Brown Ranch Red Angus ?

Help Support CattleToday:

I have never owned or used a RA Brown bull but one of these days I would love to have a Red Angus or SimAngus from them. One of my daughters (she is in the beef business now) spent a week there while she was at A&M and she was very impressed.
I know their bulls are raised right, they keep extensive records and do DNA Enhanced testing on every bull they sell.
It seems like every sale they have there are more Red Angus than the other breeds.

Through the years we've used a number of their RA bulls. The calves have always lived, sold or slaughtered to our expectation. But like all large breeders, you have to balance the bull to the cow. Do that long enough and it gets to be less critical.

A cooperator of theirs is having a sale every spring about 15 miles from us. Their first one was last year. Then had a fall female sale. I have seen their cattle and went through the sale bulls last year. I think somewhere between 2-3 hundred but not sure. I marked down about a dozen RA bulls, 5-6 angus bulls and 1 SA bull. None of them that I marked brought less than 6 and most over 8 so didn't get any. I bought a couple of commercial heifers from them. They were Bieber and Brown breeding. They have their first calves on them now. They are ok but at this point not outstanding. Will be able to tell more after the next calf. I've seen some nice bulls of their breeding. Very few it seemed sold local. Also the bulls in this sale were carrying more condition/fat than I desire on a bull to bring home and turn out. I've seen some RA cattle that I like as well and maybe better than the average Brown bred cattle I've seen. Again good cattle and I might buy a bull of their breeding if I can find one priced in my range.

dun":3bgykklo said:
Through the years we've used a number of their RA bulls. The calves have always lived, sold or slaughtered to our expectation. But like all large breeders, you have to balance the bull to the cow. Do that long enough and it gets to be less critical.

I can not justify the price of bulls from some of these rep ranches.
Did you buy semen direct?

Stocker Steve":29dm80xg said:
dun":29dm80xg said:

I can not justify the price of bulls from some of these rep ranches.
Did you buy semen direct?
We get our semen from the regular studs. ABS, Genex, Accelerated, Select Sires

Latest posts