British White X Hereford

Help Support CattleToday:

sassafras manor

Reaction score
Our herd is primarily Angus with a couple Hereford and one British white cow in the mix. We have always used angus bulls but was thinking of picking up a nice-looking Hereford bull. I was curious what you guys thought a Hereford X British White calf would look like. The calves from the British White cow bred to Angus have been as follows: 2 solid black, 1 black with white brisket to udder and 2 British white. Her calves have always weaned the heaviest of the herd.

British Whites milk heavy and have a dominate color scheme. My guess it your is that yours is a cross if you are getting some all black calves. If she is a b&w BW - - then I would guess a bwf Herford X calf.

We have crossed BW cows with "solid" black Simi. Most calves have some white spots on them, and are some of the biggest.

She will give you a black baldy or skunktail with white face or even a British white with big spots. Had a buddy that done this cross. They're good calves but not a single calf that looks like identical..

I've had a few hereford x reg british white calves... black nose and ears, wide white stripe down back and tail with
black sides, white legs and white face, but not a white head. As Muddy said most color patterns are in the mix, even
from the same bull and cow from one year to the next, solid white, speckled or white back stripe with black sides.

If I didn't get hit at the sale barn on the white hide I would have a whole herd of British Whites. Her heifer calf this past spring was literally the last calf born of the season and outweighed the next the heaviest steer by 50 lb.

British whites are pretty good cattle but they produce unpredictable colors in the calves when you crossbreeding them. Best bull to cross with the British whites would be a Charolais.

Latest posts