cross just to fore warn you. We had a CharxBraunvieh bull we ran on our charolais cows and when he bred some of our black baldy or red cows we got tigerstripes and brindles and all sorts of funky stuff.

thanxs brimmer -
Have always liked what I've seen of the Braunvieh - and had never heard any negative comments about calf survivability or being slow on the uptake.

Still have a hankering to make some halfblood calves - to see how the steers stack up and how the halfblood heifers perform as mamas.

Latest posts