Breeding seasons / Bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

machslammer

Reaction score
Well,
Up until now, I run a year round bull in operation. I only run 15-16 cows at any one time. I am thinking about switching to a closer calving spring and fall, or attempting to get to a spring or fall only. I would rather run a 60 day calving window and was curious to if you guys think calving seasons would be worth it with 15-16 cows, and would you try to get all calving together or 2X yr split 60 day windows? Right now I have 7 springs and 9 summer/falls. Would def like it tightened up. I hate having 1-2 a month and then trying to sell is a PIA as well.

Secondly, when I pull my bull we have about a 3-4 acre pen that my dad's 2 bulls would also be in. Would they be ok all together, without cows in with them, and not try to kill each other while in rest periods? What should I do with him when not running with the cows if not?

I would think with the number of cattle that you have, you would want only one calving season.

As far as bulls getting along in the same pen, some do and some don't. When they don't it can be ugly. Broken backs, pinched nerves ect.. Many folks do keep groups of bulls together, just be prepared to separate them if you have to.

I had 2 calving seasons, culled and changed till ive got them all to fall. I have a 45 day calving season but I AI everything up front. I like all my calves coming when i want them to and there all ready to sell at once. Sept and Oct im watching pretty close after there done calving frees up alot more time for me to do other things.
I do have a friend that has turned the bulls out year round after having defined seasons, says over the cows life she will have 1 more calf, and with todays prices its alot, sounds right but I still want mine defined.

What beanguscowgirl said on the bulls.

Rafter S":1tdvi5xf said:
I keep 2-3 bulls together in a 24 acre pasture, and so far haven't had any problems.

I keep two bulls in about a 3 acre lot up by the road. Let fight for a couple days off and on every year when I put them together. But they work out who's the boss and it all cool. B&G

Black and Good":3iofy6eg said:
Rafter S":3iofy6eg said:
I keep 2-3 bulls together in a 24 acre pasture, and so far haven't had any problems.

I keep two bulls in about a 3 acre lot up by the road. Let fight for a couple days off and on every year when I put them together. But they work out who's the boss and it all cool. B&G

They fight more when the ladies are present.

TennesseeTuxedo":29w7upse said:
Black and Good":29w7upse said:
Rafter S":29w7upse said:

They fight more when the ladies are present.

That's what i figured. May have a couple bred heifers in with them but prob won't. So is breeding 15 in a 60 day window unreasonable?

That's what i figured. May have a couple bred heifers in with them but prob won't. So is breeding 15 in a 60 day window unreasonable?

I don't know about unreasonable, but it may be difficult. You might want to start with a 90 day window first. When you get that, then you can always tighten it up more if you want to.

But calves 90 days apart will be different sizes for sale at 7 months old... but i guess that's better than all year long. I'll prob back my spring calvers up til fall since i have 3 or 4 heifers in that group and will give them time to recover and then breed all from Nov 23 until Feb 21. . Calve from sept 1 till dec 1.

I would say 60 days is a very realistic window for 15 cows provided all or most of the other variables - feed, condition, health, minerals etc etc are taken care of.

goddy":2m26vnlt said:
I would say 60 days is a very realistic window for 15 cows provided all or most of the other variables - feed, condition, health, minerals etc etc are taken care of.

I think so too. I split mine spring and fall. Felt like I got lucky this fall. Only had 12 but they came within 80 days. The lucky part being the bull was virgin plus managed to lame up during the breeding.

fitz

I have a life long friend who shares Bulls with me. He spring calves and I calve late summer. We each keep the Bulls about six months. He runs Herefords an I run red simmentals. We both select cows for cross breeding. I AI cows I want most of my replacements from. Are Bulls are used to each other and you just don't see them fighting plus we have far less bull expense. Mel

if your going to cut from year around to one short season, you should start for a six month calving season the first year, 4 months the second year and then back to the length you want

the bulls will be fine together. you absolutely need to tighten up an get a true calving interval.run the half over as open to match the half that are calving where you want. will cost you 6 months on half your cows but better to buckle down and get it done. no point making this a 3 year saga.

When you get ready to tighten your season, have you considered selling the cows that don't currently fit the desired schedule and buying some that will? I'd think that might be preferable to trying to keep a bull away from them for 6 months, especially if you have neighbors with bulls that might want to come across the fence and "help out".

Since cows are not my only income i will prob just let my springs fall back to become fallers. I'll just sell less calves in 2016. By doing it that way. Everything i have now is bred and will calve spring through fall next year but pulling him out in feb and not putting him back till nov in 15. My there is a3 acre pasture between the bulls and my cows that we keep some weaned calves andall has barb, 4x4 fencing, and 2 strands of hot wire so them getting to them
shouldn't be a problem. Ijust don't want either 2k# bulls to get hurt

Latest posts