Breeding service?

Help Support CattleToday:

sidney411

Reaction score
How much would you charge for a man to bring his 3 cows to your pasture to be bred by your bull? It's one of our neighbors and I was going to lease him a young bull but ended up selling him instead. I don't want to take my herd bull over to his place because I've got new calves and don't want him to miss the cows. I know his cows are current on all shots because we gave then their shots in our pens, and they've only been A.I.ed in the past. I'm going to give them each a lut shot and a patch and turn them out, so they will probably only be here for about a month. We've got plenty of grass, some is knee high, I could actually use a few more cows right now.

To be honest, if he was a good friend - I don't think I'd charge him at all. Unless of course you've got a $25,000 bull which is a little different. Maybe just do a trade - maybe some help in the hay field this summer?

If you have plenty of grass, then dinner isnt a issue.
So I would give him the "feed costs" of keeping the girls up.
After that, I would just chage what it would cost to AI the three girls. Around 35 each.
Its a good deal for everyone. The bull (most likey) will not miss, no time off work for a timed breed, no being charged for the AI tech to come out, no cidrs no drugs other than lute.

Thats how I would do it.

MD

When we were starting out we didn't have a bull. We paid $50 for the bull to service the cow and then $2 a day for feed and we paid for any meds they gave the cow.

When the bull came here, we paid $50 per cow.

We didn't have but a handful of cows then. Once we got more we bought a bull.

I would charge him a daily feed charge otherwise you may have those cows for a very long time. You never know people until money is involved. Have an understanding on when he is expected to pick them up. A Date. Then charge what you feel is right for the breeding.

If he does you right on it this time then you could always adjust the price later.

Remember you will probably be liable if something were to happen to those cows while in your care. That is one of the things I didn't like about using someone else's bull. They told us if anything happens to him you will have bought him. That was right in my eyes except I always wondered if that included something beyond our control such as him having a heart attack or something like that. We decided it was better to get more cows and our own bull.

That's on the lines I was thinking. There won't be any feed cost, our girls only get grass and an occasional bag of cubs to keep them coming when I call. Thanks!

If he was a close friend then I would charge nathing, But if its different tell him for a trade you get one of the 3 Calves or help around the ranch for at a certain time

Charge him enough so it will not become a habit. You do not want to end up running his breeding program for him. You need to give him the will to buy his own bull or get them AI'd. One time, OK, but you are opening a door.

sidney411":2epagltz said:
That's on the lines I was thinking. There won't be any feed cost, our girls only get grass and an occasional bag of cubs to keep them coming when I call. Thanks!

Charge him a daily pasture fee. The point is that you don't want him leaving his cows there for a long time. If you don't charge him a daily fee he may never come and pick them up. You would be suprised how people will do you.

Always charge fo bull service. Pasture has a $ value for grass.

We charge $50 per female bred plus $3.50 a day per female full care boarding which includes pasture, water, mineral, hay in their pen, and includes 1-2 X a day monitoring of them.

With hay costs way up, etc., you can't afford to offer free room and board plus "special services".

We also require that all vaccinations and de-worming be current, PLUS the females been vaccinated for Lepto & Vibrio prior to unloading here. Additionally we have a Breeding Agreement they sign, which spells stuff out in detail. We recommend the customer leave his/her female(s) here for 2 heat cycles which usually turns out to be 4-6 weeks, depending on what stage the female(s) was(were) in when they were delivered.

Horticattleman":15rf9olo said:
Couple of cases of beer

That and a Sunday dinner or a BBQ would get this type of neighbour a couple months on my grass for such a small number of animals.

Bez>

novatech":1pxxtpuv said:
Charge him enough so it will not become a habit. You do not want to end up running his breeding program for him. You need to give him the will to buy his own bull or get them AI'd. One time, OK, but you are opening a door.

I agree, I am a very helpful neighbour, but you often get people pleading ignorance while in the meantime taking advantage of your helpfullness. Help someone to help himself, give good advice on how to prevent the scenario so that he needed help in the first place. After that they must help themselves.

You never know people until money is involved.

Even your best friends may well be a nasty surprize as soon as money is involved

We have agreed on $100 per cow. They will stay for +/- 45 days. We ran them through yesterday, gave them their shots, worming, lut and k-mars. He's happy - we're happy. I guess that's what matters. Thanks ya'll.

RAB - if you don't mind could you send me a copy of your breeding contract for future use? I'd sure appreciate it, so I could have my bases covered.

I agree with all of the suggestions above.

HOWEVER.....

I caught the tail end of a documentary type show the other night I believe on RFD, about Bovine STD's. Despite the fact that I grew up in and am currently working in the cattle industry the show scared the "be nice" out of me.

So I would add a word of caution; there are diseases out there that you could bring into your herd that will simply put you out of the cattle business.

Just something to think about.

sainty01":2j79tvxq said:
I agree with all of the suggestions above.

HOWEVER.....

I caught the tail end of a documentary type show the other night I believe on RFD, about Bovine STD's. Despite the fact that I grew up in and am currently working in the cattle industry the show scared the "be nice" out of me.

So I would add a word of caution; there are diseases out there that you could bring into your herd that will simply put you out of the cattle business.

Just something to think about.

Agree! The STD's can be a real problem with bringing in outside animals to breed one's animals. IMO people that either don't have their own bull or do A.I., are looking for a cheap way to get their females pregnant. By the same token some don't bother with proper vaccinations.

When we "contract" to breed another's females, they must submit written proof of vaccinations and de-worming as well as Brucellosis and TB negative. With our TAHC certified herd, we do not take chances and either a customer complies with our requirements or they can go elsewhere.

Additionally, it costs money to feed, maintain, and manage animals. We do not provide a free service to anyone...there are always people out there that are looking for a free ride...

Latest posts