Broadcasting corn

Help Support CattleToday:

ChrisB":2lnf9nwv said:
I must really be doing something wrong if it is only supposed to take 50 minutes to plant 15 acres with a 4 row planter. Maybe I just need bigger seed and fertilizer boxes, and then shift up a couple gears? I drive way faster cutting hay than planting and I can't cover ground that quick.

with a four row old JD 71 you can cover some ground in a hurry for just a deer plot --- 15 acres and mebbe you need to look at those gears a lil closer there is more than one there and I guarantee if you had your ground worked ---conventionally and ready to go I can cover a measly 15 acres in 50 minutes for a deer plot -- not my problem you cant.. I could give you some lessons

1982vett":tccuujyw said:
Maybe rig it with a GPS, might take 50 minutes to get her set up going in a circle. When she gets to the middle have it shut the tractor off. Piece of cake. ;-) :lol:
Actually for a small acreage like that for a deer plot you could get an airplane to do it in 10 minutes that way you wouldnt even have to get out of bed to endure that awesome task of hooking up a 3 pt hitch tool bar to your 2 point hitch Super A farmall-- there is an idea to run with............

Stocker Steve":5zscjg6m said:
ChrisB":5zscjg6m said:
I must really be doing something wrong if it is only supposed to take 50 minutes to plant 15 acres with a 4 row planter. Maybe I just need bigger seed and fertilizer boxes, and then shift up a couple gears? I drive way faster cutting hay than planting and I can't cover ground that quick.

You must not be a top hand :(
yeah it is Lonely at the TOP

Angus Cowman":1kq5xu1w said:
1982vett":1kq5xu1w said:
Maybe rig it with a GPS, might take 50 minutes to get her set up going in a circle. When she gets to the middle have it shut the tractor off. Piece of cake. ;-) :lol:
do ya just leave the tractor and planter there til next yr or what
I can see you boys dont do any winter equipment prep for planting season and spend those short winter days feeding cows and hanging out down at the country store-- mebbe a lil planning for spring work would be beneficial?
Mebbe your equipment is not working optimally and you have to spend an hour planting 3 acres

No wonder you are going broke...
Good Luck

Well I am not a top hand and I have never managed to seed anything down at the rate of 15 acres an hour unless pulling a 60/12 Concord air seeder - but I do know what you can broadcast that deer like.

Well boys --- looks like you are just slower planting or your equipment is just mediocre or something, but in 2008 I planted this way on 400 acres of corn and averaged 120 bushels per acre on dry land ---course it was a good year for us and we got the rain when we needed it and 15 acres is like nothing to plant---- no need to waste the whole day on 15 acres unless you only have 20.

I would perhaps give you some corn planting lessons if you think it would help you turn a few more acres a week

let me know
T
and yes it is Lonely at the TOP

Okay Ace,

1 acre = 43,560 sq.ft.; at least here in Minnesota, not sure about Alabama. So 15 Acres = 653,400 sf. A 4 row 30" planter covers 10', so going 3 mph (number you used, I go faster) you can cover 158,400 sf. per hour. So 15 acres is going to take a minimum of 4 hours. That's straight driving time, no turning around on each end of the field, and no stopping and filling seed and fertalizer boxes. In all reality planting 15 acres of corn with a 4 row planter is probably going to take closer to 6 hours.

Not trying to be a jerk about it. I'm guessing you just misunderstood your dad when you overheard him talking to some other adults about planting speed. Not a big deal. Have a nice Christmas.

The following is from a an IL corn farmer:

It's going to depend but figure 5 mph x width of planter (10' for 30" rows or 12' for 36" rows) x 5280 (ft/mile) divided by 43560 (sq ft/acre). I also always figured that I was only running about 50 minutes per hr because of checking it, filling it, taking a leak, or whatever. So ... 5 x 12 x 5280 / 43560 = 7.2. 7.2 / 60 x 50 = 6.0 acres / hr.

ChrisB":1ro36clt said:
Okay Ace,

1 acre = 43,560 sq.ft.; at least here in Minnesota, not sure about Alabama. So 15 Acres = 653,400 sf. A 4 row 30" planter covers 10', so going 3 mph (number you used, I go faster) you can cover 158,400 sf. per hour. So 15 acres is going to take a minimum of 4 hours. That's straight driving time, no turning around on each end of the field, and no stopping and filling seed and fertalizer boxes. In all reality planting 15 acres of corn with a 4 row planter is probably going to take closer to 6 hours.

Not trying to be a jerk about it. I'm guessing you just misunderstood your dad when you overheard him talking to some other adults about planting speed. Not a big deal. Have a nice Christmas.

Hey Chris, maybe we are all idiots to be thinking conventional. If you just left 50 foot open strips between rounds, I mean it is deer corn, wouldn't that make it easier to blast them? :)

I'm one of the slow guys, plant with a old international 4 row air. Takes me a couple days to do a 80. That includes some replanting. :oops: :help:

I think broadcasting corn using herbicide and fertilizer will make deer food. As far as I know other then experimentation, Corn is only planted in rows as far as trying to raise a profitable crop.

Soybeans on the other hand are now almost all drill seeded.

mnmtranching":y5b6o181 said:
I'm one of the slow guys, plant with a old international 4 row air. Takes me a couple days to do a 80. That includes some replanting. :oops: :help:

I think broadcasting corn using herbicide and fertilizer will make deer food. As far as I know other then experimentation, Corn is only planted in rows as far as trying to raise a profitable crop.

Soybeans on the other hand are now almost all drill seeded.

Planted a couple of areas with beans doing the disk broadcast drag and roll deal. Maybe one plant per acre came up. Now I notill drill them and they do fantastic. I planted a twining kind of haybean in one field and also planted milo and millet at the same time. The beans grew up the milo and the millet covered the gorund. Quail love the stuff.

One of the big problems with broadcasting is seed dept. No mater the crop, lots of the seeds will end up shallow. They sprout in the moist soil, get a windy warm day, the soil dries out down an inch or two, the new root is in dry soil the plant dies.

4CTophand":1p99mdat said:
ChrisB":1p99mdat said:

with a four row old JD 71 you can cover some ground in a hurry for just a deer plot --- 15 acres and mebbe you need to look at those gears a lil closer there is more than one there and I guarantee if you had your ground worked ---conventionally and ready to go I can cover a measly 15 acres in 50 minutes for a deer plot -- not my problem you cant.. I could give you some lessons

Sounds like you're the one that needs a lesson. Seeing as how you're in the habit of making some pretty wild claims I thought I'd ask a friend of mine about this. He's been farming about 1400 acres of corn and beans for 35 years and his Dad did it for over 50 years before him. He says with a 16 row planter at 5-6 mph he can do about 20 acres an hour. When I told him you said you could do 15 acres in an hour with a 4 row he laughed and said you're flat out lying.

As I figure it, that planter has to be running at over 12 MPH. Speed is a big factor in proper seed placement and spacing. The faster the planter runs, the poorer job it does. That is with some of the most modern, up to date equipment made. 6.5 MPH on a new Kinze planter is plenty fast. We run closer to 4.5. Planters planting for yield contests often run at 3 MPH.
We are not in the highest yielding soils in the Midwest, but a yield of 120 bushels per acre is considered a pretty poor crop these days. Rather than boasting about it, most guys here would drop their heads and mumble a lot if asked about such a yield. I know yields and expectations vary greatly from area to area, but you still have to cover costs and hope to make a profit. Maybe if you slowed that planter down some.....? :idea:

Angus Cowman":1k8emhk4 said:
1982vett":1k8emhk4 said:
do ya just leave the tractor and planter there til next yr or what

Only if the corn is self shucking and kernels fall back into the planter.

Latest posts