Breeding schedule

Help Support CattleToday:

Butterbean_Farms

Reaction score
Anybody have any advice on how to transition into a scheduled breeding season, from bulls with the cows 365 days per year?

I just sold all my old bulls, due to keeping heifers, and am thinking on running my new bulls for 6 months, then 5 next year, and so on, until I get to a 60-90 day breeding season.

Neighbor did this 2 years ago. He palpated/ aged and sold all older cows. Had 80% or so 5+ mo the bred. The remaining 20% we're either short bred or open. Sold them... Kept the bred cows and started his herds.

Its expensive to do. You will have to sell some of your best animals because they are at the tail end of the calving season.

My advise is to allow 3 to 4 years to get it where you want. Pick the month you want to calve. Try to move up your best cows about a month per year to that month. Some cows will cull themselves when they don't rebreed. Pregnancy checking is a must as is pulling bulls. Make sure you have somewhere to put the bulls away from the herd.

One way is start out with 2 seasons. Say 90 days spring and 90 days fall. If after a year or so, you want to cut back to one season, sell the least productive herd.

Midtenn":2kg5oxpl said:
One way is start out with 2 seasons. Say 90 days spring and 90 days fall. If after a year or so, you want to cut back to one season, sell the least productive herd.

Agreed... If you take too long and carry open or short bred cows 3-4 years I dont think it will pencil out. Probably be better to sell short bred and opens and buy replacements to fit the schedule you want.

Latest posts