Brisbane Ekka British breeds

Help Support CattleToday:

townfarmer

Reaction score
It's that time of the year again. The Ekka currently on in Brisbane. Here are a few of the British breeds that were on display.

Herefords

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0077-1.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

Red Angus

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

Black Angus

IMG_0185.jpg

Murray Greys

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

Shorthorn

IMG_0181.jpg

Speckle Park

IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

I'll make another thread for the bos inducis and continental breeds

Andrew

nice pic's andrew i really like the black angus and mg bulls and that was one thick simmi bull

angusdave63":1pyz4f0x said:
nice pic's andrew i really like the black angus and mg bulls and that was one thick simmi bull

Unfortunately I only had my phone on me when the angus were being shown and I found it impossible to get a decent photo of them in the bright sun. There were a lot of nice angus cattle there. The bull above is the only one I managed to get a half decent photo of.

Andrew

Very nice photos, always fun looking at how things are done elsewhere in the world. Pretty fancy hereford cow!

KNERSIE":15qobdu3 said:
Very nice photos, always fun looking at how things are done elsewhere in the world. Pretty fancy hereford cow!

I'm really curious to know what you mean by "pretty fancy" Knersie. The hereford cows there were all beautiful big volume animals. It was interesting though in the prep area; the hereford cows were getting organised next to some Devon and Lincoln Red cows. Compared to those other heritage british breeds the Herefords looked like elephants. It struck me that a hereford cow would have looked like similar in style to those other cows once upon a time.

Andrew

Loosely interpret it as a nice, showy animal of good quality.

The said cow is by no means extreme in size and is pretty much where the breed were before they tried to make them into ponies in the '50s and '60s followed by the quest to make them into racehorses for the next 30 years losing market share at a jolly pace.

Typically the North Devon and Lincolnshire reds are slightly shorter than the Hereford and the South Devon quite a bit bigger, but you are right in saying traditionally there wasn't (and shouldn't) be much of a difference in size between the heritage British breeds.

Keren":3te6momj said:
Ah, just found this one! Lovely cattle, nice to see the greys looking good. Do you know who that cow is? I really like her

Hi Keren

That cow is Baroona Park Sarah sired by Monteray Sundowner. Baroona Park is a stud near Toowoomba. Nice cattle but generally on the bigger side for my tastes.

Andrew

Keren":3b0g9ajk said:
Ah, just found this one! Lovely cattle, nice to see the greys looking good. Do you know who that cow is? I really like her

I think I must now be a Square meaters person as I liked all the Murray grey that looked like square meaters. Like this guy below. It's a poor photo but he looked good walking around the ring. I reckin he'd make some nice vealers and led steers.

IMG_0579.jpg

Here are a couple of the actual square meaters

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0605-1.jpg

Andrew

I really like that 1st Murray Gray bull. Wonder why they can't seem to raise them that good over here?

Didn't care for the Red Angus specimens too much.

Is it just me or do the back feet seem to have too much trimming?

Latest posts