British White pictures for Kathie

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross

Reaction score
"These are Kathie's cattle at Back-Acher Farm, Thorp, WA. British White cows and heifers, BA cross heifers, and BA cross steers (that will be finished for end Nov.), in no particular order."
DSCF2998.jpg

DSCF2995.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg

DSCF2990.jpg

DSCF2986.jpg

Nice cows Kathie. They are some roomie cows. Why are you starving them so bad?

3waycross":2j7xtos2 said:
Nice cows Kathie. They are some roomie cows. Why are you starving them so bad?
I just love spending money on hay in the winter, 3-Way! My neighbor (who's calves are sometimes born very early spring and stick to the frozen ground) call these "Kathie's Princess Cattle." Maybe they are . . . . :) They are good for my soul.

Nice looking animals Kathie! Alonng the lines of what 3way said,I wish you would feed those poor things they look so hungry!

Any Brithish White I've ever seen is very beefy and solid, good looking animal. I don't see many around these parts but there is at least one breeder within an hour of me because I've seen him at the livestock market with a bunch now and then.

I love the coloring of the black speckled one.

Katherine

Nice looking group you have there Kathie , all in top nik !

I can understand why walking through them would be so zen like, they look very calm tempered too. :wave:

Thank you Katherine and HD! The black/speckled is actually considered over-marked for the breed -- very over-marked. But I've always had a sweet spot for Appy horses, so when I found her, all other things considered, the color was just fine w/ me. She's the dam of the tiny white heifer, that is perfectly marked.

Few are "petting gentle," but none are crazy/goofy and easy to be around, after we butchered the Big Mammer Jammer bytch last year, who wanted to take you on every single day for no particular reason! Have 2 of 4 high percentage Bl. Angus heifers for sale -- we're just over-heifered right now, for our operation.

And on Mother's Day, I'll have new BW bloodlines coming in, with a cow/heifer calf pair from Montana.

Love the cattle! K

2/B or not 2/B":1rmp2u3p said:
Kathie, your cattle look content and well cared for. Very nice :D
They look fat and pampered, AND THEY ARE! But these are such easy-keeping cattle that it's hard to keep them slim/trim under normal conditions.

Nice cows, Kathie.

I too like the overmarked ones - more character.

I agree they are easy keepers. I am putting my BW heifer/cow on a diet. You would think with her having her second calf next month at age 28 months of age, she would be behind on condition. Haven't fed very good hay, either.

On pasture, I don't know how to put them on a diet, Dale! They still come up to the barn every night thinking we'll toss some hay for them (we don't). Grass won't be as lush soon, so that's how they'll diet, I guess. But . . . . hay is in the barn . . . . they won't get skinny.

Kathie in Thorp":2ynzacwu said:
2/B or not 2/B":2ynzacwu said:
Kathie, your cattle look content and well cared for. Very nice :D
They look fat and pampered, AND THEY ARE! But these are such easy-keeping cattle that it's hard to keep them slim/trim under normal conditions.

I'm not criticizing their body condition. Mine are fat as pigs, but there's wild rye, oats, vetch, clover, brome and filaree up to their chests right now. I figure the reserves help them get through the rest of the season, after it dries up and loses its nutrition. They'd make it through the winter but we choose to give them enough hay to keep them from getting thin. Yes, they get more inputs than the range cattle down the mountain from us. But those are the cattle I sometimes see laying dead in the pasture from a calving problem or an untended illness. One's been laying there for months, treating everyone to a slow motion slideshow of the progression from death to decay. Same cattle that regularly walk through the dilapidated fence to graze along the highway. I could go on and on, but the point is that the right amount of 'pampering' is not a bad thing at all!

2/B -- I'm pretty sure my cows are too fat ("does my butt make my tail look small?") The BW's generally have big body capacity, although they are not huge frame cattle. Truly, I'd keep them skinnier, if I could. They stay in good condition on grass hay through the winter; get over-conditioned on new grass; and they'll slim back down some in July/August when the pasture isn't so rich. Ya know, it's really hard to manage cattle that are so thrifty!

One more for Kathy this is the mother of the Red and Black twin heifers. As my buddy Vinnie would say she is one "Shyt Hot Cow"

MVC-649F.jpg

3waycross":1q02j095 said:
One more for Kathy this is the mother of the Red and Black twin heifers. As my buddy Vinnie would say she is one "Shyt Hot Cow"

MVC-649F.jpg
No . . . . but you're close 3Way. Didn't know you were going to post the pic I sent. But, anyway, this yellow cow is the mom of our 2011 twin heifers (one red; one yellow) with a pic of her new bull calf, BA-sired. The cow is at least 7/8 Bl. Angus. This yellow cow's red mother calved last at 23 yrs., last year. She tipped over dead a couple months ago, and a couple of months before her 2012 calf would have been born. We like her twin girls enough that we'll keep 'em -- they should be black, but they aren't. Love this cow!! Thanks, Vic!

Latest posts