Breeding Older Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Gale Seddon

Reaction score
I posted back in December about two older cows (5 and 6 yrs.) that spent time at our farm to be bred. They were both heavyweights and after several months here, we returned them, assuming they were not pregnant.

Turns out that one was pregnant :) I just got an e-mail that she calved last night but the calf was still-born :( I don't know any other details. Too bad.

Older cows at 5 and 6? Those are just about in their prime of life

dun

Sorry, forgot to say that they'd never been bred before they came to us. We said we'd give it a try (gave it quite a few actually). They were preg-checked a couple of times while here (1st check one was confirmed pregnant, the other open...2nd check both open...back with the bull, then home, no third check).

At 5-6 years old our Longhorns are just getting their juices flowing good! Some of our best breeding females are in the 8 to 14 year old range. LH breed well into late teens; some do fine in their early 20's!

Running Arrow Bill":3cdwu2e9 said:
At 5-6 years old our Longhorns are just getting their juices flowing good! Some of our best breeding females are in the 8 to 14 year old range. LH breed well into late teens; some do fine in their early 20's!

I hear ya, Bill, and I agree! The problem with these two cows was they'd never been bred before and were sorely in need of the Jenny Craig plan. I wonder if the one who did calve will be able to do it again! The owner wants to try again.

Gale Seddon":gxdtg0f5 said:
I posted back in December about two older cows (5 and 6 yrs.) that spent time at our farm to be bred.

Since when are 5 and 6 year olds 'older cows'? These cows were in their prime.

Gale Seddon":1umo8tfm said:
Sorry, forgot to say that they'd never been bred before they came to us. We said we'd give it a try (gave it quite a few actually). They were preg-checked a couple of times while here (1st check one was confirmed pregnant, the other open...2nd check both open...back with the bull, then home, no third check).

Yes, that would put a whole other slant on things - sorry.

With that additional little tidbit of information, I would have to say those gals need a one-way ticket to town, unless, of course, you're interested in a couple of pets.

Latest posts